Ask the Experts: Cycling Q+A with Jim McConnel

Hone your cycling skills with our live lunchtime webchat

21 to 40 of 45 messages
05/09/2012 at 13:40

@tortuga When I lose motivation I turn to Sufferfest and let the good times roll and my legs scream. Check their website for downloadable sessions tha will keep your interest.

05/09/2012 at 13:45

@slowerthanilook % heart rate is really hard to get right foreveryone, we are all unique. What I suggest you do is test yourself with a 'make your own' threshold test to establish how hard you can really go for how long. IM training is all about Bullseye - out of the red and in the black. Just how close you get to the red will depend on how trained you are. Suggest check the web for an incremental turbo session that will gradually increase your output across 20ish minutes - try and do this session and as you have no formal recordig devices, consider your perceived effort at each stage - legs hurt, brain hurt, can do, cannot do etc.. Find the max effort you can sustain for a couple of minutes and work back from that to establish something you can hold for a longer period - up to 20 minutes - ultimately when it comes to IM you will move up and down the range, but if you know the max you can work at without going int he red, then that will be a start.

05/09/2012 at 13:46

@Bruce Rooibos?

M...eldy    pirate
05/09/2012 at 13:47

Thanks JIm .. I live in The Chilterns so we have a variety of lumps to train on  

Given that last statement I really should be far better at descending than I am  !!

05/09/2012 at 13:50

@ P D 18 I think it's a great idea if you fit white tyres to your MTB so you can find it in transition, should really help you find it when in a state of shock after the swim with blurry eyes and elevated adrenalione levels! If it were not illegal to do so, you could also tie a helium balloon to the saddle. I would suggest however that if you were to do such a thing, your friends would laugh at you wildly and probaly never let you forget it.

p.s. It may still be dark on the exit of Ben Nevis Tri in 2 weeks so you might want to consider taking the risk....

05/09/2012 at 13:51

Thanks Jim.
Looked more like an aspidistra to me.

05/09/2012 at 13:58

Thanks Jim, may try the helium balloon option. As long as they make me faster than you then i'll be happy. Sea swim, less than 1km.... and ride upwards

05/09/2012 at 14:00

@miles frith no one session will get you there I'm afraid. As before if you want an interactive and fun session - then pick one of Suffferfest's downloadable sessions from their website. Standard turbo fodder would suggest you do a block of one session per week to build your endurance where the main set would start in week 1 as 6 x 3 minutes ON with 2 mins recovery easy spin between each effort, gradually over the weeks you would go to 6x4 mins, 4x8mins, then a week doing something different like 10 x 2 mins max with max recovery. Rejoin endurance session with 4x8 , then 4 x10 then 3 x 15, another speed session, then fianlly move up to 3 x 20. If you can manage 3 x 20 min sessions at strong even interval pace you really will have climbed the ladder to have developed your riding to where you want it! Good luck! 

05/09/2012 at 14:07

Thanks Jim. I'll climb on the sweat machine tonight and begin some intervals. Cheers!

05/09/2012 at 14:09

Hi,

It looks like that's all we have time for! Many thanks for all your questions and thanks to Jim for providing such inspiring answers.

We'll be back with more webchats soon on triathletesworld.co.uk, so keep checking the forum and website.

Best,
Dominique

05/09/2012 at 14:31

Please pass on my thanks to Jim and tell him that IWBMATTKYT!

meface    pirate
05/09/2012 at 15:51

Oooh is there a an ask the expert session?

Damn missed it again.

05/09/2012 at 17:45
How do you recognise a plant. ?
05/09/2012 at 18:02

Plant questions? How dare you suggest such a thing

This website needs a clear get rid of all the neigh sayers and pessimists 

Get rid of them root and branch

05/09/2012 at 18:09

Your are the problem KK it all stems from you this is a budding website

You need to be pruned

05/09/2012 at 18:20
You might flower in the hothouse of competition
05/09/2012 at 18:26
I might discus orgies. But as a married man it's all talk
05/09/2012 at 18:40
I could push a few scallies off the Runcorn bridge ?
05/09/2012 at 18:48
Teehee. But I am under the doctor
05/09/2012 at 19:17
No. I tripped up on the Weaver swing bridge
21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.