An Idiots Guide To IronMan Cycling

Yes, this is going to get VERY basic ...

41 to 60 of 91 messages
cougie    pirate
12/09/2013 at 10:50
"Hello Dragons Den ? Yes book me a slot on next weeks show. I've a cracking idea to show you. The pantomime dame has left hasn't she ? Yes ? Good."
Rafiki    pirate
12/09/2013 at 11:01
Wilkie wrote (see)

run it up inside the leg of your shorts, up inside your jersey, then tape the top end,

I see a marketing opportunity - why has no-one thought of this before?? 

So, no worries about chafing after 7 hours on a bike then

12/09/2013 at 12:28

http://products.boysstuff.co.uk/prod_zoom_left/funny-man-face-drinking-hat_500.jpg

Am I correct in presuming this sort of affair may be frowned upon in triathlon cricles then ?

12/09/2013 at 12:55

FFS, don't let Barley see that!  He'll want one for his cans of Stella

WhizKid    pirate
12/09/2013 at 14:04

Yes josey as the cans need too be moved too the back do you get aero benefits from it!

12/09/2013 at 14:22

Would it be less frowned upon if the coke was replace with two cans cider? 

12/09/2013 at 14:41

I'm suprised no-ones suggested the logical solution yet- integrate the drinks bottle and straw into the bike.  

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/64852/Specialized-Shiv-Pro-DI2/?gclid=CJjmwvL9xbkCFbHKtAodaX0A6A

Bargain.

WhizKid    pirate
12/09/2013 at 14:45

The shiv is the sarah jessica parker of bikes... It looks like a foot! My opinion of course it may well be faster but ugh!

Rafiki    pirate
12/09/2013 at 14:49

FF - as I think Cougie pointed out at the weekend - how the hell you do clean the drinks' bottle when its inside the frame!!

12/09/2013 at 14:49
Rafiki wrote (see)
Wilkie wrote (see)

run it up inside the leg of your shorts, up inside your jersey, then tape the top end,

So, no worries about chafing after 7 hours on a bike then

A bit of Bodyglide should take care of that! 

Josey, I don't think that helmet meets the relevant ISO (kitemark or whatever) standards 

12/09/2013 at 14:57
Rafiki wrote (see)

FF - as I think Cougie pointed out at the weekend - how the hell you do clean the drinks' bottle when its inside the frame!!

Raf,

at that price I imagine that cleaning the reservoir would be something the butler would do.  Having read the instructions (it helpfully says you shouldn't put goldfish in there) it looks like some sort of camelback type bladder inside the frame)

TheEngineer    pirate
12/09/2013 at 15:21

It's not a bladder... it's a fuelselage

Darkness    pirate
12/09/2013 at 15:37

It overkill, but actually looks to be quite well executed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILWBtEIySE

12/09/2013 at 15:42
Wilkie wrote (see)

You could just get a length of tubing (spare from a Camelback, perhaps?), stick it right down into the bottle, (so that the end is right at the bottom), run it up inside the leg of your shorts, up inside your jersey, then tape the top end, with a bite valve, (with six inches or so free) to your helmet strap...

Just thinking though, this may not be the ideal solution for those with a colostomy

12/09/2013 at 15:54

Some people are just so negative! 

12/09/2013 at 22:30

Because I'm slow (OK, OK!) I've only just seen the debate on pedallnig downhill. Reminded me of this article which was interesting I thought. Sort of says the same thing as above but in a little more depth

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/08/coast-or-pedal-on-a-downhill.html

Oh, and whilst we are on the Joe Friel blog site, here's the best article ever about training;

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/12/five-fundamentals-of-training.html

Edited: 12/09/2013 at 22:32
M...eldy    pirate
13/09/2013 at 00:16

For goodness sake dont let Seren see that contraption with the coke cans ...

13/09/2013 at 13:29

Right, after getting a good old fashioned drenching on way to and again from work yesterday, thoughts now turn to training over winter.

My confidence whilst gorwing on the straight and narrow (getting to 30mph on a downhill still involves a large amount of rigid jaw clenching and death like white knuckle handlebar grips - are all roads really bad on the sides or is it just mine!), however corners are still very much of sedate affair but I believe that will change as my confidence grows.
However, as I will still need to build the 'engine' that has been mentioned above for turnover and general speed, then am going to need to do a fair bit over the winter. I'm guessing the way to go for this is with a 'turbo', which is where the above rambling is leading:
I need a turbo, so what are the recommended things to look out for in a sub £150 model if possible (wife is still reeling from the cost of bike and Outlaw entry fee to go higher) ... I'm guessing the 'lower end' ones on eBay for £50 - £60 are just not worth it .. or are they ? Don't need anything particularly fancy with bells and whistles, just something that will enable me to train over winter and get my bike base up to where it needs to be.

13/09/2013 at 13:31

A bell shouldn't be necessary on a turbo - no pedestrians to worry about!  

Pudge    pirate
13/09/2013 at 13:39
Wilkie wrote (see)

A bell shouldn't be necessary on a turbo - no pedestrians to worry about!  

41 to 60 of 91 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.