Am I the worst we have to offer?

And we ban people who question how we talk about triathlon?

21 to 40 of 52 messages
11/10/2013 at 18:38

Yes, I think we are. 

This also leaves us short of people who have learned a trade or skill because they are driven down the degree route whether it suits them or not. 

11/10/2013 at 18:39
Giving them degrees.

All 4 of our Sprogs have degrees, 2 have masters degrees ( Cambridge & UCL) and I can promise you none have been given them
11/10/2013 at 18:40

Though I don't think we are 'accepting' them, I think the government was/is pushing it. However, I think that's just the semantics of your question. 

11/10/2013 at 18:42
We said last night whilst watching a Educating Yorkshire when we were at skool people left at 15 and went off and did apprenticeships and learnt trades
11/10/2013 at 18:45

Yep my daughter's are working hard for theirs ones just finished and the others in year 2 of law neither are being given them, i think its great they get the chance but have worked very hsrd for it, i think around 2 people from my year went to uni from the awful comprehensive i left in 76

11/10/2013 at 18:48

I think thats the problem Dave a lot of companies sre just not prepared to foot the bill for decent apprenticeship training programs 

debbo    pirate
11/10/2013 at 19:03

I think if they were doing a job and were crap, then there is something wrong with the hiring practices, never mind the educational system.

i do agree though that education is being dumbed down And degrees are being devalued 

11/10/2013 at 19:04
I doubt if getting a Distinction in her Masters in neuroscience would qualify Sprog 4 to be your assistant
11/10/2013 at 19:08

im a bit anti degrees myself unless they are for proper things like engineering. I only got to where i am becsuse i lucked out that the web in a mainstream way had only just kicked off so employers didnt have the luxury of only picking those with a computer science degree. today i wouldnt get in the front door. and even now i firmly believe you could learn computer programming on the job and skip the 3 year degree. I still resent the fact that employers who hire me today wouldnt have even given me a look in if I was starting out just because i wasnt an  'acadamic' person.

11/10/2013 at 19:08

I'd like to know what percentage of information provided by the 'education system' is actually put to use on a day to day basis.

What does getting a qualification mean when the content of the qualification goes largely unused?

debbo    pirate
11/10/2013 at 19:33

The work ethic comes from the parents mostly though, and schools. I guess if these youth you're talking about are crap because they are lazy and have an bad attitude,that's one thing, but if they are crap because they are in the wrong jobs then that's not their fault.

12/10/2013 at 13:24

There are some professions where a degree or higher is about the only way you are going to get sufficient knowldge to be able to do your job from the first day that you are hired.  For example, I doubt that anyone would want to be treated by a doctor that had never cut open a body before or had a hands on understanding of how the body fits together.

But there are a lot of degrees that have little application to the real world when it comes to applying the knowledge to the job, and there are a lot of jobs were work experience is probably a better use of time than doing a degree.  It is these degrees that may dilute down the perceived benefit of higher education and may be responsible for the reduced wage that graduates often receive

14/10/2013 at 09:32

i don't think graduates do receive a reduced wage, it's their expectations that have been misled by todays society.  Most graduate jobs are 20k plus which for a 21-22 year old is a reasonable wage.

obviously if you've spent 9 years to be a doctor or 7 to be a lawyer that's a different conversation but for a 3-4 year degree it would seem reasonable.

I've always gauged wages by if you can make a £k for how old you are then you are doing ok.

14/10/2013 at 13:10

I think in many ways you're all argueing the wrong argument. We live in a digital age and that is the biggest rule changer any of us have seen in our lives. Long term jobs will go, as will any semblance of job security. Qualifications in MOST cases will be less valuable than provable skills. Those who flourish will have multiple skills, a fairly unique (but needed) skill, plus adaptability. Skills will constantly need to be updated as what makes you a hot potatoe now will be worthless tomorrow. 

Just sayin' ????

14/10/2013 at 13:12

I did a smiley face with tongue poking out but it came out as loads of question marks. Bloody smart phones. Takes ages to type it all out this way too. 

14/10/2013 at 18:00

I have two degrees Avalaf and have never earnt my age.  I think you are right about expectations, but there are also some graduate jobs out there that don't pay the going rate.  It depends on which profession you are in.  Trouble is that careers advisors tend to quote the higher end of the range which then raises expectations for all graduates.

seren nos    pirate
14/10/2013 at 18:09

on one open day at university recently they were talking about the number of their students that stay on to do research for masters etc.they said the average they were paid by sponsors was £20 to £25 thousand per year tax free........

so i'm sure a;ll those graduates are expecting to start on a fair wage actually working

14/10/2013 at 21:20

But how many sponsored students are there?  Not many and the sponsor usually expects them to work for them after their degree.

15/10/2013 at 12:08

£20-25k a year for a post grad course? I got £100 a week plus whatever I earnt demonstrating to undergrad labs during my PhD, and that wasn't that long ago, 1996-1999. At 2 grand a month tax free I'd have been in the pub even more.

15/10/2013 at 13:02

The sponsor may expct you to work for them but there is no way of enforcing it.  I was a sponsored student but didn't go on to work for the company that sponsored me - if I had I'd have been made redundant within a year as it turns out.  I did work for them in summer holidays and sandwich year for a pittance though but I suspect  the experience I got was part of the deal.

21 to 40 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.