Am I the worst we have to offer?

And we ban people who question how we talk about triathlon?

21 to 40 of 74 messages
11/10/2013 at 17:47

Get along!

I just go away. Its easier

kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 17:47

I have a solution.  We need a "sticky thread" like tritalk have to note that KK thinks:

• you can't call yourself a pirate unless you have gone from zero to IM in 9 months;
  • there is too much talk about kit;
  • some people should train more.

Perhaps then it can stop being repeated ad nauseam and we can all get along?

I think diversion would work, give me a different topic to bang on about but please not politics.

Darkness    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:14

Economics and the power of branding.

kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:17

I failed Home Economics '0' Level because I didn't use eggs in my lemon meringue, and branding hurts.

NEXT!

And yes I am that old. Last year of 'O' Levels btw.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:17
Youf
11/10/2013 at 18:23

I'm older, last year of grmmer sckools.

kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:24

We wre talking about youf at lunch today in work, I was just telling them some of the tragic but funny stories from working in a challenging secondary school (back when I did).

Which is why I love watching programs like 'Educating Yorkshire'. Been there, done that.

kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:25

Ric, grammar schools still exist in Devon. That makes you younger than my children.

11/10/2013 at 18:27
Still grammar skools when I left the Upper Sixth
kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:34

Ok, we're onto Education, that's good as it's one of my passions. So here's the question...

Are we devaluing our education system by accepting so many people at degree level?

And giving them degrees.

11/10/2013 at 18:38

Yes, I think we are. 

This also leaves us short of people who have learned a trade or skill because they are driven down the degree route whether it suits them or not. 

11/10/2013 at 18:39
Giving them degrees.

All 4 of our Sprogs have degrees, 2 have masters degrees ( Cambridge & UCL) and I can promise you none have been given them
11/10/2013 at 18:40

Though I don't think we are 'accepting' them, I think the government was/is pushing it. However, I think that's just the semantics of your question. 

11/10/2013 at 18:42
We said last night whilst watching a Educating Yorkshire when we were at skool people left at 15 and went off and did apprenticeships and learnt trades
11/10/2013 at 18:45

Yep my daughter's are working hard for theirs ones just finished and the others in year 2 of law neither are being given them, i think its great they get the chance but have worked very hsrd for it, i think around 2 people from my year went to uni from the awful comprehensive i left in 76

11/10/2013 at 18:48

I think thats the problem Dave a lot of companies sre just not prepared to foot the bill for decent apprenticeship training programs 

kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:51

Mouse in my office (non teaching staff in a big educational establishment). ALL of our young workers (just getting any job in any college is their game plan) are on about 14 thousand a year and have a first degree, several have masters.

It's lunacy, and that's not a comment on their ability perse...

It's akin to the bank printing free money. I never understood why that wouldn't be a good thing until now.

kittenkat    pirate
11/10/2013 at 18:56

I say 'young', I'm actually talking about people from 22 to about 35. All living with their parents.

My last 2 assistants both had masters in fine arts and were working for a pittance. Ironically they were crap in the position. Their fault or victims of the system?

debbo    pirate
11/10/2013 at 19:03

I think if they were doing a job and were crap, then there is something wrong with the hiring practices, never mind the educational system.

i do agree though that education is being dumbed down And degrees are being devalued 

11/10/2013 at 19:04
I doubt if getting a Distinction in her Masters in neuroscience would qualify Sprog 4 to be your assistant
21 to 40 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.