After a bit of a bike ride...

.. with long downhill bits..

1 to 20 of 62 messages
07/10/2003 at 11:11
.. it is normal for your nuts to ache..?

somehow I can't see this one making it to the RW webcat section..

Dont caz it lads, serious question..
cougie    pirate
07/10/2003 at 11:14
Errr, could be. Have you got padded lycra shorts ? You need everything snug and secure, and comfy.

I 'have' got nut-ache from running with too little support though. They don't like all that impact.
07/10/2003 at 11:16

yep, have got padding, but maybe they just have to 'bed in' a little.
07/10/2003 at 11:18
I had this problem, not nuts aching but fanny aching, and just had to ride it out until the ache buggered off!

I have not tried the padded shorts yet but will do, good advice mr cougs as always!

Don't get same ache downstairs from running but do get it upstairs if you know what I mean!
07/10/2003 at 11:26
leaning forward tends to put pressure whree it ought not to be.. i.e. drops or tri bars.

i did a 10mile TT a while back almost 100% on the tri bars & couldn't feel a thing down below after.

07/10/2003 at 11:39
can feel it now mate.

Big time!
07/10/2003 at 11:39
Wolfy, you are PRICELESS!
07/10/2003 at 11:41
Numb nuts is the technical term, I think some of the guys on the pro circuit use special oils etc to harden certain areas(getting kinkier by the moment). Wolfy I think there is a magazine you might find empathy with it is called RV (figure it out for yourself) and is by female cyclists for female cyclists and discusses certain issues such as the ubiquitous fanny ache, padded shorts are definitely the way ahead but remember to keep washing them as much as possible or suffer the consequences (whatever they are!).
07/10/2003 at 11:43
NUMB?

.........anything but numb mate.

But I take your point.
07/10/2003 at 11:51
Mr Nessie always looks forward to the numbing sensation, which apparently is preferrable to the pain.

Wolfy - empathise. Padded shorts help the "I've bruised my bum bones" feeling, but use vaseline, as the padding can chafe a **very** delicate bit.............
WildWill    pirate
07/10/2003 at 11:52
Get yourself a body geometry saddle
07/10/2003 at 12:00
Is that for girlies as well as chaps, Will?
07/10/2003 at 12:02
Will

explain..
cougie    pirate
07/10/2003 at 12:15
Is that the one with the hole Will ?

For soft shandy drinking southerners !!!

(he says with the gel insert in his saddle)
07/10/2003 at 12:20

I drink shandies.... and your point is?
07/10/2003 at 12:23
maybe tilt your seat forwards a bit?

or play around with the geometry?

i regularly do 4 or 5 hour weekend cycles and never had that problem... plenty of others (toe nails falling off etc) but never that one

got a royalgel race saddle
07/10/2003 at 12:40
body geometry or gel saddles properly set up should get rid of numb nuts but I still get it on big climbs, probably because I have my weight further forward onto the pubic bone which causes the problem.
cougie    pirate
07/10/2003 at 12:45
I think it's *your* point where the prob lies Barkles ! ;-)

On descents you can raise yourself out of the saddle and just hover an inch or so above it. Your weight balance is the same, but if you hit a bump, your arms and legs will act as shock absorbers, and so it won't get to your nuts.

AC - toenails falling off ? Eeeek !

FbF I tend to try and sit farther back in the saddle on hills.

I do ride on the nose of it in Timetrials though.
07/10/2003 at 12:53
I've got a flite saddle and after the initial 'get yer arse to mould into the shape of the saddle' period, it's the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on... With the odd exceptions her and there...
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/10/2003 at 13:04
I think it's really just a matter of time Barkles, and testing different saddles/riding positions until your 'bits' get accustomed to the stress! It's no different for us women, just the pain is in a slightly different area.

Wolfy, I've got used to biking wearing a padded swimsuit during tri races, it took a while, and every season the first few rides are uncomfortable until your most sensiitve parts are accustomed again to hours on the bike. I find the worst is going for a pee while you're still sore!
1 to 20 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.