Contemplating my first tri .....

21 to 34 of 34 messages
17/06/2012 at 21:46
'My first Tri in 2000'

Erm, may I just as you don't look old enough.
17/06/2012 at 21:50
No special gear necessarily needed for first one. Swim in trunks, run into T1, chuck on shorts and T, shoes, skid lid, grab bike. Out on bike.

Come back from bike, T2, rack bike, remove helmet, go out on run.

Finish run, grab medal and event T and smile for the rest of the day
meface    pirate
17/06/2012 at 22:49
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
, remove helmet, go out on run.

Why did you have to remind him of that bit - always the funniest part of the day.

18/06/2012 at 07:03

Karlarl - just go for it and don't worry about embarrassing yourself, tris are loads of fun even when you're fairly crap at them! Get in some swimming practice to make sure you still remember how and definitely get yourself a pair of goggles, but apart from that no fancy kit required.

I did my first tri a couple of months ago in a very unflattering secondhand suit on my tatty old mountain bike and with a borrowed helmet. Was obviously a clueless newbie at what turned out to be rather a 'serious' event and everyone was really friendly and not at all up themselves, even though most of them had bikes that cost more than my car!

Edited: 18/06/2012 at 07:03
18/06/2012 at 10:50
'My first Tri in 2000'

Is that directed at me???

I'll have you know I did my first push bike race in 1985 aged 14 and I'm not a kick in the ass off 42!!! Anyhoos I'll take it as a compliment if it was directed at me thanks

Nurse Ratched    pirate
18/06/2012 at 11:02

Hi Karlarl, and welcome.

I'm doing my first tri next month, and have had loads of great advice from the lovely people on here.  
I also worry about making a tit of myself, but I am really looking forward to the day. 

May I just say that I am bloody amazed that gastank hasn't signed you up for IM next year.  
You feeling ok, gas?  Or is this the stealth approach? 

18/06/2012 at 12:41
chilliboy70 wrote (see)
'My first Tri in 2000'

I'll have you know I did my first push bike race in 1985 aged 14 and I'm not a kick in the ass off 42!!! Anyhoos I'll take it as a compliment if it was directed at me thanks

That was directed at you and it was, indeed, a compliment.  I would have said early to mid-thirties, so you're looking good 

Britrisky    pirate
18/06/2012 at 13:06

Like Nurse I'm doing my first tri next month, and am also really looking forward to it.

I hadn't swum much until about 6 weeks ago. I could only do 1 or 2 lengths and needed to catch my breath, but can do a mile now - I bet you'll make loads of progress really quickly, especially with an event to aim for.

Not so bothered about the transitions now - my friend watched one last year where one lady got out of the pool and had a shower before going on her bike!

18/06/2012 at 13:11

I did my first sprint Tri in April at Kendal and bloody loved it even though I almost drowned in the pool, my gears kept slipping on the bike and I ran with a stress fracture in my leg! lol 

18/06/2012 at 14:02
chilliboy70 wrote (see)
'My first Tri in 2000'

That was directed at you and it was, indeed, a compliment.  I would have said early to mid-thirties, so you're looking good 

Thanks Schmunks :beems like a little kid:

18/06/2012 at 14:49

No need to worry about looking a fool - everyone else will be focused on what they are doing, not you.

22/06/2012 at 11:30
You all have a lot to answer for, form n money's in the post so no real turning back now. I'll be sure to post my experience when the time comes!
23/06/2012 at 19:29

Congrats on taking the plunge and yes, we do want a race report afterwards 

25/06/2012 at 10:31

Well done Karlarl.  You won't regret it.  I did my first sprint yesterday (750m pool swim), and I'm utterly hooked ... knew I would be.  Even though my swim was shite, I was cheered out of the pool cos I was the last one in.  And the only way is up from there!

You'll love it.  As a seasoned vet of ONE tri, my only advice would be to not agonise over time, just go and enjoy it and learn from any mistakes.  You'll be buzzing.  Good luck!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.