Cotswold 113 goes long in 2014

A new iron distance event for Summer 2014

21 to 40 of 88 messages
citizen 146    pirate
06/04/2013 at 20:56

this is looking like a nice bet for me in 2014

06/04/2013 at 21:01

Reluctant to commit to anything for 2014 yet but I have my doubts about Henley happening next year and this looks like a good alternative.

08/04/2013 at 16:11

If you want to get a feel for Cotswold 226, then why not enter one of their middle distance events this year?

I have C&P'd this from their most recent newsletter

Cotswold 113 (16th June 2013) and Cotswold Classic (11th August 2013) slots

We still have around 60 individual slots and around 5 relay slots available for entry at the June 113 and around 200 & 8 respectively for the August Cotswold Classic.

The slots are available online through www.113events.com

If you're not familiar with our 2 current races, then both events are held on the same Middle Distance course based out of Ashton Keynes Waterpark in the heart of the Cotswolds. The bike course is almost pan flat apart from one small climb and the run course is around +/-3m overall, so it's a fast course that's ideal for people either new to the Half Iron distance or those looking to smash out a new PB.

We try and provide for everyone and we have no strict cutoffs in any of the individual elements. The overall 'official' cutoff is 7hrs 30mins, but we've had finishers come in over the 8hr mark, and as long as you've not stopped for a 2hour pub lunch on the course, then within reason we'll keep the finish open and give you your medal and finish time for as long as it takes.

The races also have the facility for entrants to choose their own race number (we email out this around 4weeks before race date, and numbers are first come first served), choose a swim wave with their friends, family and club mates and rack with groups so you're not stuck out on your own during what can be quite a daunting experience if it's your first go at this distance. Flexibility is what we aim to provide, so if there's anything out of the usual you want, then let us know and we'll see what we can come up with for you (we've provided marmite sandwiches on aid stations for a competitor before as an example - I'm not convinced personally on the nutritional benefit of them though ! haha)

What have you got to lose?

08/04/2013 at 16:13

And this about the proposed 226

2014 Events

As those of you that follow our facebook page or twitter feed will know, we're in the planning stages for an Iron Distance Triathlon in 2014 we're calling Cotswold226

We're still very early in the planning stages, but we've got together with the guys at DBMAX, and we're aiming to make Cotswold226 on as flat and as fast a course as possible without using too much of the existing 113 course. We're aiming for early summer, so around end May/early June. We'll aim to have entries open by the later this year.

Once more details are available, we'll send them out through our newsletter as well as facebook and twitter, so if you're interested, keep in touch.

They 113 and Classic will still be running and the 113 will stay mid June as it's normal weekend (one week later) is still occupied by the summer solstice and the police can't support our race in as many numbers as we'd like due to this). The August dated classic will also likely move back towards the end of August as per 2012.

Although it's still nothing like fixed. we may potentially have an end of season Olympic distance race next year too based on the number of requests, but that's even earlier in the planning stages, so we'll keep you all posted on that one too

Stoatally Different    pirate
08/04/2013 at 18:02
Earlier in the year than outlaw then so even more cold training
I was hoping it would be later in the year
M...eldy    pirate
08/04/2013 at 21:12

Early summer ....  not for me then, I am not doing back to back winter training thank you very much

08/04/2013 at 22:30

Ooooh dear I'm sure I have no right to feel as excited as I do just by reading this. Feel too awake now; will never be in the pool for 6!

I have just remembered what it feels like to go to bed eyes wide and sparkling and grinning really hard on Christmas Eve -  WOW! 

08/04/2013 at 22:45
Join me on the suggested Oly distance at the close of 2014 season, tho Melds?
MTRIumphant    pirate
09/04/2013 at 08:29

Hmm, May/early June, not quite as appealing now.

09/04/2013 at 08:32

lurks.  Not keen on winter bike training but last summer was almost as bad as winter anyway. I'll see how I feel after Henley, I may have sold my bike after that. 

Oli distance might be nice. Haven't done one yet. 

citizen 146    pirate
09/04/2013 at 09:50
It seems to me that early in the season is very good timing, it's not as if we get any warm weather guarantees anyway, this time last year it was in the 70s. And as for the half (classic) August is perfect as nothing happens in Aug! Am excited about both of these..........
09/04/2013 at 17:24

Hi All

The date is still very undecided yet.

We basically have two options ;
1) go early in the year around end may/early june where there's not an already established large scale long distance race

2) Go later in the year, and be up against the larger, more established events (think IMUK,IMWales and maybe challenge henley if it runs another year

We've had early mtgs today with the guys at the lake and they're keen on a later date, but we'll keep you all posted

I'm certainly super keen to hear what you guys think is the best time of year and whether starting training early in the winter is really a blocker.
I've done early season Ironmans where I'm logging long boring base miles in dec and it's sucked, but at the same time, I did IMUK in 08 where it was mid Sept and I was ready for the season's main race to be over by August..

Let us know what you think and thanks for the feedback so far

seren nos    pirate
09/04/2013 at 17:26

last year the spring was wonderful for training and the summer was wet......

this year the spring has been variable to say the least...

you never know what the weather will do so you just need to get out there

09/04/2013 at 17:32

No.  No no no no no. I'm having a year off next year.  I am.

*sigh*

seren nos    pirate
09/04/2013 at 17:35

I'm thinking if i commit in my mind to this i will stop my mind going off tangent to do some silly long stuff

citizen 146    pirate
09/04/2013 at 17:41
I would like an early season event, or one in August, but on balance would prefer May. As stated above we live in the UK so all bets are off! Capture the gap in the market. Plus like the idea of a more athlete centered approach
Britrisky    pirate
09/04/2013 at 17:56
If I survive Outlaw this year I really fancy this, but May would put me off because I'd like to get a spring marathon in and still have time to recover for the iron tri, so July or Aug would suit me more ... It'd also give me more time to practice in OW as well
M...eldy    pirate
09/04/2013 at 19:07

July/August would win me over .... May would put me off

Dont clash with Le Tour tho 

purpletrilady    pirate
09/04/2013 at 19:59

May would definitely put me off. Winter training and cold water!

July/August is much more civilised 

10/04/2013 at 07:48

I would definately be up for this - but on a purely selfish note would have to vote for later in the summer too!

Mrs MTH is in the early-mid stages of planning her walk from LE to JOG for next spring (I think this could be even more expensive than IM - we are looking at camper vans for me and the kids tomorow!!!!!) so early season training for me is going to be limited as will be in full support mode.

* How do you keep two pre-school kids entertained for 6 weeks in a camper van if the weather is awful? *

21 to 40 of 88 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.