Beginners Guide to the Surrey Hills Ride date - Saturday 6th October

41 to 60 of 164 messages
Mr StOat    pirate
24/09/2012 at 23:34

This sounds great, sadly its a fair way to go for a ride and my little sis is back from Sudan on a flying visit so I have to go and see her.

Maybe next time, if there is one

Dustboy    pirate
25/09/2012 at 00:24

Couple of times a year numbersmatt. Jolly spiff day out. Upgrade to orsum if Ferret biscuits are available...

meface    pirate
25/09/2012 at 00:51
Dustboy wrote (see)

Meface, you in?

Who me?

Most likely not. Had all day out on Saturday  last weekend and a Sunday two weekends ago and I don't get endless passes. Plus have swimming saturday morning (me 1st, then kids lessons, plus wife in the gym).

M.eface

25/09/2012 at 08:55
7755matt wrote (see)

This sounds great, sadly its a fair way to go for a ride and my little sis is back from Sudan on a flying visit so I have to go and see her.

Maybe next time, if there is one

It's worth it when you get the chance - it's a long drive for me to get there (about 2 hours each way!!) and I wouldn't sacrifice the time and petrol if it wasn't a good day out (as it ends up being in my case!) without making us slow cyclists feel useless and in jolly good company

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
25/09/2012 at 09:41

Its also a 90 minute return drive for me, but I also find it to be worth it.  Its good to meet up and have a bit of fun and a laugh with a few others.  That said its understandable youll want to see your sis.

Dustboy?  Do we have a start time and start point?

Dustboy    pirate
25/09/2012 at 10:22

9am for coffee and faffing then 09.30 kick off. Newlands Corner.  

25/09/2012 at 10:23

Good work DB

Dustboy    pirate
25/09/2012 at 11:44

Just to reiterate if anyone is thinking they might be a bit brave but not sure and worried about getting lost or left behind.

We wait for the last person to catch up on any challenging bits, up or down, before setting off again.

Additionally, you might have seen that Ferret has again volunteered his excellent tail end charlie abilities. This means he stays behind the last person and encourages them. He also knows the route so it's well hard to get lost.

If you think you might be quick on this ride, just retrace your steps back to the last person and come back again.

Any more? Best chips in Surrey!

25/09/2012 at 12:06

Great burgers too

25/09/2012 at 17:16

Good reitteration Dustboy

Im coming along to enjoy a social days ride and have no expectations of speed, coulc well be some people will want to stop part way up a upflat (maybe to admire the view ) .

There is no expectation of speed or ability, this is a day out to let some people challenge themselves with lots of support and encouragement.

If youre lucky Dustboy may even give you a walk through of cornering skills

25/09/2012 at 17:39
Dustboy wrote (see)

Just to reiterate if anyone is thinking they might be a bit brave but not sure and worried about getting lost or left behind.

We wait for the last person to catch up on any challenging bits, up or down, before setting off again.

Additionally, you might have seen that Ferret has again volunteered his excellent tail end charlie abilities. This means he stays behind the last person and encourages them. He also knows the route so it's well hard to get lost.

If you think you might be quick on this ride, just retrace your steps back to the last person and come back again.

Any more? Best chips in Surrey!

Being honest here, I was worried when I saw some of the names on the list that it wasn't a beginner's ride but more of an intermediate one.

I too have a 90 min journey to Surrey and so I wanted to be sure it was actually a beginners ride as there would be nothing more confidence shattering than be left behind or feel a hindrance.

Although I do have to say I was rather chuffed to see Ferret offering his rear-end services

M...eldy    pirate
25/09/2012 at 17:43

Gosh   

Rafiki    pirate
25/09/2012 at 17:53

Schmunks - we're only coming for a lesson in 'tactical dismounts'

25/09/2012 at 17:54

I am sure I can show you one or two of those on the day

25/09/2012 at 18:07

Looks like i might be coming to play.

IronCat5    pirate
25/09/2012 at 21:52
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

Don't wish to put a downer on this, but, well, it is Surrey. And erm, we don't want plebs.

Edited: 25/09/2012 at 21:52
25/09/2012 at 22:27
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

Don't wish to put a downer on this, but, well, it is Surrey. And erm, we don't want plebs.

LOL!!

25/09/2012 at 22:45

He's right you know!

We still haven't recovered from realising some of My Big Fat Gyspy Wedding was filmed in Surrey (well Horley, which sadly IS technically part of Surrey, but only technically!)

meface    pirate
25/09/2012 at 23:11

oi I work in Horley

Dustboy    pirate
25/09/2012 at 23:27

People in Horley work? Wow. Is that an, "I'm bored with golf and Ferraris" thing?

Yay FF. Welcome. 

If anyoen remembers Nick (Cordon Crash, Lord H's mate), he'd love to come but one too many clipless incidents mean that he has quite a serious injury I understand.

41 to 60 of 164 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.