Cateye probs

(not the animal)

1 to 20 of 22 messages
04/03/2004 at 11:19
I have cordless cateye2 on both my training and racing bikes and they are now both playing-up.

They dont seem to be recording each revolution of the wheel, so the speed is erratic eg at 20mph theyll show anything from 0,4,8 etc.

Thought at first it was the batteries. Put some new ones in, but still the same problem. I have now found though that holding the computer close to the transmitter means it DOES pretty much pick up each rev.

So I guess I need to change the transmitters over? I didnt realise they had a life span of 1-2 years??

Daz

04/03/2004 at 11:24
They do require more battery life than other computers and they are known to do what you have just described.

Make sure the distance is still the same between computer and sensor as this has an effect on the computers ability to function!!

Flightdeck is the way to go if you have shimano sti's
04/03/2004 at 11:32
new batteries and same distance. so yeh must be transmitters
cougie    pirate
04/03/2004 at 11:35
My cateye was very reliable for many years until it fell off one day. Sob.

My flightdeck broke after about a month. Cheap Shimano rubbish ! ;-)

Daz - you are talking about replacing the batteries in the transmitter bit on the fork aren't you ?
04/03/2004 at 12:24
??
are there batteries in the transmitter as well!? I didnt know that. though they were just in the cateye comp itself, doh!
04/03/2004 at 12:53
Yes its generally where they go first!!
cougie    pirate
04/03/2004 at 12:57
Problem solved !!
08/03/2004 at 16:28
change batteries and still having probs. probably damaged the transmitter someohow, i dont know. very frustrating! i cant see how exceedingly quick and amazingly proficient i am on the bike now, lol
cougie    pirate
08/03/2004 at 16:28
Maybe it's for the best eh Daz ?

;-)
08/03/2004 at 16:45
lol,
or maybe they cant handle the speed of sound
cougie    pirate
08/03/2004 at 16:51
Just add an extra magnet to the wheel - your speed will double overnight.
08/03/2004 at 17:00
listen, its a racing bike, not a bmx with spokies!!!
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/03/2004 at 19:27
I guess you know about the max distances between the transmitter and spoke magnet as well as the transmitter and receiver/display unit, other than that im sorry I cant help, though as siad could be battery power or a fault.

If you do want the distances to check anything I still have my box and fitting instructions and will go take a look.
10/03/2004 at 12:46
no mate, the distances (from cateye to transmitter) are exactly the same as when I first set them up....and they worked for a year+
batteries have been changed.
sooooo......the transmitter must be buggered. ill take to a shop when i get a chance, and let you know. maybe its just me, but two cat-eyes in space of a couple of month. cant be the only poor sod!
11/03/2004 at 11:19
daz - me and petal have the same problems with our cordless Cateyes 7's on both the roadies and MTB's - 3 systems in total. spoke to the guy where I bought them and he said he has heard of a few problems - he suggested first off to change batteries in the transmitter and if still playing up he would take them back and speak to the cateye dealers. haven't got around to doing anything yet but will do so as soon as time allows.

I might also speak to Zyro who are the main importers to see what the say.
cougie    pirate
11/03/2004 at 11:27
Are these the new Cateye cordless ones ?

I had the old one for years with no faults.
Then I lost it so had to get the new one.

Much preferred the old one though,
11/03/2004 at 11:53
yes - I had the older Cordless ones witout problems but got the new ones for the new roadies and broke the transmitter on another so replaced it.
cougie    pirate
11/03/2004 at 11:58
B*gger. I hate the look of the new computer. Just looks rubbish.
11/03/2004 at 12:08
s'only looks Cougs - still works the same! or not as the case may be.
cougie    pirate
11/03/2004 at 12:10
Looks worse, and fails quicker. So not a major advance for consumers.

On the other hand - prob better for Cateye - maybe the predecessor was a bit too sturdy ?
1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.