Beginners Guide to the Surrey Hills Ride date - Saturday 6th October

1 to 20 of 164 messages
Dustboy    pirate
15/09/2012 at 22:14

Only date I can fit in for a while. And I think it was the one Barlos & Schmunks asked for. Sooo

Roll up, meet Newlands Corner, Drove Road, near Guildford 9am for a 9.30 kick off (faffage time). Loads of free parking, plus coffee shop, burger bar for afters plus orsum chips. 

About 25 miles - ish, takes in some of the Tour of GB and Olympic course, over to Box Hill (never be afraid of Box Hill again) and with a bit of luck, someone who can remember the back way (Olypic route) down again (Trogs? Henny?) to celebrate Olympic year.

Tea and cake stop at top of Box Hill.

Lumps will include Combe, Crocknorth, Ranmore, Box Hill just about counts and I quite fancy Staples Lane as well, which we/I have never done. Which means I get to try and stay on at Dustboy Corner. So far, it's about evens crashes and staying upright I think.

Everyone welcome, no-one gets left behind, Ideally suited for those wanting to have a go and not worry about impatient speedy club riders getting agitated. If you have to walk, we wait for you, simple. 

Then back to Newlands for unathletic grub and tea. 

Always an excellent day out, can always extend the ride as well, if we are feeling fruity or we can persuade Smiffy to come out to play.

List Fairy assistance please?

Dustboy

IronCat5    pirate
16/09/2012 at 09:35

It's on the calendar.

Dustboy
Cat5

Edited: 16/09/2012 at 10:04
16/09/2012 at 10:55

I can vouch for any newbie a bit nervous that Dustboy rides are very beginner friendly. I got off and walked down the Box Hill hairpins first time, as well as walking up 3 hills and falling off on one of them - and I only got laughed a "little"bit.  Everyone waited very patiently and I've something to compare with since to see how much progress I've made.  Its good fun so I'm in. Thanks Dusty. 

Dustby
Cat5
Soupy 

16/09/2012 at 13:55

Sorry Dusty, I'll be in the South West that weekend!  

Trogs    pirate
16/09/2012 at 18:07

Can't do - I'll be busy helping set up for Badger Half Marathon on the Sunday.

Route we took back down from Box is slightly different form Olympic bike route which headed back onto main roads.  From NT cafe you go right towards the village, turn left and end of road, left again just beyond main Headly Heath car park, through lovely downhill L/R S bend then left again just beyond barn into Lodgebottom Rd (this is where oly bike went straight on) and finally left at T-junction beyond Juniper Hall Field Centre.

So basically take every left turn you can till you end up back at the bottom of Zig Zag Rd

Simples

IronCat5    pirate
16/09/2012 at 19:45
Trogs. wrote (see)

Route we took back down from Box is slightly different form Olympic bike route which headed back onto main roads.  From NT cafe you go right towards the village, turn left and end of road, left again just beyond main Headly Heath car park, through lovely downhill L/R S bend then left again just beyond barn into Lodgebottom Rd (this is where oly bike went straight on) and finally left at T-junction beyond Juniper Hall Field Centre.

So basically take every left turn you can till you end up back at the bottom of Zig Zag Rd

Simples

As demonstrated over and over and over and over and over again on the Ballbuster. Unlikely I'll forget that route.

And it's really easy to overcook the corner on Tot Hill/Leech Lane.

16/09/2012 at 19:58

My b day the day before so doubt I will make it....no doubt be hungover.

Trogs    pirate
16/09/2012 at 20:32
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

As demonstrated over and over and over and over and over again on the Ballbuster. Unlikely I'll forget that route.

And it's really easy to overcook the corner on Tot Hill/Leech Lane.

Yeah, but I think that corner is one of the bits they resurfaced properly pre Olympics - though I may be mistaken

IronCat5    pirate
16/09/2012 at 20:43

I think it was the lack of weight on the back wheel whilst going downhill and braking hard. Back brake doesn't work when the back wheel is in the air.

Dustboy    pirate
16/09/2012 at 21:09

Trogs, you coming out to play? 

Trogs    pirate
16/09/2012 at 22:28
Trogs. wrote (see)

Simples

Dustboy    pirate
16/09/2012 at 22:58

Oh yeah, DER! Brain overload!

Golden Boots    pirate
17/09/2012 at 09:24

gutted... I'll be sunniny myself in Delhi on my birthday this day  (It's a hard life)

will be back next year for another Surrey Hills ride though!!

Rafiki    pirate
17/09/2012 at 10:06

Count me in!

Dustby
Cat5
Soupy
Raf

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 10:06
17/09/2012 at 10:21

Tail end Charlie reporting in for duty

Dustboy
Cat5
Ferret
Raf
Soupy

Dustboy    pirate
17/09/2012 at 11:00

Just had text from Lord H so...

Dustboy
Cat5
Ferret
Raf
Soupy
Lord H & Lord H junior

Welcome Raf! Top shout Ferret. Cat5, can you do the back of Boxhill bit please?

IronCat5    pirate
17/09/2012 at 12:26

Natch!

17/09/2012 at 17:08
(on iPad so can't update list but.....)

I am more than likely to be able to make this

Please can someon add me to the list as a strong possibility. Ta
Dustboy    pirate
17/09/2012 at 17:11

Dustboy
Cat5
Ferret
Raf
Soupy
Lord H & Lord H junior
Schmunkee

IronCat5    pirate
17/09/2012 at 17:16
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
(on iPad so can't update list but.....)

I am more than likely to be able to make this

Please can someon add me to the list as a strong possibility. Ta

What is the world coming to when the self-titled list wallah can't even add her name to the list!

Looking forward to it.

1 to 20 of 164 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.