Anyone doing any sportives in the near future?

11 messages
30/07/2010 at 10:58

After a brief flirt with the idea of doing a tri or dualathlon, and having that idea dashed by my continuing ITB issues that only happen when I run, I am thinking of trying to get a few sportives in before the year is up.

Anyone got any recommendations?, in the S/E, E, or midlands if poss?, thinking maybe the tour of kent?, anyone done it?.

Also doing my first "official" time trial in a couple of weeks, so if that goes well, might make that a frequent occurance.

30/07/2010 at 11:24
not done the Tour of Kent but have done the Ride of the Falling Leaves (October 3 - info via www.dulwichparagon.com and not listed on cyclosport.org) which starts/finishes at Herne Hill velo track - in fact you start with one lap of it.....good ride with some tough hills after 1/2 way and the stinger up Crystal Palace Hill just before the end which hurts!

there's also the new Cyclefit Fondo - Tour of Romney Marsh in mid Sep which is interesting - mostly flat but a couple of short stiff feckers thrown in as well.

in fact there's a number of good sportives in the SEast over the next couple of months to keep people happy - hope to do a couple myself in Autumn
30/07/2010 at 11:30
Thanks FB, both those look interesting, I'd like to try something with some climbs, we are quite lacking in them around here!!
30/07/2010 at 11:34
if you want climbs then any of the sportives in Kent/Sussex/Hants will have them - the Fondo one probably being the flattest of the lot. I train a lot on the Romney Marshes and it's as flat as they come but the little hill at Lympne that's mentioned goes from flat to 20% in yards - it's tough anytime (but thankfully short) but after miles of flat just hurts. think of how bad that little hill was towards the end of Flatout - and then triple the steepness!! ouch....
Edited: 30/07/2010 at 11:34
30/07/2010 at 11:35

here's another two (bottom of the page)

30/07/2010 at 11:39

Yeah, that incline was a bit of a shock to the system after hours of flat!, will check out the dates, and see how many I can fit in.

Cheers

cougie    pirate
30/07/2010 at 23:05
I'm doing the broken spoke sportif from chester on sunday - that's no use though.
I do fancy the dreilandergiro next year though.
Rc.    pirate
30/07/2010 at 23:38
Im sure Kilo to go had a Rutland sportive on the 3rd October I think
Dustboy    pirate
31/07/2010 at 00:58
Dunsfold will keep you happy. Pirated a couple of years ago. Lovely route.
31/07/2010 at 13:35

I was hoping to do the Leicestershire Supertour on Sept 5th but might be on holiday then now.

That looks a good one Cougie - I'm planning on doing a continental sportive  as a bit of a target next year - something to train for.   Not sure what to go for yet - was thinking of the Ardechoise though the Marmotte seems more popular with people I've asked.   

Kanga M    pirate
31/07/2010 at 14:20
+1 for Dunsfold, or their Petersfield one, the Southern Sportive.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.