Christmas List

Training aids for Christmas presents

1 to 20 of 25 messages
21/10/2011 at 18:04
Well its that time of year again and people are asking what I might want for Chrimbo.

I think I want to add to my training aids and was looking for recommendations as to what really made a difference to the way you train.

Will likely be putting some fins on the list but not sure which brand/model to go for so advice on this too please

Many thanks
Cpt.Jack sparra    pirate
21/10/2011 at 21:11
What really made a difference to my training ???...........divorce !!!
21/10/2011 at 21:15
..... best stick that on my list then!!   That should give me plenty of free hours.
21/10/2011 at 21:22
Being married to my ex did wonders for my training. Any excuse to go out for a run or ride. Since getting divorced (and marrying the wonderful and gorgeous Pink) my training has been shit.
21/10/2011 at 21:42
and on a more serious note....... my turbo trainer was a Xmas pressie and love it.  Very useful on those winter training days.  Also the 310xt but all rather expensive......I have expensive tastes it would seem.
21/10/2011 at 21:49

Kirkland Lang the boxer once said " I need the motivation"

If you can get it its free!!

21/10/2011 at 21:54
A turbo trainer and a stack of Spinerval DVDs should keep you going through the cold winter months.
21/10/2011 at 21:56
and a good woman.
Orca    pirate
27/10/2011 at 09:52

Well what do you have already? If you've been doing this stuff a while and you like toys, then you probably have a lot of stuff already. That's the way I am. I will probably replace my Garmin 305 with a 310XT at some point before next years IM but everything else I have already.

If you're new then there are options like the wetsuit, triathlon bike shoes ( i.e. the one with one strap across the front for easier mount and dismount, a lot of road shoes have double straps). A tri suit or a two piece to race in. Maybe get them to pay for some pirate kit, a must for any racer. Books on triahtlon like Joe Friel's triathlete's training bible or if you're doing IM, Going Long |(also by Friel or Don Fink's "Be Iron Fit". Winter cycling kit is always useful if you like to brave the cold but the turbo is invaluable when it's truely miserable or downright dangerous to cycle becayse of wind or ice. Seriously expensive toys could include a TT bike or a new set of wheels.

That's a few ideas to get you started.

27/10/2011 at 10:30

In terms of stuff that made a difference to the way I train, GPS for running and a bike computer that shows cadence.

In terms of stuff that makes me more likely to train, my windproof jacket/gilet (removable arms), armwarmers and buff(s).  Head torch for unlit streets and some sort of hi-viz tabard.  Trail shoes for when it gets muddy.  Yaktrax for snow.

For swimming there are various forms of lap counters and/or a swim metronome, you can also get laminated swim sets.  I've not used any of these.

Although not terribly exciting: gels, isotonic drinks etc are always going to get used.

Darkness    pirate
27/10/2011 at 11:36

All I want for for Christmas is some working knees and ankles! 

So physio gift vouchers will be on my list this year.

Last Christmas I asked for (and got!) a good headtorch (Ay Ups) for running at night which was great, but as I wrecked my ankle between Christmas and New Year I have hardly used them.  At least still in great nick for this year. 

Orca    pirate
27/10/2011 at 12:25
I went back running Tuesday for the first time in 6 weeks. I felt like I needed new knees after an easy 3 mile run
Darkness    pirate
27/10/2011 at 13:13
 Orca, you and me both.  Tried a 2 mile run at lunch after 3 trips to the physio and weeks off.  No better and was walking after less than 2 miles.  Expect I won't be able to walk down stairs within a few hours if it is like last time.  Really disappointed! 
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
27/10/2011 at 13:31

Why turbo when you can off road on a crossbike or MTB, more expensive but more fun. And you get really down and dirty
Chamoix cream/Body glide {which i'm just looking for as I've nearly run out}
Torque wrench
Tubes
Tyres/tubs
A bike service
Waterproof boot covers/gloves

Darkness    pirate
30/10/2011 at 13:31
Having enough (too many) gadgets I think I want some advice this Christmas. I have just done a swim video but want some running analysis and a bike fit too.

Trogs    pirate
30/10/2011 at 15:07

New Garmin 910, plus associated speed/cadence sensor.  Should gather all the data you need on foot/bike and in the pool

01/11/2011 at 16:28
Oh sh*t!

I've only just started in the pool and the bike's still on order, yet already I have found a new toy to start draining my wallet.

I suppose I was warned!
Doozer.    pirate
02/11/2011 at 13:20

if you are looking for deals on gear before XMAS, try www.trideals.co.uk and see what is on offer.

Have used it a couple of times and is great

02/11/2011 at 14:09
no mention Dooze of the fact that it's run by a mate of yours....well done....

been tempted by a few things on Trideals but I have some other purchase priorities seeing as I seem to have taken delivery today of a new (2nd hand) Ti MTB frame.....
02/11/2011 at 14:17
Another good place for deals is http://www.sportpursuit.co.uk/

Not run by me, my mates or anything, just seems to be a site worth keeping an eye on. Bought my vibrobarefoot shoes there at half price.

Let me know before you sign up though, there's bound to be some marketing freebie or other in it for me if I "introduce" you!!
1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.