Aero disc wheel covers

Worth buying?

1 to 20 of 54 messages
07/09/2009 at 08:55
I'm interested in finding out your thoughts on aero disc covers, for example, as advertised here:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/aero-disc-covers.html

Are they worth buying? Do they have an improved effect on performance?

Thanks for your comments!
07/09/2009 at 09:34
no idea - never seem them before

but how good a cyclist are you? unless you can maintain a good 20mph+ on the flat with say a deep rim wheel, you're unlikely to get a huge gain in speed from a disc unless you get a nice tail/side wind......

but if you have $90 going free they could be worth a go - better than investing on a full blown disc I guess
07/09/2009 at 09:54
Never used one but a mate has a set and they look good and he reckoned he'd done a bit of research and they are supposed to be effective. 
JPenno    pirate
07/09/2009 at 10:38
07/09/2009 at 10:42
you go on Slowtwitch JP?? you nerd.........
cougie    pirate
07/09/2009 at 11:30
I've also heard that they're meant to be almost as good as a proper disk. I guess it depends on the course though - if its hilly then the extra weight would reduce the aero savings.

Could be worth a punt for the outlay ? I think they're legal for TTs over here - so I presume they'd be ok for tris too ?
07/09/2009 at 11:58
I have a pair on a Mavic Open Pro rim on a Powertap hub, fits perfect and performance is as good as my Corima Disc. I had them delivered to my hotel when over there, saved on postage costs.
cougie    pirate
07/09/2009 at 11:59
Cunning plan Pebble !
JPenno    pirate
07/09/2009 at 13:28
fat buddha wrote (see)
you go on Slowtwitch JP?? you nerd.........
ST is always good for a bit of Biff, if you think Tri Talk is serious you should read some of the bollox on there
07/09/2009 at 13:32
ST is a great site for info - but they do seem to spend most of the time with their heads up their arses......at least most Tripetalkers are only looking at their arses

JPenno    pirate
07/09/2009 at 13:36

A lot of the threads are about saving weight on the frame or which wheels are lighter, yet most to them appear to be in similar shape to me.

I have more spare fat round my gut than the weight of my bike, would be better off making an effort and losing those pounds than saving an ounce on a carbon bottle cage

PSC    pirate
07/09/2009 at 18:31
Do they make the same sound as a proper disc. Not worth it if they don't.

The sound of a disc wheel being ridden hard is awesome!
JPenno    pirate
07/09/2009 at 18:33
PSC wrote (see)
Do they make the same sound as a proper disc. Not worth it if they don't. The sound of a disc wheel being ridden hard is awesome!
Particularly if its either Graves or Rosey coming thundering past you on the IMUK course. Graves went past me faster uphill than I go downhill
07/09/2009 at 20:14
They dont make that "WHOOMPP WHOOMMMMMMMMMMMMPP" as you go past, but what it does is add weight to your wallet, several hundred to be exact. I have both, anyone want to buy a Corima disc
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
07/09/2009 at 20:22
I want a disc just for the "WHOOMPP WHOOMMMMMMMMMMMMPP"
PSC    pirate
07/09/2009 at 22:34
so do I.... it's such a gorjus sound!  The fact that a 10mph cross wind probably puts you in the ditch is a price worth paying!
PSC    pirate
07/09/2009 at 22:36
JPenno wrote (see)
Particularly if its either Graves or Rosey coming thundering past you on the IMUK course. Graves went past me faster uphill than I go downhill

of course it's not the wheel that allows them to do this.  Its just the fact that they are $hit hot cyclists!  I am deeply jealous of their abilities.  One day it will occur to me that I really will never be that good.  At the moment I delude myself that I could be if I did some proper training!

08/09/2009 at 06:17
Its not the disc that will put you in the ditch, its the deep section front wheel. Never had a problem with my disc even in gale conditions, its the tri spoke on the front, on windy days I keep the disc but switch to a semi deep front wheel such as a mavic carbonne. No probs then.
Doozer.    pirate
08/09/2009 at 07:00
Yep, big mid conception that disks are bad in the wind. It's the front wheel that gets twitchy. I am only ickle and ride a disk all the time, some wind helps propell you forward.

Hey pebble how is the TT's been going?
08/09/2009 at 07:06
Not too bad, my main aim this season has been the 25, got that down to 54:36 so well chuffed, broke 2hrs for 50, on a slow course, so will be looking at 1:50 on the U46/50 next season and a  long 20 for the 10M. I see you have been going well, maybe have a go on the P613 next season.
1 to 20 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.