30th Blaenafon Tri 12 May

21 to 40 of 65 messages
14/01/2013 at 11:01

Plenty of time Seren. When I used to race this I didn't start big hills till March/April

seren nos yn canu    pirate
14/01/2013 at 11:15

thinking of doing the route tomorrow if the weather is fine.......

14/01/2013 at 13:49
seren nos wrote (see)

thinking of doing the route tomorrow if the weather is fine.......

The snow & Ice will have melted by then. I hate those climbs so have only rarely rode any of the route except on race day. Always used the Tumble climb, Llanfoist to Bleanafon as my 'training' hill. Not quite as steep as the steepest bits on the course, but a nice constant gradient that just goes on & on & .......

14/01/2013 at 14:55

I did the beginning of the first hard climb yesterday.  That's no hill.  That's a cliff.

Slugs, I've done that one on a mountain bike but not my road bike yet.  Might venture up there next Sunday.

14/01/2013 at 15:09

oh maybe i won't go northwards tomorrow

Iron Pingu    pirate
14/01/2013 at 15:24

Slugs, where's the steepest bit then, I always think it's a section on Oak lane, not long before you come out of the woody section onto the mountain bit.  I prefer the British to Oak lane!

14/01/2013 at 17:23

Yes Pingu, thats the killer bit although there is a section a bit lower down when you're alongside the stream thats almost as bad.

The worst bit about The British is the road surface & the way it just seems to stretch for ever upwards.

DimTimTris wrote (see)

That's a cliff.

Slugs, I've done that one on a mountain bike but not my road bike yet.  Might venture up there next Sunday.

16/01/2013 at 08:57

We are now full. BUT there is a waiting list set up on EntryCentral and over the last few years I've gone through a list of 30+ reserves to ensure we have a full race. So if you want to race with us get your name down, I cant guarantee you a race but I'll do my best.

09/04/2013 at 12:21

A couple of the NEWTs are intending to ride the bike course on Saturday  14 April. All welcome to join in. Meeting at the Pontypool Active Living Centre ready to leave at 11:00am.

Pace is said to be 'steady' - we'll see!

Hopefully the snow & ice on the top will be gone by then - no I'm not joking, the road was unrideable in a couple of spots last Friday evening!

09/04/2013 at 13:32

saturday is the 13th isn't it

09/04/2013 at 13:45
seren nos wrote (see)

saturday is the 13th isn't it

Silly small calendar. Keeps catching me out. Sorry Seren yes Saturday 13th April

12/04/2013 at 15:44

Hello.....me again..........

aren't you glad that i have entered............re the swim....after a converstion on another thread it would appear that not all pool swims have lap counters........

do you have people counting laps or do i have to start learning how to swim and set my garmin up for it.......

I did actually swim yesterday without a pullbuoy to see if my breaststroke or crawl was easiest/ fastest

thank you

12/04/2013 at 16:27

Be nice to race with some other pirates!  Although ... I can't see me 'racing' those hills.

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/04/2013 at 16:43

They've got 'counters' at the end of the lanes to count for you.  You get the 2 lengths to go warning.

DimTimTris, you're lucky you know what's coming, I've seen quite a few people on the course who were a little, erm surprised the them hills!!

12/04/2013 at 16:55

thank you Pingu........on eless thing to worry about and i did the distance in the pool yesterday without a pullbuoy......had to take a couple of rest breaks but I'M SURE WITH THE ADRENALINE ON THE DAY I WILL BE ABLE TO MANAGE IT IN ONE GO

DTT,,,,it should be a good race.....

12/04/2013 at 16:56

i would have receed the course on saturday with the newts but i need my legs for the 100 milers in hay on sunday if I am to keep up with Pingu and BBT.......

12/04/2013 at 17:03

I would have done it too, but can't on Saturday. Hoping to do the Blorenge climb at least on Sunday morning. 

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/04/2013 at 21:03

Do you fancy the Hay Sportive DTT?  There's a 35/65/100 mile options

12/04/2013 at 21:52

I would but only have maybe 3 hours Sunday morning before family stuff!  Damn, wish I'd know about it, might have arranged something.  Hay ... that's going to be some hilly riding

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/04/2013 at 22:47

Yeah, it's billed as hilly, mentions something about might wanting to get off and walk at some points!!  Still, don't think it can be as hilly as Blaenavon

21 to 40 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.