Considering the switch to tri

but I have a concern...

21 to 40 of 67 messages
Farnie    pirate
18/08/2009 at 20:16

you'll not get any from me......

cheapo boozio...

18/08/2009 at 20:18

I'll pass you over a glass of Pims then.  

TheEngineer    pirate
18/08/2009 at 20:44

Pre-race piss up? This sounds like my style...

I'm from Newcastle (u-Lyme), Monique, though most of my time now is spent in Leeds (at uni). I think my computer is against this whole triathlon lark - it's slowly falling on its sword since I mentioned it.

TheEngineer    pirate
18/08/2009 at 20:45
Going to give up now, maybe it's just tired. I'm going for a swim! (Let's see what I remember!)
Farnie    pirate
18/08/2009 at 20:46

oooh Leeds I like Leeds

I was at Uni (doing engineering too) at Huds, so it was a nice easy train trip over to shop shop shop!!!

TheEngineer    pirate
18/08/2009 at 20:49
Farnie wrote (see)

oooh Leeds I like Leeds

I was at Uni (doing engineering too) at Huds, so it was a nice easy train trip over to shop shop shop!!!

Leeds is good for shopping. It has two Up & Running stores...
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/08/2009 at 22:24
Monique's a Leeds lass, I think. She's a damn fine triathete too, and a credit to the black n yellow.
TheEngineer    pirate
18/08/2009 at 23:05

Swim felt surprisingly good. Did 80 lengths, broken into 8x10 lengths, which I don't think was bad for a first session. Pretty tired now though. Maths says 80 lengths is about 1.2 miles. This can't be right? Can it?! I'm sure I've gone wrong somewhere...  That's a long way.

Well that's it then. I'm going to do it.

I have no money (being a student), but I have a gym membership for a pool, and I've already got myself sorted running-wise. Bike is needed, then I can start!

I just can't face the shame of my unassuming username! It kinda pales into insignificance against such testosticle filled monikers as Ultra-IronWolf.

18/08/2009 at 23:40
Your maths is right SE. Distance in the pool actually goes quite quickly when you break it into blocks. I'm a fellow student and Tri noob so hi
TheEngineer    pirate
19/08/2009 at 00:02
Hoofin wrote (see)
Your maths is right SE. Distance in the pool actually goes quite quickly when you break it into blocks. I'm a fellow student and Tri noob so hi

Hello! I'm very glad of this. I thought I was making a stupid mistake due to exercise addled brain. Glad to know I'm not an order of magnitude out! Will break it down into larger blocks next time, and add a bit of distance.

This triathlon thing is catching. It's probably my most googled word now!

19/08/2009 at 00:07
Bloody expensive aswell! With the swimming your focus should be on improving technique rather than volume. The running and biking will give you the fitness to do the distance and improving your technique will make you faster! (though that doesn't mean that long swims are completely redundant)
TheEngineer    pirate
19/08/2009 at 00:17

Right okay. Any Leeds folk who know where I can get some tips? I'll start googling again!

The expense is a major concern  be honest. When I commit to something generally, I'm willing to putin as much of my time and effort as possible. Money though, being a student, it not naturally forthcoming. I'd love it to be, but thems the breaks. I'd initially said I'd wait till I graduated to jump into Tri, but if I can scrape through now, I'm sure it will make me appreciate all the nice things I can buy much more, when the time comes that I'm actually earning!

mellifera    pirate
19/08/2009 at 09:07

Leeds and Bradford Tri - really friendly club. I'm in york and a member of LBT.

LBT 

PSC    pirate
19/08/2009 at 09:35
Cancel you gym membership that will save you loads. Join you local masters swim group as it is likely to be cheaper and will have coaches there. Then use Gods gym. Outdoors.

Goodluck with it.
TheEngineer    pirate
19/08/2009 at 09:48

I'm afraid I'm contracted with the gym for another 6 months.

And you're right, it will save me a fair packet! Aside from that, I also have the Uni gym, which soon will boast a pool of its own. 

As for LBT, looks good. Might have to get my backside down to join... eeeee this is exciting!

19/08/2009 at 09:56
"Maths says 80 lengths is about 1.2 miles"

you're an engineer and you're working in Imperial?????? how bizarre..

I was taught in Imperial but work in metric
TheEngineer    pirate
19/08/2009 at 10:14

I'm an engineer and I was raised with metric. As the Ironman seems to be more Imperial based, I decided to convert to Imperial.

I'm a mixed up soul, really. 

19/08/2009 at 10:21
"As the Ironman seems to be more Imperial based,"

errrrm - it's not..

it's a 3800m swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run - OK the run is converted from a 26mile 365yd marathon but the other 2 are clearly metric
TheEngineer    pirate
19/08/2009 at 10:33
I'm sorry. I'm new to this, as must be clear. I was always familiar with 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a marathon. Like here and here and here. Is this not the case for official distances?
19/08/2009 at 10:40
but you'll also find the metric measures are widely used as well - especially in European events...

the 2 measures are interchangeable but as WTC who own the IM brand are American they will quote the imperial measures....

at the end of the day a few metres/yards either way in an IM will count for little!!

however, the ITU (International Triathlon Union) works all events in metric so a standard distance tri is a 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run

my preference is metric - it's a bit cleaner in my mind than Imperial....
21 to 40 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.