Alistiar Brownlee wins again

If only he would give up on poncy cycling and swimming.......

21 to 40 of 74 messages
cougie    pirate
18/08/2009 at 15:23
Yeah that course was just too flat to break up the bike leg - but I cant see any other way that 2012 will turn out - that part of London doesnt have a hill in it that could split the pack - as far as i know ?
18/08/2009 at 16:49

I can't understand why they don't put the bike leg last.   You'd still get drafting but at least the bike leg wouldn't just be a way of getting from the swim to the run.   Even on a flat course It'd be worth attacking on the bike to get a small lead because you wouldn't have to hold anything back - at the moment you could put it all in to get a 10 second lead on the bike and end up losing minutes on the run because of the effort.   It could be a really exciting TV sport but it nearly always ends up as a second rate foot race.   

cougie    pirate
18/08/2009 at 17:21
Unconventional ! But imagine a bunch of triathletes sprinting out for the win. It would be very messy !

19/08/2009 at 08:09
These shorter, knockout races as featured on IMTalk are a buch better spectator sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwELlEv058&feature=related
12/09/2009 at 09:58

5 wins out of 5 in the World Tri Events. BBC News

Well done Mr Browmlee

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46364000/jpg/_46364967_richardbrownlee226b.jpg

Edited: 12/09/2009 at 10:29
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/09/2009 at 15:48
And his younger brother Jonathan is going after the junior title tomorrow too. Looking good for GB triathlon's future.
Edited: 12/09/2009 at 15:50
08/08/2012 at 09:37

I now claim first prize in the prediction stakes 

08/08/2012 at 10:15

It's a pretty awful spectator sport, isn't it? Bunch of identical robots splash round lake, then "de-robot" and jump on bikes for a few gentle laps of honour to please the crowd, then the skinny ones run off and leave the hefty ones looking like weekend joggers. Thankfully it's a little more interesting as a participation sport.

Could they do it as a time trial?

seren nos    pirate
08/08/2012 at 10:59

i like the idea of a time trial to see which is best but then its not as exciting and would take ages to do............

briliant race

seren nos    pirate
08/08/2012 at 11:01

i still wonder why drafting is allowed at elite level but not at crap level.........is it to do with international rules 

Iron Muffin    pirate
08/08/2012 at 11:09

I had heard the only became draft legal as it was becoming too hard to police otherwise.

The womens race finish was incredible and couldn't happen with a TT format.

Golden Boots    pirate
08/08/2012 at 11:10

Mainly because (I believe) that bunch riding takes a lot of experience / skills, and would pretty much make triathlon an inaccessible sport similiar to road and criterium racing. Let's not forget the reason for drafting was to make it more viewer friendly to allow it to be included in the olympics.

For me... I love watching elite level drafting races... I think people really underestimate the effort changes that are required by the guys when riding in the middle of the bunch... those are the guys that may struggle in the run because of it.

At the end of the day when it is still a very young sport... if it was non-drafting, I think you would still get the same winners race after race, and there would be the loss of excitement that comes with seeing somebody try to go off the front and breakaway... it just doesnt happen enough unfortunately.  I don't think you could have an Olympic non-drafting race unless you only have about 10 people racing... and the thought of a time-trial olympic race sounds extremely uninteresting.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/08/2012 at 12:08
Iron Muffin wrote (see)

I had heard the only became draft legal as it was becoming too hard to police otherwise.

The problem when drafting wasn't allowed was that some races were being decided on penalty times being added to finish times, with appeals over who was drafting who, etc.  Serving penalties during the race (as JB did yesterday) don't allow for any appeal, and deciding whether someone is drafting, making a legal overtaking move or leaving just the right gap is difficult anyway.  The IOC made it clear that if triathlon was to be included in the Olympics then it would be in a format where the winner was the first across the line, so draft-legal it had to be, really.

As for why drafting isn't legal for everyone, well at least in the UK there are different requirements for holding bunch cycling races as opposed to time trials.  I guess that triathlon cycling is classified as a time trial on the basis that everyone is supposed to ride on their own.  All the elite drafting races in the UK are on closed roads.  

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
08/08/2012 at 12:29

With the size of the pack in shorter pro tri races it became impossible to adminster the drafting penalties. Here in Germany, junior races are also draft legal, presumably with a view to allowing a seamless move into the senior ranks when the time comes.

"Amateur" triathletes aren't allowed to draft. Nor is it legal in Ironman races. Mind you, there doesn't seem to be any other woman fast enough to draft off Chrissie in an IM anyway!

08/08/2012 at 13:51

It's all a bit technical on here for me, but just wanted to add my own well done for the Brownlees - they are both truly inspirational and certainly motivated me to get out there for a run last night!

Now that Alistair has pretty much won everything in triathlon (according to the commentators yesterday) I wonder whether he'll move towards Iron Man now.......

Rafiki    pirate
08/08/2012 at 13:51

Mr Brownlee did give big hints this morning in an interview that he might target the 10000m at the Commonwealth Games in 2014.....as he needs a new challenge!! Could be interesting!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/08/2012 at 14:04

Does Yorkshire have a separate team in the Commonwealth Games?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
08/08/2012 at 14:21
Rafiki wrote (see)

Mr Brownlee did give big hints this morning in an interview that he might target the 10000m at the Commonwealth Games in 2014.....as he needs a new challenge!! Could be interesting!

New challenge..

I was wondering if I time would come when he'd look to have a go at an Ironman?  How many times does he want to win the ITU series etc before maybe looking at longer distance?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/08/2012 at 14:33
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I was wondering if I time would come when he'd look to have a go at an Ironman?  How many times does he want to win the ITU series etc before maybe looking at longer distance?

Quite a few more I would think.  Nobody has yet managed two Olympic golds in triathlon, so why would he move to an non-Olympic event?  As Macca found this year, once you've moved to long distance it's hard coming back to shorter stuff at the elite level, the sport moves on while you're away.

I also get the impression that amongst elite triathletes, rightly or wrongly, that long distance is something you move to when you can no longer (or never will) compete at the very highest level at the shorter distances.  I can't see AB or JB doing it until someone younger and faster comes along.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/08/2012 at 14:50

Im sure i remember an interview with him a while back where he said he was dead keen to move to IM racing but not until he's in his 30's

21 to 40 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.