Calling Daz and other bike nerds

Need new wheels

21 to 24 of 24 messages
05/10/2003 at 13:35
Agree with the guys on tubs. More puncture-resistant and, personally, I feel a lot quicker to change in a race situation. Rather than fiddling about taking off a clincher and replacing the tubular......with tubs you just pull the damaged one off and put the spare straight on (without any glue or anything - the residue left is enough). You can do this in seconds.
One other thing is if you puncture a tub and are just a few miles from ther end of the race then you can ride on it! There is enough material to get round at a (obv) slower pace but without risk of coming off or damaging the wheels.
Oh and if wet, whether you choose tubs or clinchers, just a case of reducing tyre pressure to increase rolling resistance and provide better grip......i think thats right(?)

So Monique, you decided what you are going to do? hehe

Tim, my back is a 'verstappen'(?) but the front is a vittoria cx like yours.

Monique    pirate
05/10/2003 at 18:18
I'm all tearful now from the stress and overtired from doing an unplanned 75 miles on the bike- didn't get a puncture so I'll probably stick to clinchers- I understand those, any how enjoyed myself so much I think I'll move to longer distances. When I was small I had solid tyres on one bike, never had a puncture- might try those if they still do them, just get a springy seat to compensate.

Thanks for all the help though- I will shop around for wheels although I bonded with Joey today so like him with all his little imperfections.
cougie    pirate
06/10/2003 at 12:37
Daz - don't ride it if you have a flat tub and carbon wheels ! I know a guy who trashed his disk wheel doing that in a local Time Trial. Doh !

Glad to hear you and Joey are getting on so well Mon !
06/10/2003 at 14:28
maybe he was overweight? :O)

tim, you were right about the brand name of my front tyre....verstappen just seemed to come to mind! too much formula1!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.