A pirate outing to Northern France in 2013, August Bank Holiday

this looks good for something different

141 to 160 of 196 messages
25/06/2013 at 09:20

rolldown is doubtful  - 5 qualifier places per event (x3) although 25 per age group (as hosts we get more than the usual 18).

that leaves 10 places for pre-qualifiers, discretionary, and roll down.  if you look across event results there are guys consistently quicker than me who would be first dibs for rolldown places so I don't expect the call

wasn't aware you were injured - but plenty of time to get it sorted for Ch'triman. could be a good test for it??

25/06/2013 at 09:22

rolldown is doubtful  - 5 qualifier places at Deva and Dambuster, with 7 from Liverpool (Nat Champs)  and 25 per age group (as hosts we get more than the usual 18).

that leaves 8 places for pre-qualifiers, discretionary, and roll down.  if you look across event results there are guys consistently quicker than me who would be first dibs for rolldown places so I don't expect the call

wasn't aware you were injured - but plenty of time to get it sorted for Ch'triman. could be a good test for it??

25/06/2013 at 09:23

ignore 1st of those 2 posts - edit went wrong!

25/06/2013 at 09:51

Good morning

As this will be my first tri I've got a couple of questions.  Does the cut off time for the swim include the transition time for the bike or does that come out of the bike time.  Same question for the run.  Is it worth my reading up on the rules and if so where can I find them?  Please.  Thank you.

Dustboy    pirate
25/06/2013 at 09:52

FB/Cat. Just out of curiosity, what is the qualification for a GB place on say a Sprint time (400/21K/5K)? Or is it within X% of the winner? How does it work?

I wondered how hard you guys are pushing and how much of it is down to structured training/naturally gifted/whatever

IronCat5    pirate
25/06/2013 at 10:47

For all distances you need to be within 115pc of your AG winner for the worlds and 120pc for euros. Then you need to be within X places for most events, or discretionary for some longer distances. 

I think it is mainly the ability to hurt built on top of training. If you're naturally gifted then even better. 

25/06/2013 at 10:51

DB - to qualify, you need to be within 115% of the winning age group time for World Champs (120% for European) and be placed within the 1st 5 positions (that nummber can vary depending on event).  the winning time itself doesn't matter - it's position that counts.

if you're not top 5 then you may get in on rolldown but still need to be within that overall % to qualify - outside you won't.

JB - swim cut off time is from start of swim to exiting water into T1.  bike cut off time is to entry into T2 (overall time from start).  same for run - overall time at finish - is only usually applied in a Championship event/Ironman etc where there is a published cut-off time.

you can download BTF rules from here plus the recent updates (all minor stuff) - http://www.britishtriathlon.org/take-part/events/british-champs/rules-and-eligibility - click on the links

but remember, Ch'triman will be run under French tri rules so there maybe some slight differences

Edited: 25/06/2013 at 10:57
25/06/2013 at 11:06

Thanks FB, perhaps I'd better have a read up.  Btw, I went with the T2+ bars in the end. 

25/06/2013 at 12:16

I'd forgotten about this event due to my plan for a sabbatical year from Long Distance Tri,  however as I'm travelling back from Central France that weekend I could be very close to the venue.   Will check with 'er indoors to see if ferry booking has been made already but would be good to have an event in the diary to reacquaint me with this swimming lark.

25/06/2013 at 12:49
Dustboy wrote (see)

Love to but will be out of commission for a while. Look forward to race report though including travel/accommodation arrangements.

Since Dusty's blown me out, is anyone else interested in a relay leg or two?  I don't swim, but I could be pursuaded to do a bike leg of the half distance (but be warned that I am NOT fast).

Edited: 25/06/2013 at 12:49
Trogs    pirate
25/06/2013 at 22:23
fat buddha wrote (see)

I think you mean € not $ Trogs...  

Indeed I did but my laptop doesn't have a Euro key and I couldn't be bothered to search for a shortcut key

Wilkie wrote (see)
Dustboy wrote (see)

Love to but will be out of commission for a while. Look forward to race report though including travel/accommodation arrangements.

Since Dusty's blown me out, is anyone else interested in a relay leg or two?  I don't swim, but I could be pursuaded to do a bike leg of the half distance (but be warned that I am NOT fast).

I'll swim for you Wilkie if you can find someone to do the run.

26/06/2013 at 11:04

Thanks, Trogs! 

Can I tempt anyone to a half marathon??

26/06/2013 at 12:22

Oh beaten to it - I was going to offer to swim!!

I am deffo not doing the middle this year - my head (and body) have completely gone to pieces after Outlaw this year and I've been doing little training and hating what I have been doing

However I am up for the sprint now as attending a tri club pal's funeral yesterday has helped remind me about a few "life truths" so the self pity mode is about to be shoved back into the deep dark recesses of my head and this will give me a focus without pressure

Not sure re accommodation yet as I am very local to Dover but don't want to do just a day trip as half the fun is the whole supporting, boozing stuff

Trogs    pirate
26/06/2013 at 19:25

Seem to remember someone early in the thread saying there are campsites close by.

26/06/2013 at 19:30

Camping?  Wash your mouth out with soap!  

We've booked an hotel.  Or should I say, THE hotel.

Trogs    pirate
26/06/2013 at 19:40

Hey Jaffa, if you don't fancy doing the whole lot and ferry bookings permit, how about just doing the run for Wilkie and me?

26/07/2013 at 13:39

I guess that's a NO then!

26/07/2013 at 15:02

Wilkie,  I was in denial that I might have to run further than the 3 miles max I've been doing recently...........and also in line with my legendary personal organisation skills,  I've not yet sorted what ferry we're on!

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/07/2013 at 19:32

Also pre-empted - I was going to offer to swim (although I'm slow). Can't do the run for you I'm afraid, am banned from more than 10km due to my prosthetic hip.

31/07/2013 at 09:59
Went over yesterday and had a trundle round the bike course.  A lot of flat sections-good road surface, some of it in the process of being relaid-a 1k 10% hill at around 20k into the ride (10% according to the road sign) which is approached from a left hand turn from a side street straight onto the side of the hill.  There were a few turns crossing the flow of traffic but there's not much traffic.  A few k on from the hill there was a long fast decent through woods but a dead straight road. A lot of the route is along canals so quite exposed to the wind and sun on the wrong day but a very fast course on a good one.  Yesterday was windy and raining so a bit grim at times.  It's not a technical course from a bike handling point of view, very first timer friendly and looking at the general condition of the roads you'd be very unlucky to get a puncture.  The swim venue is purpose built for rowing and watersports/triathlon according to the promotional material.  The site is very close to the motorway so was pretty easy to get to and access from Calais.  Graveline doesn't seem to have much in the way of hotels though.

141 to 160 of 196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.