Ask the Experts: Cycling Q+A with Jim McConnel

Hone your cycling skills with our live lunchtime webchat

41 to 45 of 45 messages
06/09/2012 at 00:26
Jim McConnel 2 wrote (see)

@m_eldy Ahhh, IM training. If it was me and I had 3 bike sessions a week then I would do the following as a basic. Session 1 - long ride build up to the magic 6+ hour ride across about 8 weeks so mentally you know you can handle the kind of distance you will race over. Preferably done on a day when you can really relax, eat and sleep afterwards as it will drain you. Arrange friends to ride part or all of the way. Plan in advnace what you will do and mix up the routes. Session 2 - this has got to be a 2-3 hour endurance ride where you mix hills and recovery on the flat. It will be important to get used to going uphill for a prolonged period of time - Lanza is a hilly windy course and you need not to get daunted by the length of some of the climbs. Will be easy if you live in the Peaks or the Lakes. Session 3 - a session that could switch between a 90 minute recovery ride one week to an interval ride (turbo based possibly) where you try and build your power and top end - suggest building to from 6 x 4 minutes right through to 3 x 20 minutes over a course of 6-8 weeks where you are working very closely to your sustainable threshold. Hope that helps you.

3*20 on the turbo near threshold- like that (not to do personally obviously - but as advice) - no messing around with varying cadence or resistance. 

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
09/09/2012 at 22:11

so 

• a long ride
  • a medium hilly ride
  • an interval session

Thats essentially my core bike training, but I combine the medium ride with some intervals in it..... and add a few bike commutes as vase, recovery or fartlek

Thats pretty solid advice...... shame it hurts so much

Edited: 09/09/2012 at 22:12
Dustboy    pirate
26/09/2012 at 19:36

Why is this silly thread stuck to the top of the tree? 

meface    pirate
27/09/2012 at 21:40

Why has this thread slipped off the top?

meface    pirate
27/09/2012 at 21:40

oops sorry

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 45 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.