Considering an ironman triathlon? Want structured training advice and support?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
31/07/2012 at 20:13
As I didn't start racing IM til I was 50 I'll pack up my fiddle and go off for a pint
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
31/07/2012 at 20:23
Amy Tanner wrote (see)

Gas -

Not completely, people can have done a triathlon before but ideally not an Olympic distance one in the last two years. This is not a set requirement but a guideline as we are looking for recreationally active individuals (as there are going to be VO2max criteria to meet). The actual training plan will start in January but obviously people will be doing some training before that and people will be required to be tested in the lab every two months. The testing itself would cost hundreds if you wanted to monitor your VO2max and lactate threshold during this period. Immune measures are also likely to be taken and cardiovascular parameters. You will get entry for Barcelona at a reduced rate but will need to pay for costs associated with the race. Through the training period there should be nutrition products available for free.

Although many people on this forum are likely to be very experienced triathletes and may not be interested in this study there might be some people who have dabbled in triathlon and see completing an ironman as a great challenge and may like to participate? I hope this explains things? If you want further info drop Justin an email (address on the info page)...

Amy it does help - email sent

14/08/2012 at 18:51

If anyone is interested in this it's not too late to show it, closing date is 14th September and people will be invited in for selection testing in October...

Dustboy    pirate
14/08/2012 at 19:33

Too old, going to get lashed with DExSp

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/08/2012 at 12:38

Same as Dave - started IMs at age 50 and that was a while ago now! This study is ageist!

15/08/2012 at 13:48

all of these types of studies in the UK are ageist to the over 50's.  it's something to do with insurance - the old "what if" scenario if you peg it on a treadmill.  bloody insurance actuaries need lining up and shooting

Gyraffe    pirate
15/08/2012 at 16:48

Old people are always complaining aren't they...  

15/08/2012 at 17:27

shut it youngster....

IronCat5    pirate
15/08/2012 at 17:31
Gyraffe wrote (see)

Old people are always complaining aren't they...  

And they smell of wee. Mind you, so do some of the younger ones....

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/08/2012 at 19:14

especially when they've peed on the bike!

Running Postie    pirate
15/08/2012 at 19:21

damn, I'm out, it appears I have too much experience

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.