Alistair Brownlee post race interview

21 to 40 of 66 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/09/2013 at 10:08
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Pathetic BBC commentary. How bloody obvious was it when Al's foot first hit the ground on the transition line that he'd spannered himself? It was immediately and painfully obvious. And yet none of their "funny sport" commentary team noticed it. 

Yes, it was obvious something was up, even more so when he started out of T2 (in the background as Graeme Bell was doing his thing) much slower than the others.  All it needed was for Bell to actually watch what was going on and he's have seen it too. 

cougie    pirate
16/09/2013 at 10:34
I saw Graeme Bell in Henley last week ride through a red light. The numpty.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/09/2013 at 10:45

If he pays as much attention cycling as he does watching triathlon he'll be under a bus by the end of the week.

16/09/2013 at 11:37

On the subject of "celebrities not paying much attention to the ITU Final", I was on a little trot yesterday afternoon, just before race time, when Chris Boardman came riding past. Maybe he knew something we didn't? Unsurprisingly nice bike.

16/09/2013 at 11:49

" Ex cyclist in not watching the triathlon shocker "

Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/09/2013 at 12:08

But "founder of the company that supplies bikes to the Brownlees not watching" is perhaps more surprising.

16/09/2013 at 12:21

Next thing you know he'll be telling him to get to bed early and  to avoid late night

postings on social media sites   

Numpty is such a  gentle reprimand.    

Edited: 16/09/2013 at 12:23
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
16/09/2013 at 12:42

I thought the coverage was dissapoinying, the commentators just didnt seem prepared.

Chrissie was particularly dissapointing, she has a wealth of experience, she should have been there to give the viewer some technical or 'inside' info rather than repeating how phenomenal things were.

The cut to Graham Bell when the athletes were running the first quarter mile from T2 was particularly gawling, thats one of the most exciting parts of the race.

16/09/2013 at 12:55

it was generally poor all weekend i thought to be honest - complete joke at T2 as they didnt know what to do.

likewise when interviewing gomez at the end, they didnt care at all and she asked three pointless questions in a row.

Least CW thought it was good, or should i say phenomenal

16/09/2013 at 13:05

The racing itself was superb, the commentary was exceptionally poor. 

Was laughing out loud at Ali's comments.

cougie    pirate
16/09/2013 at 13:05
Thats spooky SlowerthanIlook - I saw him in Starbucks that evening.
Rafiki    pirate
16/09/2013 at 13:07

I thought the commentary of the ladies' race was much better with Annie Emmerson - but then she's used to be interviewing top class triathletes - like me and Flat Footed

16/09/2013 at 13:14

For all those criticising the commentators, at least they weren't Brendan Foster -

Now serious question, the Serpentine is about a mile long (one lap round the outside is 2 miles according to the Serpentine Running Club's 2 lap 4 mile handicap) so why did the men on their two lap swim have to clamber out then jump back in?  seemed a waste of time?

16/09/2013 at 13:20
Grendel3 wrote (see)

For all those criticising the commentators, at least they weren't Brendan Foster -

Now serious question, the Serpentine is about a mile long (one lap round the outside is 2 miles according to the Serpentine Running Club's 2 lap 4 mile handicap) so why did the men on their two lap swim have to clamber out then jump back in?  seemed a waste of time?

I think its so thet the TV audience can get a idea of who is in what position on the swim, I can't think of any other reason.

cougie    pirate
16/09/2013 at 13:20
It looks better for TV I think. IM races do it too sometimes. Otherwise its a bit crap for spectators.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
16/09/2013 at 13:26

I guess to some degree we should be grateful the BBC are showing red button and live coverage of a lot of Tri's this year.  It is a minority sport after all and its not likely they'll be throwing their best talent at it whether in front or behind the camera.

16/09/2013 at 13:29

Thanks

Just seemed to be a bit stupid to me especially as one of the swimmers slipped on the way out - 

16/09/2013 at 13:29
Tired Badger wrote (see)
Grendel3 wrote (see)

I think its so thet the TV audience can get a idea of who is in what position on the swim, I can't think of any other reason.

And also from a spectating perspective.  Would you want to stand along the Serpentine and see the athletes just once, or would you rather they did two loops so you got to see them twice?

16/09/2013 at 13:30

Two loops but I wouldn't expect them to have to clamber out and jump back in though. Oh well just wondered.

cougie    pirate
16/09/2013 at 13:31
I'd prefer them to come out about three times. Or maybe have them negotiate those big red balls and an assault course in the water. That would keep me entertained.
21 to 40 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.