Barley a shoe in for Kona?!

How long before the Coach hits the big island?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
13/10/2011 at 15:11

Wouldn't there be loads and loads (thousands?) of people who've done 12 or more Ironmans?  I'd've thought they'd have to raise the bar a bit or they could be inundated. 

meface    pirate
14/10/2011 at 13:57

They surely would have an idea.

All they need do is stick all the entry lists in a database (probably already there) and do a name match. Some will be different people with different names, so the number will be too high. Some will be the same person with different names e.g. married name so the number will be too low.

Why 12 not 10 or 15 or 18 or 20. Becasue they know how many are 8, 9, 10, 11 and how many are qualified. They know how many places they have.

They also know they have a lot of competition from Challenge and others and each IM event is not unique due to its branding. But Kona is unqiue and they naturally want to leverage that.

Yes Kona is for qualifiers and there is a big difference between qualifying for Kona and getting a lottery slot. However I prefer the idea of regular entrants getting the lottery slots rather than jsut anyone.

I support it but would not want to the qualifying slots removed - that is what makes it special.

14/10/2011 at 14:49

I was discussing this with someone last night. 

I was pondering if someone was on say 9 or 10 IM starts and was debating between Outlaw, Challenge Henley, and either IMWales or IMUK, what would be the chances they would choose one of the IM branded events as it would one step closer to Kona.

It's a way for IM to try to secure some brand loyalty now that others contenders are coming to the fore.

Not sure what brand loyalty there would be for anyone over and above the proposed 12; I suppose just the chance to compete at Kona

14/10/2011 at 15:35

From one point of view, it looks like a great marketing idea

From the other, it's blatent profiteering by the evil pension funds that own the so-called Ironhoof World Triathlon Corporation.  I'm going to track down some retired geography teachers and beat the shit out of them.  Money grabbing c**ts.  What goes around, comes around.

16/10/2011 at 19:43
I take that as recommendation to direct my pension contributions to WTC.

Anyway you have a blog to get up to date.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
01/11/2011 at 22:27
http://ironmanworldchampionship.com/qualification/

Lottery/Legacy entries now open, isnt clear if the Legacy entry requires 12 finishes, ive emailed for confirmation.  It also appears you still have to pay $40 (bargain)

What is the 2012 Lottery entry fee?
Lottery Application $40.00 USD
Passport $50.00 USD-Additional membership and second chance.

What are the eligibility requirements for the 2012 Ironman Legacy Program?

To enroll athletes must meet all four of the following requirements*:

1.       Athlete must have completed a minimum of twelve (12) full-distance Ironman-branded** races (includes existing and past events) by December 31, 2011

2.       Athlete has never participated in the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai’i

3.       Athlete must have completed at least one Ironman event in 2010 and 2011

4.       Athlete must be registered for an Ironman event in 2012

*Legacy athletes will be required to submit their information during online registration.
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run

Cheerful Dave    pirate
02/11/2011 at 08:58

It does say you have to have completed 12 so that seems clear.  It also says that they have 100 'Legacy' slots, but doesn't say how they'll be selected from all those that apply - will it be those with the most finishes (i.e. if you've 'only' got 12 you'll miss out to those with 14 or 15) or will it be random from all with 12 or more?

It also seems to exclude anyone who finished 12 ages ago coming out of the woodwork to claim their slot.  I don't suppose there are too many of those though.

02/11/2011 at 09:18
I assume that because the Legacy thing is lumped in with the Lottery, they will select the 100 Legacy entrants via a lottery - if you get my drift. be interesting to see if they publish the numbers of legacy qualifiers each year
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/11/2011 at 20:09

"Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our new legacy program. The requirement is that an athlete must have finished 12 Ironman-branded events, so you would not qualify for this year's legacy program. The good news is that you are super close, so hopefully you will be eligible soon enough! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns."

Looks like ill have to enter IM Wales to hopefully get up to 12 finishes for the next lottery.
03/11/2011 at 22:28

Edited: 03/11/2011 at 22:30

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.