A year without social media.

I am rediscovering the lost art of letter writing.

41 to 58 of 58 messages
kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 18:47

Jaspers is a legend. Now I'm completely down memory lane, what about The Star of The West down on Union Street. It sold cider that blew your fucking head off, it always struck me as funny that it was right next to a car dealership. I mean how many people vomited on the bonnets of those cars!

I'm also trying to remember the name of the pub just out of town that wrote the names of all the people who mananged 8 before 8 on the pub walls (8 pints between 5pm and 8pm). It had a pub parrot which must have eventually died of lung cancer.

Magna Carter    pirate
14/11/2013 at 18:51

don't remember the pub.... but do remember Pennys on Union Street near Star of the West

What about the James St Vaults!

kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 18:58
Magna Carter wrote (see)

don't remember the pub.... but do remember Pennys on Union Street near Star of the West

What about the James St Vaults!

I'm now trying to remember the clubs, there was the one we called 'the groin exchange' which I think was Grapes, part of a hotel. Do you remember the 3 crowns, I'm sure that had a club attached too. The guy I worked for in the Addy owned several pubs and clubs around the city, and of course his friends were other landlords. They were a tight bunch but once you got into their circle you were in. I used to get in everywhere free, with lots of free grog and drugs too if I wanted. Plymouth was a blast as a student, however as a slightly more mature adult (if in years and not mentality) I love Exeter where we now live.

Edited: 14/11/2013 at 19:00
kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 19:06

Mon, I've completely hijacked this thread, sorry but it's kind of funny since you're leaving social media.

Back to getting pissed in the West country. One of our races in our aquathlon series (we being exeter tri) is at Exeter University, we use the open pool there and then run round the campus. Having organised these races for the last 2 years, I always get there first to start setting up the pool etc... the run route goes out straight past the student uni bar and both years I've organised it there has been a shit load of broken bottles and mess outside the bar. Each time I've just thought that there must be some VERY sore heads in the halls on those mornings. My liver doesn't miss being a student, that's for sure!

Edited: 14/11/2013 at 19:25
14/11/2013 at 19:25

are you still here ? 

What a great way to start sending your Christmas cards out, then Easter then happy summer holidays !

enjoy the freedom from cyber space

14/11/2013 at 19:48

I also much prefer Exeter to Plymouth now, but I enjoyed my time as a student in Plymouth. It's totally different there now as the campus seems to have expanded massively as well as Barbican getting a facelift. 

JSV and Kitty's were our favourite places, as well as the Student Union as it was cheap. I remember one beer festival they had on and it was carnage in the union with all the students not being able to handle the 6-10% ale. I also remember one of my mates getting into a spot of bother with some naval guy in some shit hole on Union Street.

I'm talking 95-99. 

kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 20:01
Big_G wrote (see)

I also much prefer Exeter to Plymouth now, but I enjoyed my time as a student in Plymouth. It's totally different there now as the campus seems to have expanded massively as well as Barbican getting a facelift. 

JSV and Kitty's were our favourite places, as well as the Student Union as it was cheap. I remember one beer festival they had on and it was carnage in the union with all the students not being able to handle the 6-10% ale. I also remember one of my mates getting into a spot of bother with some naval guy in some shit hole on Union Street.

I'm talking 95-99. 

I went to Marjon, not the uni. Union street was always trouble, I remember one of the clubs being very dark and an old converted cinema or theatre? The problem with me is that I've always tried to stop fights and at one point I put myself between 2 friggin huge guys in a pub on Union Street. I didn't know either of them but I thought in my drunken state that they wouldn't punch out if there was a slight woman in the way. On that occasion a friend just forced me out of the way, but generally my tactic has always worked and women are better at stopping fights in that situation than anyone else.

I started doing that when I was growing up in the Welsh valleys and we all used to get into the pubs underage. It was quite a rough culture but I wasn't worried for myself, moreso for my older brother (you can just tell that any guy who had a younger sister looking out for them would cringe at this ). But if the violence kicked off, as it always did on the weekend, it was pissed guys wanting to be top ape and they would pick on ANY other guy. There was no way that I would let some twat beat the shit out of my brother for no reason other than the wrong place at the wrong time; so I always made sure that he had left and was safe before I left. Which he always had done, he's a really sweet guy and not a fighter, but stubborn so if someone had punched him he wouldn't run away even if he had no chance of winning the physical fight.

Edited: 14/11/2013 at 20:02
kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 20:24

If they had a genuine reason, of course I'd stand back and let them pulverise him.

14/11/2013 at 20:59

The Dolhpin and The Minerva are still totally unchanged i am happy to report the rest of the Barbs is ponced up or theme pubbed and Union Strasa is totally grim nowdays

kittenkat    pirate
14/11/2013 at 21:04
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

The Dolhpin and The Minerva are still totally unchanged i am happy to report the rest of the Barbs is ponced up or theme pubbed and Union Strasa is totally grim nowdays

The Dolphin can't change, it's surely one of the 10 commandments.

14/11/2013 at 21:19

My heart will

kittenkat wrote (see)
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

kittenkat wrote (see)
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

My heart will die a little if it ever does

Monique    pirate
17/11/2013 at 10:17
kittenkat wrote (see)

Mon, I've completely hijacked this thread, sorry but it's kind of funny since you're leaving social media.

Don't about it, it is the way of all threads. ( not you specifically, well you know what I mean).

Red Stripe 20th November is my first day away from social media. I am looking forward to it. So far I have 28 friends  prepared to take up the pen and write back.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/11/2013 at 13:32

For me the letter writing is ok when you're not communicating with friends and relatives in other countries, post is just too slow going back and forth between Europe, Japan, Oz and the good old U.S. of A.

Monique    pirate
18/11/2013 at 09:42

Yes, it  is a slow way of communicating. I have been giving this a lot of thought though and realise that all "forum" style talk is to a set of people rather than an individual. Letter writing is private and intimate and aimed solely at one person. Private messaging is the same as texting and telephone and I'm not giving up the phone, so  instant communication is still there. 

I will find out if the way we write to each other  has changed with the advent of social media. On Facebook, even with privacy settings and friends you "know" I communicate in a certain, for public, way.Certain topics are never discussed, and a jokey persona is maintained. That makes it sound like I will be writing Morrissey style angst ridden tombs. I just think,theories more scope for variation in a personal letter.

Monique    pirate
18/11/2013 at 09:43

That's tomes.

20/11/2013 at 14:59

I went off to travel foR a year in Africa where if lucky I got post every 4-8 weeks at a Poste Restante ( post office) that I had to collect and hope letters had been held.

Still have a number of hand written and typed letters from my dad which mean even more now he's gone.

he turned mundane daily life into something exotic without me feeling homesick ! I also enjoyed sending letters then reading them back with my parents and boyfriend now husband years later.

citizen 146    pirate
23/11/2013 at 00:26

guess you've gone now , good luck , everyone should own a fountain pen

Hope    pirate
25/11/2013 at 07:36

I love Mon. I received my first letter today and in true Facebook/Twitter form... She included a picture of her lunch! 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 58 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.