Anyone else get backache doing OW swimming

another me me me question...

14 messages
purpletrilady    pirate
01/07/2010 at 19:36

I've just done a 4k OW swim and during the last lap my back really started to ache.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm guessing its either my sighting doing it or something with my wetsuit?

Any advice gratfully received

M...eldy    pirate
01/07/2010 at 19:38
You will have a much flatter profile in the water with a wetsuit than in a pool without, so yes I suspect it is quite common

I am used to feeling like a cripple!!
01/07/2010 at 20:05

Yes, my back aches a bit.  As Meldy says, it's because your wetsuit makes you buoyant so your position in the water is different.  Your legs are probably higher which makes your back curve more.

I'm not sure what you can do about it though.  Try a wetsuit with thinner legs (so less buoyant)?  Swim in OW more so your back gets stronger?  Improve your body position in the pool so you don't have such a difference when you get in OW?

01/07/2010 at 20:23
Core stability - it will improve the more you do
purpletrilady    pirate
01/07/2010 at 20:32

so a new expensive wet suit won't help

Holly_Golightly    pirate
01/07/2010 at 20:59
The wetsuit definitely exaggerates your bouyancy and for me it curves my back so two lower vertebrae rub a bit. I ended up in physio pre-Swissland but manage it myself now with quite a lot of stretching.
M...eldy    pirate
01/07/2010 at 21:02
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease Holly 
seren nos yn canu    pirate
01/07/2010 at 21:03

he only time I had bachache was in my Ironman swim...............and that was probably becasue I had never swam that far before and only swam 2k in the wetsuit a couple of times...........

I found that putting the wet sponges during the run on my lower back really helped.

Holly_Golightly    pirate
01/07/2010 at 21:07
Oh God. Are you stalking me, Wench?

(notice I gave you a capital 'W' to emphasise your name?) ;-D
M...eldy    pirate
01/07/2010 at 21:08

I luuuurrve you 
04/07/2010 at 13:13
My first wetsuit gave me significant backache due to being too buoyant in the legs.  Replaced it with a make know for less buoyant legs and the problem was solved.  Perfect!
04/07/2010 at 23:52
Not had a problem OW but swam in the pool today for first time in 2 years and had chronic back ache
Donald    pirate
05/07/2010 at 00:59

Yes, when I started I got quite bad backache after a while, but as others have suggested the more wetsuit swimming I've done the better it's got. Now I'm OK.

purpletrilady    pirate
05/07/2010 at 07:26
Thx for the feedback. I'm hoping it will get better the more I do

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.