2013 IM Mentoring

.....for those happy to help and those who want help

41 to 60 of 336 messages
M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 20:34

Meli, you should talk to Flyaway she could give you a crash course in stitching 

Failing that, I do needlepoint  

05/07/2012 at 20:39
I'd love to be told what to do by meldy
M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 20:40

Try 'feck off' for a start then  

05/07/2012 at 20:42
I had a feeling you might say that
05/07/2012 at 20:42

Small Seal Pup for adoption:

Female, 25, South West.
Wanting to 'go long' next year. Love all three disciplines, though not particularly proficient in any.
Incredibly competitive within herself, constantly wants to improve.
Is a scientist, logical and methodical, hard working, enjoys cake, fruit tea and playing ball.

Requires a supportive home as work/life/location mean clubs etc are off limits and thus this seal is currently flying solo, which is difficult due to a lack of knowledge and hard to keep self motivated.  Requires someone who doesn't mind having questions regarding the application of the Fink inter/competitive plan. 

Warning: due to a lack of self confidence this seal can at times suffer severe self doubt and go through puddles of negativity, usually a mackrel sorts it out.

For more information please apply within. . . . 

Tommygun2    pirate
05/07/2012 at 20:44

Not sure if I need a mentor as such but I do need some one to hold my hand ( not literally) and help me with OW swimming Its my biggest stumbling block......I can swim FC ok in a pool but the thought of OW swimming petrifies me... I did join the local tri club but they didn't really have any OW swim session. I think I need someone to go with for the first couple of times just to get me started....  The bike and run bit is not a problem, well sort of..

mellifera    pirate
05/07/2012 at 20:44
I'm sure that will be very useful if I ever injury my fetlock.
M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 20:45

M...eldy    pirate
05/07/2012 at 20:46

Tommy, I think I know where you are but for the benefit of others,where is you local OW venue ??

05/07/2012 at 21:18

Tommy...come and join Slag and me at Holborough lake near Maidstone. PM me for the details.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:22

Ok, I'll go next.

41 (and a half) years old, hubby, two kids (6 & 4).
I work 3 evenings a week as a community nurse (district nursing, in old money).  Hubby is a tool of the fascist state (his words), so works shifts.
I have two hours every day Mon-Fri free for training during term time, and weekends and holiday time I fit training around hubby & kids.

Started running in 2008, never been fast but am ok with that, just love to get my shoes on and go for a run.
A friend persuaded me to do the Kindrochit Quadrathlon last year, which is when I started swimming and cycling.  Again, nothing special when it comes to either of those, but enjoy both.
The thing which amazed me about the Quad was that my body kept going for 15.5 hours non-stop, and I didn't die!
Same friend planted the IM seed and since we did Kindrochit for my 40th, and she's 40 next year, 2013 will be our IM year.

Doing my first tri in 3 weeks , oly, Gullane Beach. 

I am a complete technical / jargon numpty but a willing learner! Am also a stubborn, determined old bag when I set my mind to something.
Recent life events have led me to adopt the mantra,"Life's too short, JFDI" 

Tommygun2    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:25
Ok might just do that.....i'm sure once i get going i will be fine its jist that first time thing.....
purpletrilady    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:44
EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

will someone mento me to a 2013 finish

Ill be doing the Outlaw or IMUK .......... based in sunny sunny kent

Whereaouts in Kent are you?

EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

will someone mento me to a 2013 finish

Ill be doing the Outlaw or IMUK .......... based in sunny sunny kent

Tommygun2 wrote (see)
Ok might just do that.....i'm sure once i get going i will be fine its jist that first time thing.....

Happy to swim with you at Leybourne or Holborough

05/07/2012 at 21:59
Hi Purple
I'm in Cliffe nr Rochester & swim at Holborough
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:02

Nurse / KK - I think you two would work.... No BS, straight to the point, both like running, dogs, kids, cake, coffee - met one of you, speak a lot with the other... just my three pennies worth

(going to go and hide now as I'm sure that something i've said will be incorrect and i'm going to get bollocked!)

I have approached my mentor, someone who I respect from afar immensely, and I believe I will be able to relate to, someone who's few words of encouragement over the weekend meant the world to me, and they've said yes - so that's me loved up again

05/07/2012 at 22:05
If anyone wants to help get me mentaly through the last weeks of training before IM Wales, I would really appreciate it. I'm struggling to keep motivated after a long 10 months training. Swinging from feeling fit, strong and ready, to being tempted to bin the whole Ironman thing as too much of a sacrifice.
Ironholgs    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:12

Crux - that's normal mate. Just try and focus on the positive and use the nervous energy to get the most out of the last crucial weeks. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts. Get your head right, it's a formidable weapon in your arsenal. Just think of how far you've come, don't quit now.

05/07/2012 at 22:16

Crux, 10 months in, 10 weeks to go............hang on in there, it'll be worth it on the finish line

05/07/2012 at 22:21
Am available this year, not bothered whether it's a sub 10 or achieve a life long goal.

I like gadgets and use training peaks to map training and log workouts.

Motivation is a good thing but you wouldn't be here if you weren't eh ?

Can provide experience about racing/training/nutrition more than anything else but happy to 'help' with training structure, what I can't provide is the reason to get out the door when it's raining, snowing or just plain not nice, that's yours.

Interested, you know where I am.
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
05/07/2012 at 22:31
Crux,
Take a week off, freshen up then hit the next 8 weeks with a vengence

If training is getting you down, maybe throw a half IM in or a sportive - remember what racing is like....

Anyway, i am happy to mentor someone, probably someone trying to go 12ish or under - can be a novice, or improver.
I am a crap swimmer, good biker and a surprisingly solid runner.

When i was mentored by Gom i was very enthusiastic... I was probably.like an excited puppy
I base most of.my approach on going long/gordo/ heart rate zones....
Err yes i am a bit of a data freak/ scientist type of approach....
41 to 60 of 336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.