Bala 2011

Who's doing it this year?

521 to 536 of 536 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
15/06/2011 at 11:18
Some cracking race reports - well done to all who braved, actually conquered, the horrendous conditions!
15/06/2011 at 11:31

What a day ;  I wouldn't have put my dog out in that.

It was a horrendous day weather wise and the toughest race I have done by far.

Big Head & Cross winds on the bike, the downhills (with wheel wobble) was the most scared I have ever been on a bike and one lasted long enough for me to recite the whole of the Lord's prayer. Saw Ridgeback Max in the swim and as he is my brother decided to swin over and duck him, but got totally wiped out by another guy we know who came straight over me (he said his goggles were misted up). serves me right I suppose.    Waves in a lake? and both legs totally cramped up with the cold as I got out so I had to sit in the water for about 5 minutes. Doh!!

Met with my bruv in run transition and we set off together as he was totally suffering with cramp. Then the g*t sped off and took 12 minutes out of me on the run. He was in the wave before and in the end beat me by 2 minutes. Brothers - who'd have them.

Got through though and made it to the pub for a pint afterwards and after reflection, it was the toughest but to get through it was probably one of the best  feelings ever, and I never once stopped except to get rid of those cramps and to pop 2 painkillers on the bike and stretch the old back, just kept on going and all that training and stupidity just kicked in

Now for 2 weeks in Florida from Saturday... Hooray.

15/06/2011 at 11:31

p.s. Big thanks to all the supporters and marshalls to.

At least we were moving.......

AndyB99    pirate
15/06/2011 at 12:45
theres a great review from the organisers

http://www.wrecsamtri.org.uk/

Lee the Pea    pirate
15/06/2011 at 14:25
Wow, that sums it up really!!! 
15/06/2011 at 14:35
That's one of the best race reports I've ever seen.
purpletrilady    pirate
15/06/2011 at 14:37
Wow, really brings it home what you lot went through !!

Massive well done to all
15/06/2011 at 21:59
Just got back to the land of technology today. Some great race reports that really bring the experience back to me, so thanks for that! I have also just watched an episode of Deadliest Catch, and that brought back some memories too.
I went into this 'race' hoping to take 30 minutes off last years effort and to find it a bit easier, in the end I was the best part of an hour slower and I have never found anything as difficult in my life.
It was a massive effort for me and quite an emotional experience too, it is a day that will stay with me for a long time, and anyone who shared any part of it - be it the swim, the bike, the stagger, the brilliant marshals and spectators - I extend my respect and heartfelt thanks.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, in which case anyone involved in Bala 2011 is now one hell of a lot stronger.
16/06/2011 at 06:26
Tiago well said! although i deffo do not feel stronger at the mo trying to push the bike with cold cramped muscles has resulted in a very sore stiff back this morning
16/06/2011 at 08:43

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrr.

Probably pushed to hard on the run

Imeccentric    pirate
17/06/2011 at 11:51
Crikey flip , glad I am retired !
Kanga M    pirate
17/06/2011 at 15:26
Mandel wrote (see)
Endured the banter from Kanga shouting "It's not a bloody beauty parade mate" as he waited for Rio
What did you expect, hugs and warm fuzzies ?
Iron Tractor Boy    pirate
20/06/2011 at 12:06
Finally done my Bala race report.
Lee the Pea    pirate
20/06/2011 at 13:05
Well done ITB, great report. As you said, you didn't quit, despite the conditions Fingers crossed for sun next year!
ImRio    pirate
20/06/2011 at 14:08

It was horrible weather and everyones times were slower than previously.  I wouldn't be feeling down at acheiving slow times.  An awful lot didn't make it at all.  Everyone who finished deserved a massive well done

And those that didn't can't be blamed for not battling through and risking injury with other races planned.

I was disappointed with my swim time til I learnt that the average swim was 7-8mins down on previous years so in reality I should have been up by 3 mins on last year. 

Keep smiling

20/06/2011 at 20:36
Nice one ITB

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
521 to 536 of 536 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.