Alistiar Brownlee wins again

If only he would give up on poncy cycling and swimming.......

1 to 20 of 74 messages
16/08/2009 at 17:10

......................he would make a really excellent 10K runner

Seriously good performance again from a very talented all round athlete

seren nos    pirate
16/08/2009 at 17:13

I was thinking about the time.........I thought that his 10k time was faster than the women in the world championships............

so which is faster a 10k on the roads or a 10k on the track??

16/08/2009 at 17:19

I think the fact that he is the No. 1 ranked 10K road runner in Yorkshire and ranked number 8 in the UK shows his pedigree at 10K.

As TS says, if only he'd give up the micky mouse tag on events he might give Mo farah a run for his money.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
16/08/2009 at 17:31
Please dont post the ladies result ive only just watched the mens race on iplayer and luckily saw the finish about 30 minutes ago.

Well done Alistair
K9
16/08/2009 at 17:48

I'm watching on i-player too!

Been watching intermittently all day.

Did my first tri yesterday which was Oly distance - this race is a TOTALLY different game!

16/08/2009 at 18:03

The 10k isn't accurate- official triathlon guidelines allow a variation of up to 10% in the race distances so a "10k" could be anywhere from 9k to 11k.

Claims from yesterday that he ran 2915 sesem unlikely as his best ever officially measured 10k in a top quality race is about 29:30. Similarly I think Will Clarke was timed at 27:45 for 10k at the London Triathlon- his best is about 30 minutes in a properly measured race. 27:45 would have him as fast as Farah!

Brownlee is regardless a very good runner - especially for his age- in his year group he's probably number one- though there are a couple that could beat him if they get uninjured for long enough (Pepper (used to be here!) and Deighton spring to mind) but he's not in the same class yet as Vernon from the year above. 

Smart too- got into Cambridge for Medicine but left in his first term to train harder whilst at Leeds.

16/08/2009 at 19:29

He'd make a really good British 10k runner but the step up to world class is a big one - as a triathlete he's already world class.   

They really need to sort triathlon out so the cycling isn't just a club run to get you to the run though - either the courses have to be hilly and technical or better make cycling the final discipline.   

The Silent Assassin    pirate
16/08/2009 at 19:39
K9 wrote (see)

I'm watching on i-player too!

Been watching intermittently all day.

Did my first tri yesterday which was Oly distance - this race is a TOTALLY different game!

Way to go K9

Did you enjoy it?

K9
16/08/2009 at 19:49

I think so Silent Assassin

Apart from sheer terror and tears before the start and a near drowning in the first third of the swim...

It was hard. Harder than I'd anticipated when i entered it. Psychologically as well as physically.

I've just put a report of sorts on the IM Germany thread if you can be bothered to read it.

16/08/2009 at 20:35
He is an excellent 10K runner, he doesn't need to give up cycling or swimming.

What's wrong with being a top-class triathlete? Just as valid as track & field!
cougie    pirate
16/08/2009 at 21:10
I reckon he is a better bet for olympic gold at tri than 10000 meters ? He gets gold and the funding rolls in...
16/08/2009 at 21:41

Quite an amusing thread on Tripetalk about this.
17/08/2009 at 21:27

Brownlee was excellent he broke the rest on that 10k, really good run. Tim don had a good race too.

I could'nt believe the 2 numptys that did an extra lap on the bike, omg you'd be kicking yourself after that

Why did they use road bikes and not triathlon bikes?

17/08/2009 at 21:31

"Why did they use road bikes and not triathlon bikes?"

I have noticed this in a few tri's. Anyone any ideas ?
oxymoron    pirate
17/08/2009 at 21:36
no penis helmets either
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
17/08/2009 at 21:38
In draft legal races they are only allowed to use mini clip on tri bars, also with being able to draft there is no benefit from riding an full aero setup.
17/08/2009 at 21:53

Arr k that makes sense, now that you mention it a couple of the guys did have short tri bars.

Cheers for clearing that up

17/08/2009 at 22:55

I see.
cougie    pirate
17/08/2009 at 23:06
Olympic distance tri for the elites is more like a bunch road race than a time trial.
18/08/2009 at 15:04

...................it's gone all tri talk techie stuff now

As a complete novice looking in it did seem to me that the bike section was merely a good warm up for the more talented runners to be ready to take to their feet and run fast!!
Given the devious ways in cycling to get the preferred rider to the right position - domestiques, the peleton ganging up on breakaways with multiple leaders and drafting to reduce workload and so on it may always be so and so the run assumes ever greater importance.

I did see  Brownlee win the very hilly 7 mile 2008 Chevin Chase in 37:19 from his younger brother and he was a very good looking road runner over an extremely tough course

1 to 20 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.