Bike Numpty

Wheel help needed

15 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/06/2010 at 16:01

I'm a complete bike numpty (would do a course if I could find one!) and need some help.

My quick release levers are so tight I can't get them to budge let alone release quickly.

How do I get them to release?

Cheers

Pixie

27/06/2010 at 16:03
Pull harder.  Wrap something round your hand so they don't hurt.  If that doesn't work you need to find a burly bloke to do it for you.  When you re-fit the wheel undo the QR a bit so it's not so tight.
27/06/2010 at 17:30
If that fails you can always find a bit of metal pipe and put the lever inside and use the length for extra leverage... if that doesn't work... I'd find a hacksaw.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/06/2010 at 19:28

oh gosh that sounds serious pkim!

Mister W are you voluntering!!

I don't need to get the wheel off for transport as it's a tiny bike but if I need to change a tyre I will!!

27/06/2010 at 19:48
It's not that serious... just joking on the hacksaw part. The pipe part will work ..by putting it on the lever you're just making it longer which makes it easier to move. 
27/06/2010 at 19:51
Use your allen keys/bike tools as a lever.  it won't take much to move the handle slightly for you to then use your hands
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/06/2010 at 19:53

thanks guys!

27/06/2010 at 22:01
When you close the QR push it with the palm of your hand.  If it hurts your hand to close it then it's too tight.  You should be able to pull it open without too much effort.  If you can't then loosen it off a bit and try again.
28/06/2010 at 09:46
+1 for what Mr W says

there's no need to overtighten QRs - the wheel won't drop out even at finger tight
cougie    pirate
28/06/2010 at 15:50

Also most bikes these days have tabs to keep the wheel in so even if the lever did somehow become undone, the wheel cant fall out.

I did a 3 mile descent once with my front wheel QR undone. (and its possible that it had been like that since home unless someone was playing silly buggers at the cafe on the top - so it could have been 30 miles) and that was in the days before tabs.

28/06/2010 at 15:56
"so even if the lever did somehow become undone, the wheel cant fall out."

tell MMmm that cougs - a couple of years ago the front wheel on his MTB dropped out doing a bunny hop across a puddle and resulted in him doing an interesting face plant as the forks hit the ground........ooops
cougie    pirate
28/06/2010 at 16:03
LOL ! He must have had it really loose !  Dont suppose anyone got that on tape ?
28/06/2010 at 16:05
Yep, I know someone who did a collar bone when his front wheel whizzed off on a decent - yikes.
28/06/2010 at 16:22

Now you're scaring Pix so she'll be doing the QR up with a big spanner!

It needs to be undone or really loose for the wheel to fall out.  Even then, on a road bike the chances of the wheel falling out are pretty slim as the dropouts face down or at an angle so your weight keeps the wheel in place.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/06/2010 at 19:20

well I located 2 big strong men at lunch and after a bit of swearing they got them undone - they are now loser!

Being a short arse with an ickle bike the floor isn't that far away off so if it did fall off I wouldn't have far to go!

Thanks for your help guys!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.