and now for something completely different....

.....how about a pirate mountain climb!

21 to 40 of 78 messages
19/06/2013 at 01:18

I have done loads of orienteering in Snowdonia...we used to head out at night in winter to make it more interesting It was always a bit mad but in the day is super easy, and has since come in handy in the Andes where I didn't know each farm by heart! 

19/06/2013 at 01:35

By that I meant to say...go for it! It is a beautiful place and there are some amazing walks if you head off away from the tourist trains

19/06/2013 at 06:19

Wasn't it Barlos that wanted to climb Everest and fly a pirate flag from the top..........but then he wanted to cross the channel in a pedalo too IIRC

seren nos yn canu    pirate
19/06/2013 at 08:17

shush about the pedalos FF...I'm sure that plan is still on the back burner somewhere

IronCat5    pirate
19/06/2013 at 08:51

ALL.FCUKING.MAD.

19/06/2013 at 08:59
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

how did you find the pike dave - which route did you take ?

It's not difficult to find.... It's the biggest bl**dy lump around    Boom Tsh

OK, Parked at Wasdale, Up the nose of Lingmell, joined the top of the corridor route on to Scafell Pike, Then dropped down Mickledore and up Lords Rake (still had some snow in it) and on to Scafell. Then a 2 mile walk down the ridge to Slight Side and back down Brown Tongue to the car.

Following day did the classic Mosedale Horseshoe, Kirk Fell, Pillar, Scoat fell, Steeple and Red Pike. Skipped Yewbarrow as time was getting on and we had a table booked for dinner

leaves us only 13 Wainwrights to go

19/06/2013 at 09:21

11th is better for me, 

Lee the Pea    pirate
19/06/2013 at 11:00
Colourin (aka Shivering Whippet) wrote (see)

That'd be me then?

Hahaha, just what I was thinking!!!

So what's the plan next year Doner?  Everest?  K2??!

19/06/2013 at 11:31

pfft - if you want to climb a mountain choose a decent one to start with - Mt Blanc, Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua or similar....

all the UK ones are mere lumps...(that right DtC??)  

and fyi - there's a few (erstwhile) pirates off to do Kili at the end of year....not me though, that one's been ticked .....

19/06/2013 at 13:01

Interesting mere lumps tho....

And we have managed to go over 6K metres a couple of times in Nepal 

19/06/2013 at 13:29
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Interesting mere lumps tho....

And we have managed to go over 6K metres a couple of times in Nepal 

I'd see more of them if I was as close as you but it's easier for me to get to the Alps than the Lakes or Scotland

19/06/2013 at 13:36

When we went last weekend we hadn't planned anything but Suzie came home from work Thursday and said let's go, I packed the car whilst she rang round to find a B&B. and she found a pub with its known brewery ! 

19/06/2013 at 13:54

I'm liking this thread     Always up for something a bit mad but can't do August as I'm doing Embrunman on the 15th.

I'd be up for joining in on any later escapades though  

19/06/2013 at 20:24

ooooo Can I come? My mountaineering club's hut is in Snowdonia (8 pounds/night for AWESOME self-catering accommodation anyone?) And there's a pub nearby  

Anyway don't navigate up Snowdon - it's too well trod. I did my mountain leader training in Snowdonia - could show you some fun routes and navigation skills. I thought I was good at navigating until that course. 

Can you go in October? I'm up a mountain in India in August and then got a 70.2 end of September....

19/06/2013 at 20:33

Welsh 3000's and the OMM are also very much on my to-do list if anyone happens on this thread and fancies either next year...

meface    pirate
19/06/2013 at 22:33

I was at about 130 of the Wainwrights at last count.

MedicGirl - When I did my NNAS Gold it was a beautiful day and stood on lumpy ground looking at contours and pacing out to idendtify a particular point on a contour line. In the back of mind I kept thinking what the heck is the point of this. Then micro navigating to another lumpy contour 0.5mile away and repeating the process.

Of course when it is dark, snowing and you are picking a small exit route from a hilltop, or worrying about cornices you realise the benefit of such precision.

meface    pirate
19/06/2013 at 22:38

And while we are all boasting:

Highest I have been is Mt. Ruapehu in N.Z. at 2800m but it was in winter with axes and crampons (mild usage only).

The best bit was I was on a work trip. Suitcase with business clothes, rucksack with full winter gear. Client says what did you do at the weekend, just hang around the hotel.

No - I climbed your biggest mountain and snowcaved at the top for the night.

One of the guys who worked for our reseller was mountain rescue so was in very safe hands.

I have also been up Box Hill in Surrey - where the London kids come to do Duke of Edinburgh.

20/06/2013 at 00:21

Je je je Meface:

I do that when I travel to Ecuador for work - suitcase and backpack. Did Cayambe, Chimborazo and Cotopaxi on weekends!

My colleagues think I am mad 

Doner Kebab    pirate
20/06/2013 at 08:20
Lee the Pea wrote (see)

So what's the plan next year Doner?  Everest?  K2??!

Nothing that grand, and everyone seems to think that snowdon is easy to climb but that wasnt my intention. I know its a climb done by tourists but i thought it would be cool for a group of us to go up it and have a laugh, not for bragging rights.

Next year Im thinking of doing mountain marathons or ultras that require navigation and thats why i want to do snowdon. where i live there are no contour lines, i live in the fens - its flat as a pancake so i want to get used to looking at a map and tallying that with what i see before me, so even if theres a big wide path in front of me itll make no difference.

But on the other hand if we want to make a race out of getting to the top and down and down again by a predetermined route im up for that 

citizen 146    pirate
20/06/2013 at 08:26

been dragged into the Lakeland 50 this year ( end of July , too soon!), did gaelforce west in Ireland which gave me lust for taking to the mountains. You should have loads of fun, good luck

21 to 40 of 78 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.