Converting a mountain bike for road use

What do I need to do?

1 to 20 of 36 messages
19/01/2006 at 14:01
I have an old mountain bike that I want to convert for "road" use, can anyone give any advice on what I should be doing to it and what bits I need, where to buy them etc etc. Have thought the following is a start.

Fitting narrower wheels and tyres
Getting some SPD pedals and shoes
Changing riding position (ie raising saddle and moving saddle forward on the rails)

Any other advice before I head off to my local bike shop this weekend (don't want to sound a total numpty!)

I'm intending on spending about £150 max including shoes. Or for this money should I be looking for a 2nd hand road bike on e-bay?!
cougie    pirate
19/01/2006 at 14:04
Just get some slick tyres.

SPDs or Time ATACS are good pedals.

Maybe add either a small tribar in the middle or long bar ends.

What MTB is it ?
19/01/2006 at 14:06
hating to be silly

raise the seat lower the bars

put straps on if you do not want spds

er ride the bike

ps. pancracer do some nice 26x1.8 tyres great off road and fast on it
19/01/2006 at 14:53
Cougie, its a v old MTB. A 10 yr old Diamond Back 17" frame, still in pretty good nick and the frame and gear shifters are the only original things on it! Spent £100 on it last summer getting new bottom bracket, crank, and chainset so mechanically its sound. Oh, it has bar ends too!

cougie    pirate
19/01/2006 at 15:03
I'd keep spending on it to a minimum as tribars and slicks would give the most bang for your buck. You could spend a fortune on the bike to save seconds after that.

Put the rest of the money towards a fast road bike for next season.
19/01/2006 at 15:05
Spend £25 on some bolt cutters and nick a good bike?
19/01/2006 at 15:10
there were these blue flashing lights.....
19/01/2006 at 15:19
Rather than spending the money on all this, why don't ya just get another bike? A ten year old DB is gonna weigh a frickin' ton!

If you're just toe dipping then it might be an idea to use the DB as Cougs said, with slicks. If ya want some decent slicks try Continental City Contacts. They're guaranteed puncture proof for a year and they're foooooking brilliant!
19/01/2006 at 18:09
Buy a new one, probably cheaper than adding all the extras

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/

Good deals
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
19/01/2006 at 18:33
Not a Diamond Back Wildwood is it? I have a 10 year one of those to... ohh let me check..

Yep its still here.

I thought of converting it like you are but its good enough for charging round the cycleways in Milton Keynes and obviously still retains its off road potential (depth mud permitting).

Im not going as fast as if converted or as a road bike but for a given riding time the effort is the same..
19/01/2006 at 18:34
Oh and if you live near MK, Phil Corley Bikes sale starts on Saturday.
AndrewSmith    pirate
19/01/2006 at 19:01
errr.... whey do you want to convert it, it's a bike, just ride it, you don't need to do anything to make it a 'road' bike.
19/01/2006 at 19:10
He might want to go faster, would be better for commuting if faster...

Id imagine road tyres are more suited to riding on roads to.....

So there... neeerrrrrrrrr..
AndrewSmith    pirate
19/01/2006 at 19:19
wimps
19/01/2006 at 19:45
Right,

Fit slick tyres. The narrower, lighter and smoother the tread pattern the better.

Pump your tyres up. You want to be running at least 80psi. Basically whatever your rims / tyres will take. Most roadies will use either 23 or 25mm tyres and a slightly higher pressure.

SPD (Clipless) pedals can make a BIG difference. Most roadie's don't actually use the spd system but prefer either Time or Look because SPD’s can cause hot spots on long rides. However, for muddy off road riding SPD is still the preferred choice.

Strap pedals (clip) are generally considered as dangerous. If the straps are tight enough for the straps to be effective you can’t easily/quickly remove your foot. Personnly, I wouldn't use them.

Fit rigid forks. Suspension forks will sap your power and they are extra weight. It isn’t too hard to fit a new set of forks and you can pick a pair up for about £20 on ebay.

Lower you handlebars and put a longer stem on for a more aerodynamic position.

To set your saddle----
Put your heal on the pedal (with the pedal at the bottom) now move the saddle up until you leg is straight. There’s no need to move your saddle forward.

AndrewSmith    pirate
19/01/2006 at 21:10
why??????????????????????
20/01/2006 at 09:12
... and make sure you buy a pair of Pace ti RC31's cos they're mega sexy. If you buy em and decided to give them to me... That'd be nice.
20/01/2006 at 12:53
that would be good.....10 year old bike not worth its weight in scrap (probably) with brand new pace rigid forks!

put some slicks on and some spd's or cheap looks, tinker with position a bit and roberts your father's brother!
20/01/2006 at 15:20
... My bike's not ten years old ;-D
20/01/2006 at 16:58
I am with Smithy on this one! I have a mountain bike with mountain bike tyres, ride it everywhere in the winter.
1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.