Challenge Henley 2011

For those who think the Outlaw is too far ooop naaarth

261 to 280 of 346 messages
18/09/2011 at 22:04
Yay!! Well done everyone, sounds like a tough course. Very impressed all.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/09/2011 at 22:08
Nice one fellas, great stuff.
JD.    pirate
18/09/2011 at 23:22
excellent work, pretty horrible weather too. i hope the massive hail storm that passed by me didn't go on to Henley.
JD.
19/09/2011 at 07:13
Awesome guy and girls, I take my hat off to you <<doffs cap >>
Darkness    pirate
19/09/2011 at 07:17
Here here. Congratulations.
19/09/2011 at 07:42
Whoo Hoo :0D

<waves flags>
seren nos yn canu    pirate
19/09/2011 at 08:30
5 speedy racers there.....................sounds tough......waiting for the reports
19/09/2011 at 09:07
Some of those run times are AWEsome. I bow down. And both Steve and Dibber did Regensburg, too.

Brilliant. Yay another week of reports.
19/09/2011 at 09:15
well done guys - only saw 2 in pirate kit - Steve Ho and Jaffa.

it was a bloody hard day refereeing as well as we were on site at 5am and didn't get away until 6pm when relief refs came on board for the evening shift. keeping the concentration for that long when people are speeding past is hard work

good news - no DQs and no time penalties awarded although we held a few people up for transgressions/warnings (socks in the swim, 2 guys peeing in T1, 4 ipod wearers had their units confiscated - they were put back into their bags). I think 7 didn't make bike cutoff which isn't bad considering weather and severity of bike course, and seems a lot of punctures and crashes. the 75 yr old from NZ was last seen by me on lap 1 of the run - I hope he finished.

WildWill    pirate
19/09/2011 at 10:18
well done all
19/09/2011 at 10:22

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the online support and advice over the last nine months.

Wow - what an event. I'm on a total high and loved every minute of it. Did it with a smile on my face and would recommend it to anyone next year.

I'll write a report later and really pleased to hear everyone got in safe and sound. Argh! I'm officially a Pirate!

19/09/2011 at 14:07

Great stuff, Richard!

Re racing transgressions, I saw a bloke with socks/bootees in a video or photo of the swim start at IMW. 

19/09/2011 at 14:09

I'm back home,  thanks for the support guys,   Henley was out in force for this in some crap weather at times,  the marshalls and helpers all did a fantastic job,  race report will follow in the next day or 2 but I'm going for a little granny nap now as my body is in absolute bits.

And the tracker was slightly wrong as no way I could have run a 4:06 yesterday (or taken 67 mins in T2!)

seren nos yn canu    pirate
19/09/2011 at 15:22
AH.we were told at the briefing at IMW that socks were allowed but not gloves for the swim.not sure if it was connected to the sea temps
19/09/2011 at 15:33
AH/Seren

It's down to the Race Director to a) define whose rules they race under and b) to apply variations if necessary

CH was run under BTF rules - that's why ipods were banned. I had a bit of a discussion with one athlete when I stopped him wearing his. he said that he was allowed to wear it at Challenge Roth so why not Henley - I pointed out that BTF rules do not allow them and the RD had also said in the race briefings that they were banned - he handed it over no problem. if he'd ignored me, he would have been DQ'd.

IWM chose to allow socks - CH didn't and we got 3 people to remove them. one was allowed but she had declared a medical condition in advance to the RD and we knew her number so she was fine.
19/09/2011 at 17:44
Well done all. Looking forward to the race reports.
19/09/2011 at 19:54

Socks - I see.

Come on Jaffa, you slacker. Sleep, indeed.

19/09/2011 at 21:49
Well done all! Some testing conditions for you yesterday.

Really looking forward to the reports.
19/09/2011 at 22:20

Cheers for the support everyone

Sounded like a long day FB - the marshal on the run course across from our hotel had been there since 4am and was on until the end, although I know some of the marshals were relieved of duty as they changed mid-run! Saw mitten on the corner at lower assenden, not sure if she recognised me or not...

Saw at least two people with ipods on the bike course and four cross the line of cones, one in front of the aid station. And one cheating drafting b*stard behind me...

Well done Jaffa, Steve, Richard and 36DD.

My report is uber long, but kept me busy for much of the evening...

19/09/2011 at 22:22

My mother and sister like to remind me that after the Outlaw last year, I said ‘never again’ – my retort was that I had not in fact said that, I’d said ‘Sarah, Debbie, never do an Ironman’. However I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Nonetheless, I began to wonder if I was already doing enough training to take part in a late summer ironman, even though it was April already. I consulted last year’s training diary and chose Challenge Henley.

Race day did not get off to the best start! I got up and had my breakfast and Jennie and I set off for the river taxi – the race is a split transition so the swim and T1 are based 2-3 miles from T2, the finish and expo at Phyllis Court. The boat was 15 minutes late – it was originally due to arrive at 6.10 and transition due to shut at 6.30 – with my water bottles to fill up and bike cover to remove this was a little bit stressful. We eventually got on the boat and I began to put on my wetsuit and had the sudden realisation that my chip was sitting on my hotel room floor. Jennie tried to get off the boat but I insisted I could race chip-free. Jennie then got on the phone to Super Victoria and told her the situation. Now this is me so stress = tears and I started crying on the boat (shame). When the boat arrived, we heard there had been a 10 minute delay to all waves, which was in my favour. The closed road cycle route meant Mum and Victoria couldn’t drive along the route so they began to walk and my sister set off at a run to meet them whilst I went to sort out my bike. On emerging from T1, I saw Victoria running at me, brandishing my chip to the sound of (not a word of a lie) ‘The Final Countdown’. Victoria and my mother had hitchhiked their way to the business school to get there in time! Hugs dried the tears away and I then met Jaffa and we posed for a few photos before heading to the swim start.

I asked the people dangling their feet off the pontoon into the water if it was ‘cold, warm, freezing?’ and was told it was freezing. I dipped my toes in, proclaimed that ‘I swim in Loch Lomond, this is positively balmy’ and jumped in. To summarise in one word, the swim was misty! You couldn’t see the buoys from a distance at all so it was back to the time honoured tradition of either following the people in front, or following the bank! I briefly recalled standard grade geography teaching me that the current should be slower nearer the banks but didn’t make much of an effort to move over. Got to the turn at 39:20 ish and swam 1:18:26 (overall position 271) so there obviously wasn’t much of a current. Still misty on the way back in and was v. bored, resorted to counting strokes up to 100, partly as entertainment, partly to get ‘row row row your boat’ out my head.

261 to 280 of 346 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.