Better late than never.

another newbie saying hello.

12 messages
21/05/2013 at 07:56

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for ages and am finally ready to make the transition to participation.

I'm usually a jogger who runs 3 times a week to keep the weight at bay (I'm an alcoholic fridge raider ) but have had to refrain on account of injury for the last 5 weeks.

Loathe to give up my red wine and cheese I pulled my old mountain bike out of the shed and replaced running with cycling. I was surprised to find that even though i live in hills ville i really enjoy it.

I've signed up to cyclescheme and am waiting to pick up my shiny new road bike - I can't wait

Meanwhile I managed a 30k ride on Sunday - i know a paltry figure compared to some of you 100 miler's i'm reading about - so figure I should be able to make it to work and back (9 miles each way).

Taking advice given to other newbies i've signed up to my nearest Tri Club (Chester) but am not worthy enough to go along just yet.

So, now i'm off to see if I can still swim.

Any advice for a newbie but ol' codger greatly received.

seren nos    pirate
21/05/2013 at 08:06

30k on an old mountain bike  in hilly area is a great ride.....

go to the tri club.....it will really help motivate you and help you train........

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
21/05/2013 at 08:07

I couldn't swim when I joined Chester 

oh Hi btw

Pudge    pirate
21/05/2013 at 08:09

I would say just keep doing what you're doing.  Motivation doesn't seem to be an issue, as rather than just give up at the first sign of an injury, you took the initiative and found something else to do instead.

I agree with Seren that once you start going to the club then you will become even more motivated.

21/05/2013 at 08:35
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I couldn't swim when I joined Chester 

oh Hi btw

Cheers Pirates - BTW I was watching the Lanza thread over the weekend, what a great bunch of supporters you all are

@ Dave The Ex-Spartan - how good do you have to be to join in the intermediate swim sessions with Chester?

cougie    pirate
21/05/2013 at 18:25
Chester tri got me swimming too - fantastic efforts by them !
21/05/2013 at 18:28

You will soon get better.... 

Sadly I haven't been going much this winter, as running has been this years focus, and the baths have been closed for renovation...

go along and try, you will soon fit in.. Manley Mere opened last Tuesday as well

21/05/2013 at 18:49

You're in luck. Very good swim and run sections at Chester. Well coached and inclusive.... even the track session is friendly! The bike section has traditionally been a bit crap though... the Club Captain used to lead one ride from Blue Moon that's not especially popular because it's a bit hardcore. Unfortunately, he got seriously wiped out by a car just recently, so I'm not sure what the provision is. Other bike ride leaders weren't so common, but that might have changed recently.

Suggestion... Deva Tri in two weeks and they're crying out for volunteers because it's such a big event this year. Throw your hat into that ring and it'll break the ice nicely for you. I think I'm on "carparks" at 05:00

21/05/2013 at 18:52

The club ride is still happening, Dom is on the mend, we voted in a new Club Captain earlier in the year.

check out the Chester Tri face book page or website 

22/05/2013 at 13:45

Will you be down there for the big race, Dave? Muffin's doing it, subject to ridding herself of flu, throat infection, sciatica, ITB strain, strained periformis, strained deltoid and... erm... no I think that's it.

22/05/2013 at 13:49

I can't I'm in London that weekend, someone arranged tickets for the Bowie exhibition at the V&A as well as going up The Shard without consulting my diary !

and meeting Sprog 4's boyfriends parents. Eek

im sure Muffin will have a great time 

Edited: 22/05/2013 at 13:49
Blisters    pirate
24/05/2013 at 19:48

Hi there, mitvated newbie. I've done one year in tri, and find that the whole aura is far more inclusive and fun loving than the running scene. A year ago I was virtually a non-swimmer and now? I'm still going to be last, but at least I'll find the bike. Certainly, call the Deva organisers and offer to marshall, they can never have too many.

I'm going to be dressed in yellow and stood on a street corner on Sunday myself.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.