Compression gear for triathlon

Fad or fact?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
Dustboy    pirate
24/06/2010 at 22:59

Work got me a set of thermal skins and they do seem to just add a tiny edge, bit like a comfy saddle versus a racing one. The cheap ones like Aldi are great running kit but no compression effect noticed.

Skins are blooming  expensive though. 

25/06/2010 at 12:22

I think they work pretty well (even if it's all in me 'ed - I'll take whatever advantage is out there!!), but I thought some of these bits are now banned under ITU rules?  Calf guards in particular as they cover up your race number, or some other reason that I may have just made up...

Have I imagined this?

25/06/2010 at 12:39

No you haven't my furry friend

Page 71 ITU Competition Rules 2010

45. Wearing clothes covering arms from shoulder to hand and/or clothing covering legs from knee to toes (in a non wetsuit swim) and on bike and run

-Warning and amend
-If not amended DSQ

Snipped from a long thread on the subject over on th edarkside

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The chaps at IMtalk actually had someone in who had done some proper research and her conclusion was a marginal improvement for recovery, but you had to get the correct level/graduation of compression which may prove difficult.

Edit: to remove rogue smiley

Edited: 25/06/2010 at 12:39
Rc.    pirate
25/06/2010 at 13:27
AliAird wrote (see)

Rodeo, out of interest do you think the compression top helps?

I can see the logic in leggings or calf socks, but tops?

AliAird I do find when I have been on the bike and my arms and shoulders were aching I do notice a difference the next day as opposed to when I dont wear it. Not entirley sure why I bought it tbh, might have been a deal on somewhere at the time but I dont use the top anywhere near as much as the leggings
25/06/2010 at 13:36
that rule is a right dog's dinner now as this was originally instigated by WTC on the grounds that calf guards covered age group letters but WTC have since retracted this after an onslaught from the pros. but the ITU still have it in their rule books.

so race WTC and wear compression kit or race ITU and don't

effing stupid
25/06/2010 at 14:48
I'd never describe what I do as 'race', so I'll probably be exempted this rule...
Gyraffe    pirate
25/06/2010 at 15:44
I really fancy some tight black kit with lines on - it looks fab.
Aitch!    pirate
26/06/2010 at 09:36
Cake - as I said in my post, I have already bought some!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.