A pirate outing to Northern France in 2013, August Bank Holiday

this looks good for something different

81 to 100 of 197 messages
30/08/2012 at 18:09

Yep, two weeks on a picture perfect beach thinking how much I miss being abused by the pirates in general and you in particular! 

M...eldy    pirate
30/08/2012 at 18:10

30/08/2012 at 18:13

To be honest, I think it is the other way round, when I'm not about you havent got anyone else to bully and abuse! 

M...eldy    pirate
30/08/2012 at 18:15

Wanna bet ? 

30/08/2012 at 18:18

Stop filling up my inbox with emails telling me there has been a response! 

And yeah, I'll take that bet! Who else do you abuse?! (and dont tell me you don't love doing it!) 

M...eldy    pirate
30/08/2012 at 18:20

Have you made that muppetry mistake of ticking a notification box?

M...eldy    pirate

let me know when you have unticked it

M...eldy    pirate

do you know where to untick it from?

M...eldy    pirate
30/08/2012 at 18:21

I am not sure I know ..

M...eldy    pirate

but I can have  look if you like

M...eldy    pirate

tick

M...eldy    pirate

untick

M...eldy    pirate

tick

M...eldy    pirate
30/08/2012 at 18:22

tock

M...eldy    pirate
30/08/2012 at 18:22

bored now  

Mr StOat    pirate
30/08/2012 at 21:09
This looks ace, but I'm cycling Paris - London that weekend. I have, however been working out where we'll be and *if* I can detour to do a sprint en route
Dustboy    pirate
02/09/2012 at 20:25

Just got back from sunny France. Nearly didn't thanks to some fecking twat in a 205 who doesn't know what the stop line means in Ardres. I mean, how hard is it to see a six foot three fecking wasp on a bike??? My lucky six inches again!

Anyway, earlier, we passed by the new venue at Gravelines. It's large, looks brand new, in a fabulous location and the lake effectively joins the motorway at the south end of the town with the A road above it. Just short of Dunkirk, which has plenty going on and loads of shops. About twenty mins drive from Calais. I couldn't get in to the venue though, as I was only the passenger in the car and they had detoured so I could take a shufty.

The surrounding roads are lovely and smooth and mostly....drivers are bike considerate. Hills are non existent, but quite a few shortish drags up to a couple of miles or so which sap a bit? I could get up seated but puffing a bit on a Cross bike single speed 42/17 (or was it 18). Just checked Garmin, 100M a mile for 3 miles was the worst (any mathematicians?), Just worked it out, 6.25% (didn't feel like it).

Roads are wide and at least one side of the lake is at least partially protected from the wind by a massive earth wall tens of feet high. It can get a bit breezy though with a constant blow going seemingly all the time across very unprotected roads, mostly surrounded by flat fields and no trees.

In short, looks good. IMO.  

Dustboy    pirate
02/09/2012 at 20:26

PS, what does "pas de mincer" mean?

03/09/2012 at 09:53

ta for the info Dusty - sounds good.  the wind is something that we can do bugger all about - it's pretty flat around that part of Northern France, much like it is around the Romney Marshes where the Marshman tri is help so if you want to get an event in that's similar to Chtriman, then do Marshman - start the season with a 1/2 and finish it with a 1/2!!!

on another note, I've heard back from the organisers on the date for next year - it's Sunday 1st September so not the Bank Holiday w/e which is the weekend before.   that may pose problems for some as I guess the 2nd is 1st day back at school for those with kids.

so those who are interested, stick that date in your diary and let's get a good turnout at this one

M...eldy    pirate
03/09/2012 at 17:40

fat buddha wrote (see)

ta for the info Dusty - sounds good.  the wind is something that we can do bugger all about - it's pretty flat around that part of Northern France, much like it is around the Romney Marshes where the Marshman tri is help so if you want to get an event in that's similar to Chtriman, then do Marshman - start the season with a 1/2 and finish it with a 1/2!!!

on another note, I've heard back from the organisers on the date for next year - it's Sunday 1st September so not the Bank Holiday w/e which is the weekend before.   that may pose problems for some as I guess the 2nd is 1st day back at school for those with kids

arse!!  and those who have just booked the weekend off !!!

81 to 100 of 197 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.