5:2 fasting diet - any experiences/views?

41 to 60 of 68 messages
Running Postie    pirate
10/02/2013 at 17:47
A guy in my office started this 5:2 diet and has lost 2 1/2 stone in 4 months, personally, I like my grid too much. I do try and stick to au natural and have been paleo- ing it since jan 1st and have lost 10 lb and feels tons better for cutting out, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread.
10/02/2013 at 19:55

Of all the places to read about it, the Daily Mail will be doing a bit on 5:2 fasting tomorrow (Monday)

meface    pirate
10/02/2013 at 22:27

Oh bugger has the 5:2 diet affected the price of my house? Or did Diana do the 5:2 diet?

flyaway    pirate
11/02/2013 at 10:10

Immigrants, coming over here, taking our diets....

Doozer.    pirate
11/02/2013 at 12:35

Fasting day two is underway.  Swim training tonight may be interesting

Tommygun2    pirate
12/02/2013 at 08:48

Today is my first day fasting. so I will see how it goes.

12/02/2013 at 09:02

I did a fast yesterday with a swim session in the evening and it was fine. I think I'm getting used to it and I feel quite well, with increased energy. I don't strictly count the calories though, just reduce the amount I eat my about 2 thirds. So yesterday was cornflakes for breakfast, a large bowl of fresh broccoli soup for lunch and 2 boiled eggs with bread and marmite for tea before swimming. 

But if the Mail is on the band waggon I might stop with it, don't want anyone to think I read that.  

12/02/2013 at 10:21
m..eface wrote (see)

Oh bugger has the 5:2 diet affected the price of my house? Or did Diana do the 5:2 diet?

No, it can save you from cancer though http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2275971/The-Two-Day-Diet-saved-breast-cancer--late.html#axzz2Kc1uq8ZF

I fully expect them to have a contradictory article in a few months!

12/02/2013 at 10:35

bloody typical OTT article from the Daily Rant.

although the fasting diet is "thought" to confer some protection against the development of cancer and other diseases, there is no clinical evidence to say it does - it's all extrapolation from animal studies (mice mainly I think).  and to prove so would require an extensive and lengthy clinical trial which as far as I am aware hasn't been set in motion.

the only positive result from the diet is that it helps some people lose weight - and if that confers the other health benefits in some unknown way, fine

12/02/2013 at 10:37

Thats a shocking article - typical Mail. Losing weight could protect your health, who da thought i? grrrrrr - I hate the Mail. You'll get some crank now going on the diet instead of having radiotherapy or something.   

13/02/2013 at 09:19

Hello! Not wanting to spam, but xine pointed me in this direction and asked me to write something about fasting on my blog. So here it is if anyone is interested

Linky thing

Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 09:22

First day of fasting over and was not much of a problem, lunch time was abit tricky but thats probably more a habitual thing. Anyhoo all good sofar.

Will look at your blog Sarah

Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 09:35

OK have read your blog Sarah, and a very good read it is to.

13/02/2013 at 09:59

TG - try cuppa soups for lunch.  they usually have less than a 100 cals and as most of it is water, it does help to keep the stomach fuller. also dead easy natch!

13/02/2013 at 10:30

sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Hello! Not wanting to spam, but xine pointed me in this direction and asked me to write something about fasting on my blog. So here it is if anyone is interested

Linky thing

Thanks Sarah  I think that is one of the most balanced posts I've read on the diet (which are usually either "OMG, it's brilliant" or "OMG, it's horrendous")

Part 2 has some really good tips on how to combine the 'fast' days with exercise too

Edited: 13/02/2013 at 10:31
13/02/2013 at 17:38

Thought I'd try this - first day today - I've probably already eaten upwards of 500 calories and I'm starving.   I'm going to have more like 1000 on my fast days - I figure that it's still a calorie deficit twice week which I wasn't otherwise having.   

JD.    pirate
13/02/2013 at 19:31

a fat guy at work is doing this (along with almost everyone else, but he really really needs to lose weight and seems to be taking it seriously) .  he's got 10 packet soups adding up to 600 cal that he drinks during the day.  seems to keep him going without hitting the snack cupboard in the evening.

JD.
Tommygun2    pirate
13/02/2013 at 20:08

By my calculations I did about 550 cals yesterday, it was quite hard around lunch time but stuck to driking black coffe no sugar, wich I found I actually quite like, seemed to take away the hunger pangs. My 2nd day is tomorrow as over the next few days I have things to do that will mean eating and drinking normally

JD.    pirate
13/02/2013 at 23:04

all good thanks KK, i even get a bit of spare time these days.  i trust you're keeping well.

JD.
14/02/2013 at 09:25

Green tea isn't a bad option - I can't stand it in tea bags but I tried some stuff my brother brought back from China and that was nice and since then I've been buying  loose leaf green tea which I find makes a nice change from coffee and normal tea.   

41 to 60 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.