2013 IM Mentoring

.....for those happy to help and those who want help

281 to 300 of 336 messages
21/07/2012 at 10:40
M...eldy wrote (see)

With regards the distance itself, no reason to tell someone who comes onto the forums who wants to do (in their opinion) the ultimate challenge of Ironman that that's not where its at any more ... those of us who came in to IM at whatever stage came in because it was a challenge and have gone on to achieve one or many of them, opinions are great as long as you allow others to have one and allow the receiver to have the choice.

Well said there, Melds.  I know that echoes my sentimentality on that point.

purpletrilady    pirate
21/07/2012 at 11:14
slimshady wrote (see)

Im has been great for someone like me who has never been atheletic and yet have an adventurous spirit and wants to test the limits.  Although not gifted with any sporty genes I have a lot of focus and determination and used that to teach myself front crawl and then ride a bike etc.  The difference it has made for me is that it is now a lifestyle and the race is just as RBM has said in the past the 'icing on the cake'.  I now drink less and generally lead a much healthier lifestyle than I did once and really look forward to events such as the Chiltern 100, Ballbuster etc which are build up races and where I meet fellow Pirates.

Shorter races would be no good to me as my deficiencies are just exaggerated and it is IM which first captured my imagination as an incredible endurance achievement which at that time seemed impossible for anyone (let alone me) to achieve.  I dont think IM is better and I take off my hat to Olympic distance athletes who are at the front of the pack exhibiting V02 max's which would blow me away but it is not what motivates me.

Anything which can give you the fantastic experiences of different people, places you would never have visited ( Embrun) and a healthier lifestyle - including mind - cant be bad  

Totally echoes my views. Doing an IM had totally changed my prespective on life, definitly one of the best things I have ever done.

Mr StOat    pirate
01/09/2012 at 06:56

Ooooh, Mentors

I could really do with a bit of support / guidance but really what I need is a regular @rse kicking.

I started Tri's in 2010 with the Cheltenham off road super sprint and then added a couple of sprints in and knew I was hooked. 2011 saw 2 sprints and an oly, also tried to get better at running with 2 halves and a full mara (Beachy head). 2012 - so far its been 2 sprints and oly and HIM (Cotswold 113)a half mara and I'll be back at Beachy mara in October.

I'm going to Outlaw in 2013 - I've read all the stuff about it, the Pirate support looks amazing, the race itself looks great and I want to do it - something I've wanted to do really since my first super sprint. That and it will be well before I'm 40 (well, just before I'm 40). I will also be cycling London-Paris so I have several motivators for the bike side of things, the swimming is coming on ok and I want to get the run cracked so I can do better in straight marathons.

Im based in North Staffs / Cheshire borders. Swim at Boundary park, run with Biddulph running club and cycle anywhere (I take the bike away with me on work trips around the UK). I love cycling, I'm getting into the swimming but the run is, and possibly always will be, my poorest discipline.

It would be great if someone sees fit to give me some guidance / prodding

Blisters    pirate
02/09/2012 at 23:18

Note to silent mentor...

First tri completed last week, 400 pool 22k bike 5k stagger. Chuffed that nobody overtook me on the course, but passed loads. TR analysed my performance and chewed my nads for the "run". He was right.

Swimming at 47 min for the mile, with some left in the tank.
Bike yesterday was fun. Group 1 ride of 60 miles, out to Great Malvern and over it. Leg mangling pace. Nads not on display, but slightly tender.

Next race Sunday at Cheltenham. (500m/15k/3k)
Starting to consider negotiations for 2013 HIM and IM bookings. I've an idea to do the local mara for the hell of it. Or vengeance.

VT'd    pirate
03/09/2012 at 21:16

LOL @ KK, a scary good cop/bad cop mentor. 

Blisters    pirate
04/09/2012 at 00:29

KK, I wasn't making a dig at you, I know that you are

A) busy
B) trying to keep your own life balanced with some training thrown in

and

C) NOT MY MENTOR

I was typing an open feedback report to someone who's big enough and ugly enough to stand up for himself.
As you were.....

Mr StOat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 22:41

Right, I've entered Outlaw.

I've got a few books just arrived from Amazon - Iron fit, 24 week ironman training, total immersion, chrissie wellington and a few others.

Anyone willing to take an enthusiastic IM newbie under their wing? So far I've done up ti HIM (albeit slowly) so looking to pop my cherry and see how I can do

13/09/2012 at 23:28

Have I arrived too late to find a spare mentor?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/09/2012 at 06:38

Matt I've entered bought Iron fit, got Chrissie's book, Going Long, Swim Immersions ...... and I thought it was the kit that was expensive!

14/09/2012 at 17:56

Matt you have mail.

M...eldy    pirate
14/09/2012 at 18:53

Crow Bag - we seem to know little about you and poss vice versa

Hang around the forums, get to know people, tell us a bit about yourself and you will find that you will get to know who you can work with ....this seems to have worked in the past
Pick a thread (current flavour would be the Fatman to Ironman thread) and join in the discussions

Someone will look after you 

Monique    pirate
21/09/2012 at 09:50

I've not been on for ages but am happy to mentor. I do answer emails and texts honest. Having retired from all things triathlon related in rather abrupt style at Avon Tyrrell this June I have turned my attention to gardening and chutney manufacture.

If you are the type of person who no one will coach because " You would be a nightmare".

If you dream of qualifying for Hawaii, but are equally likely to be distracted by an invite to enter the coal carrying word championship the week before an important race.

If you don't believe abstinence makes you a better athlete.

If you can hold a sensible converstion about brassica defense and have a few courgette recipes up your sleeve.

Then it could be a fruitful arrangement (for my veg at least).

If you are none of the above then it wouldn't matter I  get along with pretty much anyone.

WildWill    pirate
21/09/2012 at 09:52

seren nos    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:23

did any one else read moniques post to the tune of..... If you like pinacolados..and getting caught in the rain

flyaway    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:24

I had a mentee, but she's decided she's got better things to do, so I am also free to take someone on. I would prefer to mentor someone I have at least met, but I dont mind a newbie, or someone with a couple under their belts.

TR
21/09/2012 at 12:09

Blisters could have Monique as well as the Silent one as mentors or more like menthols !

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 12:10
Doner Kebab    pirate
23/09/2012 at 00:02

i dont know if i need mentoring, i probably just need a good slap

The Silent Assassin    pirate
23/09/2012 at 10:37
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

i dont know if i need mentoring, i probably just need a good slap

depends on if you would listen!

23/09/2012 at 18:47
Hiya everyone,

Currently in the market for a mentor if anyone's available and willing to help.

40 year old Yorkshire bloke (probably having a mid life crisis) who's entered for the Outlaw next year having never done a triathlon before...

Preparation thus far has been 20 years of drinking and smoking followed by 1 year of not drinking, not smoking and some swimming, running and cycling.

Got my first Triathlon booked early October (Holmfirth Sprint) so no idea what to expect. Read a few books by so-called experts and a couple by self-admitted non experts which have inspired me to 'go long'.

Am up for the challenge so just need someone help me along the way. All offers welcome!
Monique    pirate
24/09/2012 at 11:19

Doner Kebab I can do slapping.

281 to 300 of 336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.