Cheshire Traithlon, May 22nd

461 to 480 of 492 messages
23/06/2011 at 21:36
No, Outlaw in the summer = scared feckin silly hobbit
Big Al The Outlaw    pirate
24/06/2011 at 08:47
Just get into the mindset that you're gonna do it! If you actually contemplate what it entails then you'll be put off every time! If someone had told me when I first started running that I'd be doing a marathon I'd have laughed at them as I struggled to complete a mile!
24/06/2011 at 10:19

Al - as for picking up Matt's wetsuit. will be out training at lunch should be ok after 13:30..

24/06/2011 at 11:15
That's fine mate, I'm testing out my new (pending) carbon bike today then going for a run so it will be after that time. I shall let you know when I'm on my way.
24/06/2011 at 17:56
Wetsuit exchange complete, cheers Cake and Steve
24/06/2011 at 18:59
I've had to head straight out to my sisters so I'll try it out tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll get it over to royles next week or the week after that to get the zip sorted, failing that I can always get the needle and thread out
26/06/2011 at 10:54

Good news, the suit fits  so it's just a case of sorting that zipper out and we're away.

Looks like it may need a new zip though as there isn't much material left to stitch to but I'll let them have a look at Royle's and see what they say.

27/06/2011 at 13:22
Oh yes indeed, once I've sorted out the wetsuit then it's all about the training. Just debating whether or not to get tri bars for next year. You reckon they're worth the investment?
I think Frodo may still need a little shove in the right direction to be convinced that Outlaw is the way to go next year
Edited: 27/06/2011 at 13:24
27/06/2011 at 13:59

I think I'll need some tri bars fitted and hang the expense; been out a few times this weekend, and finally braved the Manchester rush-hour commute on the bike, but I am finding the vibrations quite tough through my damaged wrist. I suspect tri-bars will help alleviate that a bit? I found gloves helpful when I was doing 8+hour rides on the MTB, so will resurrect those too. Any other top tips? (I don't think I've mastered the ride position/set-up yet, either )

27/06/2011 at 14:43
I know nothing, Other than how to write very large cheques in Royles !!!
27/06/2011 at 15:03
frodo -  i'll be happy to help you on the bike setup.. i keep my turbo trainer at the gym in town so it should be easy enough for you to drop by after work or the weekends..
27/06/2011 at 15:42

Neither do I !!!

Millenium Lube It's the best

http://www.theimagesplace.com/eBay_CH/millennium250.jpg

27/06/2011 at 15:52

I don't know, I leave you for an hour and you've descended into comparing lubes  

Seriously, Steve, that sounds like an ace idea.

Cake, I thought the tri bars would shift the amount of weight I'm putting through my wrists at present? As for confidence, well my first ever ride was at a measly 13.5mph av for 15 miles, my second was at 14.5mph over the same distance and I know there is more in there, cos I didn't break a sweat  but everything freaks me out at the moment and causes me to slow down - road surface changes, raised iron works, corners, roundabouts, pedestrians, cars, motorbikes, vans, horses.... did I miss anything?

27/06/2011 at 15:54
caravans
27/06/2011 at 15:57
  I actually nearly overtook one, which was indeed causing me to panic, but it turned off before I properly caught up to it
27/06/2011 at 16:00
Nearly got wiped out by a couple of caravans at Bala the other week, Thought that they were gettinng thier own back after all I say about them !!!
27/06/2011 at 16:08

Tee hee

Right, I'm off to cycle home from work; thinking of being brave and heading out on a different route to add in a few extra miles. It depends how kamikaze I'm feeling as to whether I can cope with negotiating the A56 through Stretford

(This was so much easier on the MTB - just headed out to the Trans Pennine Path and pottered for hours!)

27/06/2011 at 16:28
Cake wrote (see)
I’ve got tri bars on my bike and do make a difference. The ones I’ve got a cheap’uns and not integrated into the bike so have to change position to change gears and stuff. If you can afford it best to get a bike frame that can change gears down but expensive bikes. Dave has a nice bike that that I think. For long races it’s all about %’ages and the difference something like that makes is about 5%? 5% on a ironman makes a lot of difference.

Can't afford a designated TT bike so it would just be the clip on ones that you have.

*Frodo* wrote (see)

everything freaks me out at the moment and causes me to slow down - road surface changes, raised iron works, corners, roundabouts, pedestrians, cars, motorbikes, vans, horses.... did I miss anything?

The only way to gain your confidence is to do more miles on the bike, as for other idiotic road users who seem intent on wiping you out well, there are plenty of them out there. You just have to be aware at all times and second guess what they are gonna do, if the moron looks like he/ she might cut right across you and leave you nowhere to go but over the bonnet then that is probably what he/ she's gonna try and do!!!!

Edited: 27/06/2011 at 16:28
27/06/2011 at 16:32
had a an old guy pull out on me yesterday  When I hammered on his car window he apologised and said he hadn't seen me.... I'm 6ft4 and was wearing a red and white kit yesterday !!!
27/06/2011 at 17:15
Cake wrote (see)
. Racing bikes are rubbish

Now he tells me !  I haven't got an MTB anyway

461 to 480 of 492 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.