2013 IM Mentoring

.....for those happy to help and those who want help

261 to 280 of 336 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/07/2012 at 09:05

20/07/2012 at 10:31
Daz wrote (see)

Recommend 'Going Long' for general advice on long-d triathlon.  Nicely condensed.

I find "Going Long" really difficult to get my head around. Guess it depends on your learning style. If you need to understand what you're doing,and be in control of it all, it's probably good. But it doesn't "tell" you what to do.... and the only example plans in there (even for "Novice Nick") start at about 16 hours a week.

For my money... Fink is a much better book for finishers... Going Long for competitors.

20/07/2012 at 11:10
GP feel free to message me for any advice you need , i aim to be at Henley either in a do the half and support the pirates or just support role
Fink for me when i was doing my first couple of IMs it was my bible Freil required to much working out my training is now a sort of mish mash of the two with some Gordo chucked in as well
20/07/2012 at 14:20
Pixie you moaning on here to lol I never stood you up you didn't return my im's I went bed crying thinking you had ditched me still at least you went so well done
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/07/2012 at 17:27

I was tooo scared of you not to go!! You stood me up to go shopping of all things!

20/07/2012 at 17:36
Lol sorry Pixie, it was raining didn't want to get my hair wet just had my hair done
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/07/2012 at 18:47

see I knew you wouldn't stand me up for anything as silly and girlie as shopping!

20/07/2012 at 18:50
20/07/2012 at 18:56
Ridgebackmax (is there an acceptable abbreviation?!) thank you. I bought Fink, forgot about it, arrived on desk at work this afternoon after a looooooong lunch and my roommate commented that I looked like I was about to vomit. C'est la vie! May need some assistance with interpretation!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/07/2012 at 18:57

GP that sounds like fate!!

20/07/2012 at 19:59

GP, if you got Fink today, what plan (if any) did you do the Outlaw off the back of? Or did you just wing it somehow?

It's a good book, with some good tips for managing time well.

And no, reading it does NOT count as training.

Unless reading it whilst turboing of course! 

Razor51    pirate
20/07/2012 at 21:24

ST.......I see your really working hard to fit all your rest days in again........

20/07/2012 at 21:26
Hey Razor it was just a mix up doing 15 miles in morning
20/07/2012 at 21:43
GP RBM is fine
KK why the Finkophobia? Both books bring something to the party and have good and bad points when i was a newbie i had never heard of the pirates and knew no one who had done an IM Fink was my saviour
Razor51    pirate
20/07/2012 at 21:49

ST.......Ok I believe you .....but I want a full report tomorrow......

The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/07/2012 at 21:51

M...eldy    pirate
21/07/2012 at 01:20

Fink/Friel/Fred Blogs ... they are tried and tested methods but wont suit everybody

No reason to suggest that any one should ignore one or the other but I would certainly advise being familiar with a number of plans and methods before choosing one that appeals to you and suits your lifestyle which is much like the distance itself.

With regards the distance itself, no reason to tell someone who comes onto the forums who wants to do (in their opinion) the ultimate challenge of Ironman that that's not where its at any more ... those of us who came in to IM at whatever stage came in because it was a challenge and have gone on to achieve one or many of them, opinions are great as long as you allow others to have one and allow the receiver to have the choice.

21/07/2012 at 07:08
Melds the voice of reason WTF is going on
I personay think ironman is right up there as one of the most difficult challenges a normal working person can undertake. The race is the easiest bit its managing to train without p!ssing off your family, friends, boss whilst keeping mentally strong and injury free thats the hard part
I look at other stuff from time to time but it just seems to invlol e to much time commitment
Gyraffe    pirate
21/07/2012 at 07:30

Admittedly I'm a bit odd, but I think the race itself is the reward for all the hard work leading up to it. Particularly when it's your first one. If you've done the right thing in training, not overdone it, tapered well and got a sound nutrition strategy you can trot round in relative comfort and astound yourself with how brilliant you are. It's a great feeling. 

21/07/2012 at 09:32

Im has been great for someone like me who has never been atheletic and yet have an adventurous spirit and wants to test the limits.  Although not gifted with any sporty genes I have a lot of focus and determination and used that to teach myself front crawl and then ride a bike etc.  The difference it has made for me is that it is now a lifestyle and the race is just as RBM has said in the past the 'icing on the cake'.  I now drink less and generally lead a much healthier lifestyle than I did once and really look forward to events such as the Chiltern 100, Ballbuster etc which are build up races and where I meet fellow Pirates.

Shorter races would be no good to me as my deficiencies are just exaggerated and it is IM which first captured my imagination as an incredible endurance achievement which at that time seemed impossible for anyone (let alone me) to achieve.  I dont think IM is better and I take off my hat to Olympic distance athletes who are at the front of the pack exhibiting V02 max's which would blow me away but it is not what motivates me.

Anything which can give you the fantastic experiences of different people, places you would never have visited ( Embrun) and a healthier lifestyle - including mind - cant be bad  

261 to 280 of 336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.