Bike Time Improvements

21 to 27 of 27 messages
11/05/2011 at 11:04

First thing is to check your handlebars to see if they are standard or oversize - this refers to the thick bit in the middle where the stem clamps on - as some tri bars fit standard and some oversize (some probably have a shim to fit either).

As you are fitting them to a road bike you probably want some that are fairly short.    If you plan to keep them on your bike all the time and like riding on the tops (holding the middle of your handlebars rather than the hoods or the drops) then you might want to think about getting some with pads that flip up.

Remember they only increase your speed if you set them up so your position is more aero - I also find that unless I have plenty of weight on them it compromises control of the bike - so you'll need to be willing to play about with things like stem height and saddle position, maybe even get a no setback seatpost, to get the best out of them.       

If you are anywhere near Derby (well you never know) I've got a couple of pairs in the shed you are welcome to borrow for a few weeks to try out.

11/05/2011 at 11:11

Ok - I have last years Specialized Allez - which I believe have oversized handlebars.

I would look to keep them on there all of the time, and yes I usually prefer to ride on the drops.

Unfortunately nowhere near derby but appreciate the offer.

Currently watching these on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250817002904&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150603523668&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

11/05/2011 at 11:13

these

and these

did the links for you.      You don't need to spend as much as that first set are going to go for - haven't clicked on the second link yet - you should be able to get some for maybe £20 if buying second hand.    Think one set of mine was given me and the other set cost about a tenner off a club mate.

Edited: 11/05/2011 at 11:14
11/05/2011 at 11:22

Wow - ok I was happy to spend £30 - £40

Need to find a willing seller then! LOL thanks for doing the links.

11/05/2011 at 11:32
Ribble have plenty of new ones in your price range.   Oversize bars will be ~31.8mm clamp.
11/05/2011 at 12:27

If you buy tri-bars, make sure you practice on them. Strange feeling first of all, steering with your elbows. Also you need to get used to trying hard in that position. Before riding a 12hr I used to do 100m rides on the tri-bars, just to get used to the position. 

Training wise 3 sessions which may help:

1. Long rides of around 2 - 3 hours, preferably with some hills and stay in the saddle pushing a largish gear up the climbs to build strength.

2. Find a club and do some evening 10m TTs. Getting good at time trialling requires practice. Even better would be to ride as a 2-up so you can learn from someone else.

3. Find a flat, straight, quiet stretch of road measuring 1/2 mile. Twice per week ride 6 - 8 flat out 1/2m intervals (should take just over 1 min) then turn around and ride slowly back to the start. You will need a run up so you hit the start of each interval at required speed. Do this for 2 months before your target race.

11/05/2011 at 13:05

Brilliant - Fantastic advice - thank you - I know just the road for number 3!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.