Box Hill

Who dunnit?

1 to 20 of 61 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/09/2007 at 09:55

Aparently the National Trust have called in Inspector Knacker of the Yard to find out who painted "GO PIRATES - COACH BARLOS WAS ERE" on the zig-zag road.

Yellow paint too.  You think of everything

Imeccentric    pirate
03/09/2007 at 21:21
Bike ponce informed me of said yesterday evening but I was drunkerer than I am now.

I have no idea its not like we even have a race there for ages?
Plum    pirate
03/09/2007 at 21:32

Me and Greenie drove up it on Sunday and I never even saw it .......

........................ must be an age thing

05/09/2007 at 10:55

VOTE BARLOS!!!!!!!!!

Symes    pirate
05/09/2007 at 11:28

I'm sure whoever did it would have used a water based paint which will wash away very shortly, maybe, perhaps?

Vote Barlos

PSC    pirate
05/09/2007 at 12:42

LOL!!  Odd how they react to this small piece of artwork and ignore the millions cans worth of spray paint daubed on houses/walls/railway bridges by under age hoody wearing yobs!!  Anyway it's about time Dorking was made interesting!

Vote BARLOS indeed.....  

05/09/2007 at 13:05

I think a key part of the problem is that it is a private road.

Sorry to sound all officious.... but people organising races there have quite a hard time getting permission, partly because it is a private road and the local residents aren't all the kind of people you would describe as being "cycle friendly"

I'm sure it is water based paint and will wash off given a little bit of time, meanwhile hot air will be vented at the top of the hill!

Please please think before doing anything that might upset local people anywhere... it would be a great shame if Pirates weren't welcome at races or if races got cancelled because of something that was supposed to be just a bit of fun.

Now go out and play nicely........... 

05/09/2007 at 13:16
Is this for real?
After the grief the Vitruvian organisers got last summer?

(I won't start on the pros and cons of graffiti-ing a beautiful area)
05/09/2007 at 13:41

as lindi says, it doesn't matter if it IS water based paint - the damage is done.  the Daily Hatemail reading public are always quick to jump to the worst conclusions.  and if it washes away a week later, they aren't going to revise their opinion and think 'aaaah, so they weren't cnuts after all!".  they will assume, if anything, that the concil had to spend some of their hard earned taxes scrubbing it clean.  why give them ammunition, or reason to think we are cnuts?

also why give the race organisers a hard time?  a bunch of irrational complaints from the public or police that take a few hours to wrap up are a few hours of completely unneccesary, avoidable grief, caused by the selfish few.

what's wrong with chalk?  ok it takes a bit longer to apply, but that's a chav reason not to use it.

05/09/2007 at 13:51
i do love a dedate.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/09/2007 at 14:05

With a bit of luck the local residents will only drive up and not notice it - I was on my bike and only saw it when I was almost over it because the letters aren't enormous.  It only takes one though and it'll be all round the village...

I know that off-road running events there have to specify 'no spikes' because the NT are wary of the damage to paths they might cause, so they won't be too happy about grafitti, especially if they can link it to a specific club or event.

05/09/2007 at 14:12

Is this for real?

I do hope whatever paint was used was environmentally friendly - I found a little live snake when I went up the zig zag on Saturday - I don't want to see him get hurt.

05/09/2007 at 14:21

I'm a bit sad that it's come to this - and I don't mean the fact that I've made two serious opinion-type posts in 24 hours. 

The best thing about being associated with the Pirates is that (most) people that come across us love us - not just the whole 'anyone can if they want to' ethos, but the fact that we lend our very colourful and vocal support to everyone, whatever the colour of their Lycra.

Why on earth spoil it with what is in effect nothing better than vandalism? Even if it does all wash away it's spoilt things for a while, both environmentally and in PR terms.

ps Vote Barlos!

cougie    pirate
05/09/2007 at 14:22

I dont think any snakes were painted over.  More likely to be run over.

But yeah - I think we should go for chalk in future.  I know the roads get painted for Le Tour, but theres a bit more appreciation over there for cycling than there is here.

Bulk order of chubby chalk next time eh ?

05/09/2007 at 14:24
or maybe just stick to roadside flags an' stuff? I can imagine that there might still be hysterical reaction even to chalk - silly-nosed White Van Prat from Bala is probably just waiting to pounce...
cougie    pirate
05/09/2007 at 14:41
And not even flags for IMUK- some of the Tripetalkers had their banners ripped down and the stakes broken this year by some marshall !
05/09/2007 at 14:49

that's kind of understandable too - if they are left unattended (so they become potential 'litter', and a potential hazard in strong wind).  that's why we kept hold of the big banners at IMA, and had hand flags on sticks.  and you'll notice that even the flags had a 'no littering' message on them.

it's not rocket science.  leave the place as you found it, and don't create any potential hazards.

05/09/2007 at 15:14

Yes - pease treat everywhere with respect

except Swindon

cougie    pirate
05/09/2007 at 15:18

Candy - the banners were firmly in the ground - so much that the stakes were broken taking them down, and then they were left loose on the ground - so more of a hazard there !

I see your point though - but IMUK didnt seem to think things through.

M...eldy    pirate
05/09/2007 at 15:22
I think a neatly placed brolly in the hedge is the way to go      !
1 to 20 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.