Comparing Sprint Tri's with half-marathons

.... what is reasonable to expect?

4 messages
23/04/2013 at 18:39

I'm not exactly sure I could answer this question myself, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm doing my first sprint-tri in May, and I am wondering what to expect in terms of effort, exhaustion and recovery afterwards. Would it compare to, say, a half-marathon?

This would be assuming a similar level of fitness and training, of course.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 18:40
WhizKid    pirate
23/04/2013 at 19:25
Recovery wise in my opinion a sprint tri is way quicker too get over then a half marathon... But it's all about perceived effort... If you cruise a half marathon you need no recovery pretty much... If you haven't done much tri training and go absolutely crazy at the sprint distance you will feel it... But all in all if your running half marathons you will be fine!
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2013 at 04:48

If you feel dizzy when you get out of the water, retch whilst cycling and cry on the run then you're pretty much there for the sprint.

I reckon the entire thing feels more like 10km effort. Recovery/exhaustion is on par with HM, though spread through the whole body rather than just the legs.

25/04/2013 at 14:18

as IC5 says, it's more akin to a hard 10k than a 1/2 marathon - balls out from the off.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.