Challenge Henley 2012

16th September (Same as IM Wales)

16 messages
The Silent Assassin    pirate
19/01/2012 at 14:05

So is anybody signed up for this.

I know a few did it last year, be good to get their thoughts on the event.

Still torn between this and IM Wales, but as IM Wales is now not Activity Wales but the same people who do IM UK, been looking at Challenge Henley.

Bike looks challenging

Challenge Henley

I know FB and Petal refed at it last year, wondering what they thought about it

19/01/2012 at 14:21
hi SA

don't give up on Wales just yet - it's not dead in the water yet with AW although it's not looking good sadly. but Wales will still go ahead and just because the organisers are changing doesn't change the challenge of the course which is the main thing you do these for.

it's hard to give a full view of CH from a ref's view as were limited in what we saw, but it wasn't as smoothly run as Wales but with the benefit of the 1st out of the way, it can only improve. most issues seemed to be logistics (split transition and transport between, post race bike recovery, minor course issues with lack of lighting, post race athlete refreshments etc) but I don't think that there was much wrong with it as a course. probably not as challenging as Wales, or IMUK, but tougher than Outlaw.

there were problems with the swim but that was due to fog at the start which caused delays but once it got going, it was fine

you need input from the likes of Joddly and Steve Ho who competed
The Silent Assassin    pirate
19/01/2012 at 14:24

cheers FB

just looking at total assent (I know thats not the be all and end all)

but its 5900ft at henley and 5741ft at Wales

seem to remember Jaffa doing it as well

19/01/2012 at 14:54
I don't think those figures are right but if they are I would say the Wales bike is tougher as the hills are relentless - lots of up and down so little time to rest and with 2 very steep bastards
Symes-lent night    pirate
19/01/2012 at 15:28
I understand the organisers of the TDF are getting rid of the climbing level HC (hors categorie) and replacing that with VSB (very steep bastard)
IronCat5    pirate
19/01/2012 at 22:01
I'm considering the half option as a warm down. Very local as well, which will make a change.
M...eldy    pirate
19/01/2012 at 22:07
Its very local to me too but I aint going up no more hills fool   
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
19/01/2012 at 22:10
Joddly was at im wales last year
Jaffa though did do it.....

Have a look at the race reports.......
M.r Zuvai    pirate
20/01/2012 at 07:26
Steve Ho definitely did it last year
IronCat5    pirate
20/01/2012 at 08:21
I think Which Witch (sp?) did Henley last year.
20/01/2012 at 09:41
I was getting WW and Joddly mixed up - Joddly volunteered at CH and I spoke to her after we finished reffing so my mind was thinking she competed, but she'd just come from her marshalling spot. #alzheimerssettingin
Bedders..    pirate
20/01/2012 at 20:13
Quite fancy the half actually as based in Reading and would be a nice relax from Outlaw.....anyone else up for it?
IronCat5    pirate
21/01/2012 at 11:09
Bedders.. wrote (see)
Quite fancy the half actually as based in Reading and would be a nice relax from Outlaw.....anyone else up for it?
Another v local. Do you belong to a tri club?
thedrainman    pirate
22/01/2012 at 18:31
I was on one of the aid stations on the run seem to be ok from where I was, then I wasn't taking part, my club members enjoyed the race and more are doing this year. Im waiting to see if I do Wales or Henley
22/01/2012 at 18:52
my other half did it and he loved it, cold foggy swim but otherwise fine, hilly bike, he had prepared for and dropped out of Regensburg - so probably would have prepared differently and he really enjoyed the run - esp the fancy dress aid station. All in all felt it ws well organised and felt welcomed to the "challenge family"
think he was pretty keen to do this year, but have other fish to fry....
07/09/2012 at 13:05

Hi there everyone. I have an entry to Henley for this year but unfortunately I'm not going to be a ble to do it because I have knackered my ankle. Their draconian policy of no refunds or postponing to next year means that I have an entry going and so am posting to find out whether anybody would be interested in it. I know this is all a bit last minute but I thought that it was always worth a punt 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.