2013 IM Mentoring

.....for those happy to help and those who want help

121 to 140 of 336 messages
06/07/2012 at 19:14
***lurks***

I was chuffed with my swim & bike times on Sunday (16mins quicker for the swim & 40mins quicker for the bike) but wasn't able to see what I could do on the run.

Off for dinner now but will read properly later.
Tired Badger    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:19

Thanks Silver trucker, I've PM'd happy chap, thanks.

06/07/2012 at 19:20
Nurse Ratched (Baconlube CEO) wrote (see)
Tired Badger wrote (see)

Maybe someone good at lists could update the list of newbies and their mentors, or nebies that still require a mentor.

You're out of luck TB.  There's no-one on this forum who's good with lists.............

How very dare you?  Just cos I ain't posting, it doesn't mean I ain't lurking

Britrisky    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:23

I've switched my PM thingy on now ...

I don't have a mentor yet - any suggestions / offers? 

seren nos    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:24

i think you need a new swim mentor Schmunkee...............have you considered asking Plum 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:26
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
Nurse Ratched (Baconlube CEO) wrote (see)
Tired Badger wrote (see)

Maybe someone good at lists could update the list of newbies and their mentors, or nebies that still require a mentor.

You're out of luck TB.  There's no-one on this forum who's good with lists.............

How very dare you?  Just cos I ain't posting, it doesn't mean I ain't lurking

Ironholgs    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:30

I'm full now as well, good luck everyone.

ps: Britrisky - I love Hull, went to uni there and think it's a great place

Bedders..    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:46

As I have mentioned before, having done only 2 IM's, I am happy to mentor but I have the following house rules:

1. No moaning.
  2. No wingeing
  3. No "I don't know if I can do it" type attitude
  4. No helpless and hopeless
  5. Lots of positive attitude
  6. Loads of "can do"
  7. Lots and lots of "I am going to do this as this will be a superb journey and when I cross the finish line (which you will) it will be one of the most fantastic things I have ever done.

Right, now that's out of the way, anyone interested please PM me.   

Edited: 06/07/2012 at 19:47
Running Postie    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:46

Does anyone want me as a mentor or have I missed the boat?...... again.

I might be able to help with the science bit as I am, *cough*, a P.T. and I would be happy to help. I have been coaching my OH for the past 2 years (GB age grouper). I do like a good challege and would be interested in taking on a complete novice. I live east coast way, not that it would make much difference.

Edited: 06/07/2012 at 19:47
mellifera    pirate
06/07/2012 at 19:57
I want to like your post bedders!
06/07/2012 at 19:59
Right back atcha Badger :0)
Britrisky    pirate
06/07/2012 at 20:02

Postie I've PM'd you ...

Britrisky    pirate
06/07/2012 at 20:06
Ironholgs wrote (see)

ps: Britrisky - I love Hull, went to uni there and think it's a great place

It really is, its just that it has such a bad press some are even too scared to go there!!!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/the-hull-marathon/193511.html

Bedders..    pirate
06/07/2012 at 20:08
mellifera wrote (see)
I want to like your post bedders!

....an old softy at heart

Edited: 06/07/2012 at 20:09
06/07/2012 at 20:22

Postie I need you! Or anyone else willing to take on a complete novice....unless you all tell me that an Ironman in 2013 is a daft plan...

I haven't done a triathlon before. I haven't got a road bike.

But I can run - slowly! - (x country 10k sub 50) and I can swim - also slowly! - (pool mile just under 40 mins). At the moment I run 25-30m p/week over 4 sessions and swim 2-3m over 2 or 3 sessions. And I cycle to work every day (albeit a shortish distance and currently on a MTB). 

So I am not completely useless, and would (begrudgingly) defer to the wisdom of other Pirates and go for a 70.3 first if you could convince me it was a better plan...But, I'm in a bit of a training lull and I am looking for a challenge. Preferably a big one. I am the keenest bean you will find and have heaps of time to dedicate to training....what does anyone think??

06/07/2012 at 20:27

Hmmm realised I missed out the vital stats - I am female, 26, based in S.West - and I'd be happy for a virtual mentor, as I have a performance analyst and a PE teacher on hand (2 brothers!) to help me through day to day training if I need it....

Bedders..    pirate
06/07/2012 at 20:30
yellowrubberduck wrote (see)

So I am not completely useless, and would (begrudgingly) defer to the wisdom of other Pirates and go for a 70.3 first if you could convince me it was a better plan...

Nooooooo. Dive in to IM and don't look back! I did one pool based sprint tri, then signed up for an IM straight away and did it a year later. Make a 70.3 part of the training for IM...mad but that's what my mentor told me to do

.........fb......nuff said.

Edited: 06/07/2012 at 20:33
Running Postie    pirate
06/07/2012 at 20:38

Bedders are you having the same problem as me with my 'faceless shadow'?

yellowrubberduck wrote (see)

Postie I need you! Or anyone else willing to take on a complete novice....unless you all tell me that an Ironman in 2013 is a daft plan...

I haven't done a triathlon before. I haven't got a road bike.

But I can run - slowly! - (x country 10k sub 50) and I can swim - also slowly! - (pool mile just under 40 mins). At the moment I run 25-30m p/week over 4 sessions and swim 2-3m over 2 or 3 sessions. And I cycle to work every day (albeit a shortish distance and currently on a MTB). 

So I am not completely useless, and would (begrudgingly) defer to the wisdom of other Pirates and go for a 70.3 first if you could convince me it was a better plan...But, I'm in a bit of a training lull and I am looking for a challenge. Preferably a big one. I am the keenest bean you will find and have heaps of time to dedicate to training....what does anyone think??

PM me duck

06/07/2012 at 20:48
seren nos wrote (see)

i think you need a new swim mentor Schmunkee...............have you considered asking Plum 

Oi, not my fault I don't know the difference between 25m and 400m

IronCat5    pirate
06/07/2012 at 20:51

Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

seren nos wrote (see)

Oi, not my fault I don't know the difference between 25m and 400m

Well....your last swim mentor did let you down and leave you to it.....in waist deep water!

Edited: 06/07/2012 at 21:04
121 to 140 of 336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.