Anyone done an Ironman at the gym?

21 to 40 of 143 messages
Nam
05/10/2011 at 12:44
popsider wrote (see)
There is no point in doing an Ironman of any sort except for the person doing it. So if the OP is motivated to do this gym ironman why not ?

Absolutely. People can do whatever they bloody well like at their gym.

But if you're not going to the disciplines in order... mix it up a bit... 10k here 40k there... bit of a splash, bit of a picnic... then don't call it an ironman??

05/10/2011 at 12:46

lol Nam, I knew there'd be some people getting all hot under the collar about this.  I'll call it whatever I bloody well like thank you very much.

"Basher's Gym Ironman" I'll go with

05/10/2011 at 12:50
Another note on this gym bike thing.  The one I was using yesterday went quicker (kph) when I increased the resistance (equivalent of moving up a gear I guess) so long as I maintained the same rpm.  So there isn’t the option of just putting it with really low resistance as there are with some bikes – I have been on them before and the resistance setting doesn’t actually work like moving through the gears – If you go at same rpm you go at same speed regardless of resistance.  Still not equivalent to biking on the road (before anyone starts) but atleast the resistance thing does work in the same way as gears.
Nam
05/10/2011 at 13:11

Pumpkin I'm not even remotely warm under the collar about this.

It's a public forum and you asked for opinions.  It's clear from your posts though that you only want to hear those that suit you and I really couldn't give a stuff what you do in your spare time.

If someone posted saying... the other day I took the dog for a walk AND I walked to work... and took the stairs instead of the lift... it was about a tenth of a marathon, I thought I'll carry this on and do this as a marathon...  I guess you'd get a similar mixed response.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/10/2011 at 13:13
Basher wrote (see)

lol Nam, I knew there'd be some people getting all hot under the collar about this.  I'll call it whatever I bloody well like thank you very much.

"Basher's Gym Ironman" I'll go with

Yeah, but will you get a tatoo?
05/10/2011 at 13:15

Yeah, ok Nam. 

Unlikely Dave.

TheEngineer    pirate
05/10/2011 at 13:36

Given that even races of that distance aren't able to call themselves Ironman races, it's unlikely that the WTC will sanction your event. Maybe Iron-distance would be the correct moniker.

But then you don't actually *cover* any distance do you? So maybe the word distance is out. Seeing as you're planning on doing it in a gym, how about calling yourself Iron-Gym?

http://healthproductreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/iron-gym.gif

Maybe you could get sponsored by JML!
05/10/2011 at 13:40
The proper Ironman tattoo is the order of the day, plus you should change your forum name to Iron Basher and have one of those pirate flags put next to it.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/10/2011 at 13:58
Who's got a gym that opens for 17 hours though?

If you called yourself "Iron Basher" you'd probably be arrested for inciting cockney homophobic hate crime.

It's a nanny state gone mad!

"I'll call it whatever I bloody well like thank you very much."

well - no you can't actually. Ironman is a trademark name owned by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) who tend not to like anyone doing/organising an event comprising a 3.8k swim/180km bike/42.2 km run and calling it an Ironman. you can call it an "Ironman distance" event but you can't call it "Basher's Gym Ironman". only those events run by WTC or licenced by WTC can call it an Ironman.

I doubt that WTC would care that much even if they found out, but I just like being a pedant...
Edited: 05/10/2011 at 14:00
TheEngineer    pirate
05/10/2011 at 14:00

You're assuming it'll take him 17 hours?? He's done an eighth of an IM already, don't you know?!

05/10/2011 at 14:14

Yeah, won't take me 17 hours.  And 16k of the cycling will be done on my way to and from the gym.

gym is open 7.15am to 10pm = 14hrs 45minutes.

05/10/2011 at 14:33

If you have the mental stamina to do such a thing then I take my hat off to you. I still think you're a nutter mind you!

If it floats your boat, then go for it. And call it what you bloody well like!

Let us know how you get on!

cougie    pirate
05/10/2011 at 14:38
So Bashers IronGymMan is bike a bit, swim, lots more biking, run.

Its not gonna look as good on the souvenir teeshirts as Swim Bike Run ?

Will you have a bento box on the gym bike, or dominos pizza number saved in your mobile phone ?
05/10/2011 at 14:43

I suppose if you want to do it - there is no reason why you shouldn't = my only comment is that you would have to have the Gyms agreement other wise would they allow you to monopolise the gym equipment for such a long time!!

05/10/2011 at 14:44
There is a chippy next door, thought if I have enough time left, I might get a big portion of fish and chips before doing the last hour or so on the bike, at a pretty slow pace.  I'd love to do a proper IM, but it's that £1k on a bike
05/10/2011 at 14:45
£250+ entrance fee, and all sorts of others.  I know there is a gym fee, but I’d be doing that too.  It ends up costing a bomb, I could do 2 weeks in Sri Lanka with the Barmy Army next spring (in fact I am) for the same price as a basic IM bike. 
cougie    pirate
05/10/2011 at 14:53
No need to pay a grand for a bike. You can get decent ones for say £500 or so.

If you can afford the Sri Lanka jolly - you could afford Ironman. Its just that you have other priorities.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/10/2011 at 15:03
fat buddha wrote (see)
 I doubt that WTC would care that much even if they found out, but I just like being a pedant...
We know. It's why we love you.
21 to 40 of 143 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.