2013 Outlaw Bike Feed/Support Thread

Volunteers, please: the more, the merrier

201 to 220 of 984 messages
seren nos    pirate
09/05/2013 at 13:23

yes there was a special needs table at the end of the pirate feed station.this was available to all competitors so was fair............you have to stop to access it though probably.....

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/05/2013 at 14:08

Whether there is a special needs station will depend on the race instructions and where our feedstation is in relation to the course?  There is only one designated Special Needs station and it may not be the pirate feedstation.

This year the course has changed, you travel in the reverse directions and complete 1 southern loop, 1 northern, 1 southern (I think).

Aside from special needs its not fair for us to allow individuals to provide outside assistance to competitors, aside from it being against the race rules it would not reflect well on us if we didnt treat all participants equally.

Anything we dont know about is a different matter, we havnt got eyes in the back of our heads.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/05/2013 at 14:13

Another option if you dont like the drinks at a particular event. 

Mix a bottle with 4-5 x strength drink in a bottle for your downtube (well mixed syrupy sludge) and decant/squeeze a portion into your aero bottle before feedstations and add water to desired strength.

09/05/2013 at 18:01

Good idea about the creating a bottle with 4-5 x the strength and diluting in route.   Surely though if I put a box on the feed station myself and stop at the feed station myself to collect my own bottles that cannot be classed as outside assistance?

09/05/2013 at 18:05

Think I might make up a bottle with 4 times the strength.  Then I can dilute 4 bottles of sis with water and then carry water to hydrate as too much sports drink is not good on the the stomache.  I think this is the better option and stops any questions that may be asked

M...eldy    pirate
09/05/2013 at 18:06

I suppose the answer to that Ozzy is ... what if everyone did the same thing?  Why should you be able to do something that others cant?
There are ways round it, whether you make use of the Special Needs station which is there for those reasons or carry what you need and use water from the aid stations but I really would guard against leaving stuff at aid stations and expecting them to be there when you come round again

Rafiki    pirate
09/05/2013 at 18:16

There is also the practical side of things. We start to set the feed station up about the same time you start the swim, so when would you place your own bottles there?

09/05/2013 at 18:27

Just trying to get an understanding of how feed stations work.  I think I will go with the dilution idea as it sounds good to me.  Cannot see how it wouldn't work, makes sense to me.  I find it a bit odd how only one brand of supplements are provided at events as different people use different things

seren nos    pirate
09/05/2013 at 18:33

because they use the one who sponsor them

09/05/2013 at 18:41

The one that gives me the s***s!  SIS for me it is!

09/05/2013 at 19:21
Ozzy287 wrote (see)

The one that gives me the s***s!  SIS for me it is!

You're lucky, virtually all of the brands out there, gels included, really screw up my stomach. I finished Bala not knowing which direction it would explode first.

I carry the one type of electrolyte tab that doesn't have this effect either with me or in my special needs bag. I use the water from the feed station. I have to use solid food to fuel me, which again is either in my pockets, bento box or special needs bag. 

Having done feed station duty, I can tell you that anything left lying around that isn't part of the special needs section is highly unlikely to survive.

11/05/2013 at 09:17

I've had a read through the posts and 7755matt has put me down on the list (with concent) but just wanted to check am I also best registering with OSB and stating that I'm down to do the pirate FS or will you send us through as a group? Im still trying to get into the forum side of things so apologies if this is a stupid question previously answered. 

Youll be please to know I am experienced at running feed stations and have mixed more drums of high 5 than I care to remember. (May bring my whisk!!) 

oh also want to do the swim so not sure if that helps my case re contacting OSB myself??

ta muchly

11/05/2013 at 09:32

I get the impression that with Barley and Schmunks overseeing our feedstation, then we don't need to register with OSB separately.  I have a feeling that this means you would potentially be 'double counted'.  Although I would wait for further instructions from Barley and Schmunks, don't take my word for it.

11/05/2013 at 09:38

Mrs Matt - no need to register for the feed station. Not sure about the swim, but I think Barlos puts the names forward as a group for that too. Whisks are supplied too. 

The Silent Assassin    pirate
11/05/2013 at 09:41

I have always registered separately with OSB, that way you make sure you get you free t shirt, food and free entry into the big swim, just make sure when you register you say you want to go on the pirate feed station

11/05/2013 at 09:46

Thanks all will hold fire for a bit....!  

SA you not at parkrun today either?

11/05/2013 at 09:50

Ah - so take your choice Mrs Matt. Thanks SA. Good point about the t shirt and grub cos there wasn't enough to go round last year. 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/05/2013 at 11:35
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

Half price High 5 ISO gels at wiggle folks great for decanting into bottles for the bike

11/05/2013 at 12:42

Mouse is right.  Barley and I oversee everything.  By registering twice you do get double counted.

As for t-shirts, packed lunch etc, again Barley and I collect those and make sure we have enough for all volunteers

As for the swim, previously OSB have asked us for names and distances.  Previously Barlos oversaw that, but last year I asked people to contact OSB directly as I had enough on my plate.

It would be great if things were co-ordinated through Barlos so that there is only one chain of communication with OSB.

It also means we can blame him, and only him, when it goes tits up! 

11/05/2013 at 13:14

Okay, noted Schmunks.  

Ta. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.