Campagnolo gear problems

14 messages
14/05/2011 at 17:01

I have recently brought an old cycle off a friend as i'm starting out tri racing and i didn't want to splash out on a new bike if i don't like triathlon, it has campagnolo gearing with mirage ergo shifters, a veloce rear deraillier and a 9 speed cassette. The issue that i'm having is that when i'm shifting gear the largest 4 gears shift very well but then for about the next 3 cogs the chain clicks as if not located properly. I've had a little tinker with the tension of the cable and this just takes the issue from the original cogs to the previously ok ones, all spacing between cogs is equal so i can't see why the shifting isn't constant, has anybody got any advice as to what could be causing this and remedies if anyone has any.

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
14/05/2011 at 18:11
Stretched chain, derailieur out of line with cassette, bent derailieur or hanger?
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
14/05/2011 at 18:17
14/05/2011 at 20:39
Like Nicko says could be a number of things - I'd add worn/gunged up/poorly routed cables to the list of possibles.  
Kanga M    pirate
14/05/2011 at 20:40

Or this, although FB may differ ...
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
14/05/2011 at 21:04
Kanga (M.) wrote (see)

Or this, although FB may differ ...

Aherm my carbon has athena
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
14/05/2011 at 21:08
I'm going with new chain needed as its mainly on the higher gears, the chain doesn't have as many teeth to climb onto.
Get it serviced and see what the bike shop says???
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
14/05/2011 at 22:04
errr- replace it with some SRAM gear that works...

*ducks from the torrent of abuse *
15/05/2011 at 17:25
Many thanks for everyones help, i've been informed on a different forum that i may want to check where the cable is clamped on the derraileur i.e. above or below the bolt, as it should be below the bolt, i changed the cable a few days ago and i had routed it above the bolt, i've rectified this and the issue has gone away
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
15/05/2011 at 19:09
I knew that
15/05/2011 at 22:29
Beavis wrote (see

Many thanks for everyones help, i've been informed on a different forum that i may want to check where the cable is clamped on the derraileur i.e. above or below the bolt, as it should be below the bolt, i changed the cable a few days ago and i had routed it above the bolt, i've rectified this and the issue has gone away

popsider wrote (see)
Like Nicko says could be a number of things - I'd add worn/gunged up/poorly routed cables to the list of possibles.  
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
16/05/2011 at 08:03
Bet he's been on Tritalk  [hack cough spit]
M.r Zuvai    pirate
16/05/2011 at 08:16
Nicko. wrote (see)

This might help

usefull link - thanks nicko

16/05/2011 at 16:00

Popsider,

I'm greatful for your help and i did check the routing was correct (to my knowledge) it's just that the other forum specified the bolt / cable combination as this is something that i would of never thought of.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.