Armstrong 2 retire ???

1 to 20 of 24 messages
WildWill    pirate
29/02/2004 at 14:34
Five-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has hinted he could retire at the end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3495096.stm
29/02/2004 at 15:22
oh noooooo

thanks for providing the link WildWill

all the same I hope he gives it another go and wins
29/02/2004 at 16:22
I hope not! I know many feel he's conceited, but personally I like his style and will be routing for him to win and go on to more glory!
29/02/2004 at 18:08
Is he still hanging out with Sheryl Crowe? I read the article too, makes me think Armstrong is really nervous, because he hasn't heard about Ullrich's progress yet.
01/03/2004 at 11:13
T'will depend on this years TdF result - of course if he wins 6th time he'll be making history.
It'll be a real nail biter I reckon, with other teams now even more geared up to toppling him from No1 spot!
cougie    pirate
01/03/2004 at 11:41
Look up the Times online from Saturday - 3 or 4 page interview with him in Spain. And Sherryl is there too. He does talk about thinking of Ullrich all the time. (sweet)

I reckon he'll win this year and then retire.
01/03/2004 at 12:26
I noticed Armstong is always concerned about Ullrich. He goes on about his opposition in his second book "Every second counts" and said that Ullrich didn't really slow down when he fell off the bike etc. Ullrich (following German news) on the other hand is not so occupied by Armstrong, he seems to focus on his team, family and TdF built up. I think he is very determined as he said he doesn't want to be runner up again. In general, good rivalry and both respect each other as cyclist. I go for Ullrich. Why? He has reovered from injury, he didn't gain weight and has a better team than last year.

Armstrong or Ullrich? Not so important, surely it will be a great race for the cyclist fans!
01/03/2004 at 15:28
Armstrong will come second this year, then not allow himself to retire.
01/03/2004 at 15:43
I'm listening to Tour de France by Kraftwerk right now, if you've not heard it you should give it a listen - perfect for a turbo session.
cougie    pirate
01/03/2004 at 15:44
D'ya think ? He has had an amazing run. He's been very lucky to be able to hold it all together for that 3 weeks each year.
01/03/2004 at 15:55
Bl@@dy lucky last year. Still it made good TV.
cougie    pirate
01/03/2004 at 15:56
Aaah - I've got their TdF album. Weird, but good.
01/03/2004 at 16:03
I hope he can make it 6 in a row - then he can retire, he has my permission ;-) I thought he was seeing Sandra Bullock too?
01/03/2004 at 16:06
Seeing him cut across that field was pretty amazing, very quick reaction.
cougie    pirate
01/03/2004 at 17:13
Parrotmad - you need to read the gossip mags more - he's not with Bullock - he's now being 'presented by Sheryl Crowe'
01/03/2004 at 17:58
Call me cynical but....all those drugs, weak policing and control etc it is surely difficult to believe in the integrity of the TdF as an event.

I would love to think of Armstrong as a hero but then I would have to be confident that he is and has always been, clean.
cougie    pirate
01/03/2004 at 18:03
Timbo - look at the raids the police carry out on the main stage races. And as the athletes are in named places for three weeks at a time, it's easier to monitor them, and check for drugs.

Wouldn't it be easier for other athletes to dope ? Marathon runners just have to turn up on the day of the race, so they are well away from invigilators for most of their time.

I do take the point though, but don't restrict it to cycling. If EPO is a benefit to cyclists - other sports people will use it too.

LA could be seen to be a little bit more anti-drugs. He seems to try and ignore it all instead.
WildWill    pirate
01/03/2004 at 20:50
There are more drugs in football these days
01/03/2004 at 22:05
We hear more from Armstrong. He seems to worry a lot about his opposition. He says Team Telekom is just a bunch of overpaid cyclists with big names. However, next TdF will be decided in the mountains and none of them will be able to help Ullrich in the mountains. Didn't especially Winokurow gave Armstrong a hard time last year?
02/03/2004 at 11:50
Vinikourov did give armstrong a hard time, and he also had a flavour for his own strength.

I wonder how he will feel having to play second fiddle for Ullrich when he may feel like going for stage wins and a podium place himself which may have tobe sacrificed.

Could be an interesting internal politics at team telecom which may or may not affect the outcome.

Greg Le Mond and Hinault had similar issues one year.
1 to 20 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.