Channel Swim 2013

Sink or Swim

21 to 26 of 26 messages
19/08/2013 at 12:53

I was going with Channel Swimming Association who have accredited pilots but you make your agreement with boat owner / pilot individually, under their terms.

In turn, you pay a separate, smaller fee to the CSA who provide an official observer. Thankfully I'd not exposed myself to much cost, only boat deposit, which was refunded.

19/08/2013 at 14:26

ah - thanks.  seems odd that the CSA weren't aware that the pilot was no longer offering his services.

at least you got the deposit back but you must be pretty deflated after all the training

anyway - better luck for next time....

19/08/2013 at 20:27

Robbie, if you are still interested then I might be able to put you in contact with a CSPF pilot who has free slots.  There have been quite a few cancellations this year due to swimmers not realising how much was involved and pulling out when they realise that they haven't done enough training.  Its called the David Walliams Effect.

Did you get your medical and qualifier done as they would be the two main things preventing you from going this year.

19/08/2013 at 23:11

Thanks SuperC and bravo on your recent accomplishment. My pilot pulled out at beggining of year and after failing to secure another suitable slot, the dream was dropped. So sadly I do not have suitable qualifying swim under my belt but thank you anyway. The Channel wont stay on my bucket list for too many more years!

citizen 146    pirate
20/08/2013 at 12:59

swimming is my best tri discipline and if I won the lottery tomorrow I have said I that I would love to swim the channel, that's not the same as doing it , RESPECT. Ps I don't play the lottery anymore just in case .

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/08/2013 at 11:09

I too would love to swim it, beats sitting on a pilot boat and puking every couple of minutes. I have endurance, and cold doesn't bother me, but I'm too slow, and about to retire from work soon so likely won't be able to afford such expensive dreams!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.