2013 IM Mentoring

.....for those happy to help and those who want help

21 to 40 of 375 messages
M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 17:59

I'm happy to mentor, if anyone's interested.

FB
RBM
KK
Happychap
Gyraffe
IronHolgs
CD
Melds

Edited: 05/07/2012 at 17:59
seren nos    pirate
05/07/2012 at 18:03

I am happy to join the list incase someone is desperate 

05/07/2012 at 18:10
Does it have to be for IM, or can it be HIM or Oly?
kittenkat    pirate
05/07/2012 at 18:10

fb, waff has sort of hit on this point a bit and I wondered if you think it would be a good idea to expand on it...

I think it might be hard for new people to decide who to choose and then actually approach them. We all know who we are and what sort of personalities would be suited to whom.

Maybe, and only a suggestion, new people say a little bit about themselves and you personally suggest possible mentors by name for them?

I'm saying this because you have a good grip, having been around so long of the different personalities and skill sets of us all.

M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 18:19

Schmunks I would say that if someone wants a mentor for a HIM or an Oly that they approach the person they think would suit and ask ... this started off as a spot of pyramid selling for IM but no reason that it shouldnt diversify as the Pirates have done
Dont be offended tho if that mentor just wants to mentee an IM

kittenkat    pirate
05/07/2012 at 18:52
M...eldy wrote (see)

Schmunks I would say that if someone wants a mentor for a HIM or an Oly that they approach the person they think would suit and ask ... this started off as a spot of pyramid selling for IM but no reason that it shouldnt diversify as the Pirates have done
Dont be offended tho if that mentor just wants to mentee an IM

I still think that this isn't an online environment that someone who has been lurking for a while, might feel comfortable approaching people personally. Not because there aren't good intentions here but because, like with any group, online or not, I feel it's hard to have the onus on you to join, better an approach where you get welcomed in by being approached rather than having to approach.

I say this having years of experience of trying to solve the problem in the grass route to elite debate in sport in regard of the connectors that bring people into continuing sport. I think the onus should be on the established people to nurture at every level the new people.

kittenkat    pirate
05/07/2012 at 18:53

Hence my suggestion to fb. That might not be the best way, it was just off the top of my head.

Bedders..    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:03

fb mentored me in 2009 and it was down to his help that I emotionally dragged myself over the line for my first IM in Zurich.

So I am more than happy to offer myself up for mentoring. However, a few words of caution:

• I am over 48 years old (!)
  • I still have another IM in me
  • I think I can compete with the under 30's

Nuff said!

FB
RBM
KK
Happychap
Gyraffe
IronHolgs
CD
Melds

Bedders

Edited: 05/07/2012 at 19:03
Nurse Ratched    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:04
kittenkat wrote (see)

fb, waff has sort of hit on this point a bit and I wondered if you think it would be a good idea to expand on it...

I think it might be hard for new people to decide who to choose and then actually approach them. We all know who we are and what sort of personalities would be suited to whom.

Maybe, and only a suggestion, new people say a little bit about themselves and you personally suggest possible mentors by name for them?

I'm saying this because you have a good grip, having been around so long of the different personalities and skill sets of us all.

Since I've been reading and posting on this forum, all the Pirates (and everyone else, for that matter) have been, without exception, friendly, welcoming and encouraging.
However, if you took a huge group of people off the street at random and put them in a room together, with the best will in the world it's unlikely that they would all get along like a house on fire.
I think that if you're going to have a mentor / mentee relationship it would be good to know you were going to 'click' with the other person, which might be tricky if your only knowledge of them was their posts on here.
So I think it probably is a good idea to have some way of matching personalities/attitudes/approaches, but finding the best way to do that, I shall leave to someone more experienced! 

Huge thanks again to all those willing to help us newbies.

05/07/2012 at 19:08
Hi I'm Silver Trucker and I'm looking for an IM mentor. I'm from a rugby back ground so find it hard not being part of a team especially when it comes to training. I'm more stubborn/competitive than skill/technique. Im in 2nd year of Tri with 5 sprints and the full boar middle first year and just 3 sprints and hopefully full boar middle this year. I'm a non swimmer I can splash about to stop myself drowning I'm not a cyclist but can ride a bike and unfortunitly I'm not a runner either but can find my way round a half Marafun and have booked on Rutland Marafun in November. I'm 38 (39 end August) 16 stone 6ft1, I live in the Midlands Leicestershire. I'm a hgv driver who gets up at 2/3am in the week so no chance training before work ( I know I'm a lightweight) but do finish around midday. So the question is would anyone like to mentor ME
M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:10

Lol Bedders!!   Dont we all  

Nursey ... things work themselves out and I suspect even lurkers will get a feel for a personality online and will have an idea of who they would be able to work with
We have in the past posted a brief resume I think which is no bad idea

05/07/2012 at 19:10

I think I managed to break my last mentor     

kittenkat    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:15

Nurse Ratched (Baconlube CEO) wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Since I've been reading and posting on this forum, all the Pirates (and everyone else, for that matter) have been, without exception, friendly, welcoming and encouraging.
However, if you took a huge group of people off the street at random and put them in a room together, with the best will in the world it's unlikely that they would all get along like a house on fire.
I think that if you're going to have a mentor / mentee relationship it would be good to know you were going to 'click' with the other person, which might be tricky if your only knowledge of them was their posts on here.
So I think it probably is a good idea to have some way of matching personalities/attitudes/approaches, but finding the best way to do that, I shall leave to someone more experienced! 

Huge thanks again to all those willing to help us newbies.

Well this is my point, I think that some people with great mentor potential who aren't as vocal on the forum as some others, could be overlooked. Also I know that some potential mentors wouldn't feel confident in their own physical performance enough to realise what they could impart to other beginners, especially with emotional support. Conversely other people who seem on a 2D level like 'Internet Pirate Gods' aren't really. This is where the Internet skews things, and a system where someone like fb said... This is what Kate is like as a personality in the real world and this is where her skills lie... This is what meldy is like and she's really good with people who... Etc etc

kittenkat    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:19

This is Mouse, she'd never volunteer as a mentor, but look at her journey and I think she could help you...

And all of those conversations!

(Look at me with my professional head on, but you can apply what I've done for years for just getting people into sport and trying to jigsaw it to facilitate everyone to achieve, to here, it's universal.)

Britrisky    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:27
Shall I start, then? [yes, ok]

I'm doing my 1st tri next weekend, an Oly
I can swim a mile in the pool fc but not fast
I've done 4 OW swims and am gaining confidence, and a similar story with the bike - longest ride 33 miles

Happy running - did 1st marathon in April - 4:18. Doing another in Oct - in a running club but not a tri club.

My main issue is support. I'm really busy with 3 jobs and 2 adopted kids, but I'm confident of finding the time but not the support. Our kids are hard to handle and it's tricky to negotiate my OH being stuck with the kids on race day, or not coming at all. To many that might not seem a big issue but to us we haven't really found the solution yet.

I have Fink and have read it. I have a heart monitor but have never trained in this way. I'd love to do IM next year and am stopping myself from signing up to a 1/2 IM in Sept, at least til after my first Tri and OH agrees.

I live in Hull.
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:28
Sorry wouldn't ever wish to mentor anyone. I have enough stress dragging my sorry carcass around

But always happy to answer questions
Bedders..    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:35

Britrisky - I think your biggest problem is that you live in Hull!   Everything else makes you perfect Pirate IM material.

And you will find as much support on here as you need. Believe me. It doesnt come more supportive than this.

Good luck and you will do it if you want it badly enough. 

See you at the Challenge Henley Half in October then!

IronCat5    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:38

Britsky - as a recent graduate of this sausage factory, one with 'little time' to train, it can be done. It was hard work to find the time, and it was a good test of how much I really wanted to do it. Your OH looking after the kids is support at its very best, whether they're there on the day or not.

Admission: I'm not throwing my hat in the mentoring ring as I'm still wet behind the ears with only 4 tris to my name (KK will probably disagree with me on this one...).

mellifera    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:51
I am happy to mentor too. I don't really feel the need for a match maker as I am happy to work out with an individual personally whether and how we will run the relationship.

I'm probably more suited to an improver than a beginner. I'm a scientist which probably influences my attitude to training.
M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:52

and a sound medical knowledge eh Meli? 

21 to 40 of 375 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.