Calling Daz

Biathlon season openers

21 to 40 of 40 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/01/2006 at 10:42
Wow to yesterday's women's relay at Ruhpoplding - only 0.1 seconds between Russia and Germany for first place!

Looking forward to the men's relay tonight, I'll be home in time to see it on Eurosport.
12/01/2006 at 10:42
it's 17:15 CET, so that'll be an hour earlier in GB
12/01/2006 at 10:59
Hi IW,

How did you get to see the womens relay so early, I think Euro are showing it right now....

Cool result though, I'll def check that out tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm off as of fri night to arabba for a week. no luck with transportation to antholz but it doesnt matter now....cos....the girlfriend lives in turin. so were off there for the winter olympics!!! cant wait. we're prob going to watch the mass starts (on same day). maybe i can make a banner of some sort.
dead excited.

12/01/2006 at 11:39
ooooh wonderful! don't forget to put "Daz" on the banner then if you're on the screen I'll see you!

That's the replay - it was on live yesterday at 17:15 CET
12/01/2006 at 16:57
ah! ok. ive got them both on timer during today so will watch later. dont tell me how the mens went though.

i can do that but will seem strange holding up a banner for myself lol.

its interesting that some of these pros take time out from the world cup tour. ole's skipped a lot, although i think he skipped the last one through illness? I wonder if he can still win the overall? surely he'll have to win most of the others as his weaker results (taken away) will just be his DNS's?
13/01/2006 at 06:06
Most of the Norwegian team have been ill. I reckon he'll concentrate on being fit for the Olympics. David Goldstrum last night posed the question to Mike Dixon re Alexander Wolf - which is more important, the overall World Cup win or an Olympic gold medal. Dixon plumped for the gold.
GB team raced in the relay, but didn't see much of them! Good that we've got 4 racers though, quite a few nations don't.

By the way, temps in Torino are confidently predicted to be around -20C this weekend.
13/01/2006 at 08:24
Wow

didn't know english would actually watch biathlon. I just love the sport and have been watching it for over 5 years now.

Will watch again the live version of the womens race this afternoon (nice to live in Belgium and have German telly and to be a student so can watch it live if I have no classes)
13/01/2006 at 12:07
I've been living in Germany almost 30 years and am a great fan of biathlon. Looking forward to this weekend's pursuit races.

Isn't the women's sprint this afternoon at 14:15 on Eurosport?
13/01/2006 at 12:09
welcome sasjeh - I notice on your profile you bike and swim too? You're in the right place here, we're great at getting newbies involved in triathlon!
13/01/2006 at 14:38
Yep

but no triathlon and won't be doing one soon. Should first get this running in order. Biking would not be a problem, bike every day on a very old bike to uni with nearly flat tires :) But scared of big down hill biking.

And swimming, I should really learn crawl properly, but I'm a good breast stroke swimmer and therefore well never really converted to crawl.

And about the sprint, it was really tight for the first spot and will not tell who won in the end, so everybody can enjoy the race
13/01/2006 at 16:20
Very surprised to find a Biathlon thread...

I've heard that Mike Dixon has started a Club up in Aviemore for any budding biathletes. Would be good to lift the profile of the sport.

Daz, Any top tips on getting from Turin Airport to the the Biathlon venue as the official website is good on pictures low on information?!
13/01/2006 at 19:56
What I saw on telly is that at the moment even the italians don't really know how to get there.

It's at 1600m altitude and at the moment there is only a mud road going up (everything still in contruction).

I guess there will be buses from the center of turin to the different venues that are outside turin. I don't think they will let personal cars or taxi drive up that small mountain road. But I am not sure.
13/01/2006 at 20:18
Good result on the sprint! Should make the pursuit race very interesting.

sas - looking at the description of your bike I'm not surprised you're a bit wary of downhilling! A good bike makes all the difference in the world. As for breaststroke, I'm a (slow) crawl swimmer and have often been overtaken by good breaststroke swimmers in tri races.
14/01/2006 at 08:05
How long is the longest swim in a tri race, then I know if I at least can swim that in one go (if I swim I do mostly 1-1.5k in a pool).

I'm looking forward to the pursuit, but first today the men. Looking forward to a whole day of wintersport.
16/01/2006 at 19:44
sasjeh - depends on the type of tri race. There are 4 'recognized' distances, although some races are a bit different due to the race venue.
The standard ones are
Sprint - 500m swim/20km bike/5km run
Short (Olympic) - 1500m/40km/10km
Middle - 2km/90km/21.2km
Long (Ironman) - 3.8km/180km/42.2km
16/01/2006 at 19:46
what a fantastic weekend down in Ruhpolding! Those two pursuit races were so exciting, and both ending a photo-finish, what could be better?
18/01/2006 at 11:13
Hi Ironwolf, sasjeh, muddy runner,

im currently on the hotel computer in arabba, italy. this is our 4th full day here and im loving it. im quite pleased that ive progressed so well. my friends are struggling and still on the nursery slope but ive gone from a blue slope in day1, to first red in day2, and yesterday my set challenge was to go around the selleronda circuit (40km of slopes and lifts).
i started at 10:30 and got back to the last slope into arabba at 4pm, just in time before they close all the major lifts.

My technique isnt very good but then ive only skiid once before and that was a week with school when 11. I think the reason Ive been able to do the slopes when my friends havnt is down to balance/control/confidence thats come with tri and other stuff. they dont do any sports. what do you think?

Thing is i experienced the most frightening moment in my life yesterday thats put me off doing any red slopes again. took a cable car up to a high mountain peak and HAD to go down a red to stay on selleronda. i was told by couple at bottom (when asking directions) that it was hard so I thought I was prepared.

But GOD it was reall steep, long, with sheer cliff and no barricades to one side. My clockwise turn nis crap and I stood there for ages. I really sh-t myself looking down and in the end i had to shimmy down and side slide which took ages. so scared my knees were even shaking. total respect to skiers!

18/01/2006 at 11:17
oh tried hard top get transport sorted for antholz tomorrow but its a no go. only option is taxi which would cost the 4 of us about 150euros one way! its a bit far to ski/lift to unfort. will watch somein a bar. im trying some altitude runnign today. i did 1hour30 at 1.6-1.9k the other day. today im going for 2-2.3k (or more if can go off road) for a few hours. there are no flat roads here though, just up and down so may be tough.
lovin it all though.
hope the biathlon is exciting as it was last week. damn fine sport!

sas, where in belgium do you live? i studied in antwerp for 6months.

18/01/2006 at 11:18
my gf lives in turin, so ill ask her if she knows how to get to the olympics site. actually, she said she has a friend who lives just a few miles away, so she should know!

ps - IW, can you start a new thread with biathlon in big letters :o)
instead of my name.
18/01/2006 at 11:43
sure Daz - coming up!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.