beginers bike Q

4 messages
09/04/2004 at 10:37
Not really a Tri thing but any help would be good.

I got myself a bike so i can cylce to work given it is only 3 miles away. Question is when you extend your leg on a cylce should you extend all the way ie so you have a straight leg before the return or should your leg be slightly bent? Only want to know if i need to raise my seat anymore or not.

the bike is a mountain bike with dual suspention.
09/04/2004 at 10:42
good old sheldon brown

my rule of thumb is not quite fully extended at the botton of your pedal stroke... and thigh just below horizontal at the top.
09/04/2004 at 10:44
when you sit on the bike, put your heel on the pedal and at its furthest position, your leg should be almost straight but very slightly bent

this will seem quite high at first (especially as the bike wont be compressed before you get into the saddle!)
10/04/2004 at 13:43
Thanks for the advice, and the web site link.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.